• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working On The M561 Gama Goat

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the bad news on the radiator. It was 75% clogged then had the seam melt on top of that so no way to save it. They can recore it and that's going to run $500 after taxes but at least I should have a radiator that will last as long as I do.

Oh, and VOTE FOR THE M561 for MV of the month! It might take some of the sting out of paying 1/3 the cost of the vehicle for a radiator repair.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...July-VOTE-HERE

wsucougarx

You got my vote sir. Still waiting on buying a Goat. Been working a ton of OT to secure the funds. Man, I don't think I've ever wanted a MV more than I do a Goat. Not sure what it is. Must be it's beautiful hard to refuse looks...hahaha.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You got my vote sir. Still waiting on buying a Goat. Been working a ton of OT to secure the funds. Man, I don't think I've ever wanted a MV more than I do a Goat. Not sure what it is. Must be it's beautiful hard to refuse looks...hahaha.
As I've said before, a Goat is like me - so far past ugly it's back around to cute again.

TexAndy

Got the bad news on the radiator. It was 75% clogged then had the seam melt on top of that so no way to save it. They can recore it and that's going to run $500 after taxes but at least I should have a radiator that will last as long as I do.

Oh, and VOTE FOR THE M561 for MV of the month! It might take some of the sting out of paying 1/3 the cost of the vehicle for a radiator repair.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...July-VOTE-HERE

Bummer. That seems a bit on the high side for a re-core job.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Strapped the tires down again. Heading up to Sarge's on Thursday so he can get his set. Hopefully the rest will be gone Labor Day.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bummer. That seems a bit on the high side for a re-core job.
Well I could waste money hauling it around to a couple other shops and waiting for 2 or 3 days for each of them to write an estimate on it to maybe save $100 or I can have it done by Friday. I choose to get it done and over with so I can go back to enjoying it.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Radiator is done and I'll be picking it up this morning. With a little luck and determination (and not having lost any of the hardware) I should have it in by the end of the weekend so we'll be good to go for next Saturday's Cruise in. It's about a 30 mile drive each way but I should be able to see if I can hit 60mph!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its in place but not "in." This is the part I struggle with; the fine motor skills required to massage something gently in place.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wish I was closer I would swing by and help you out.
I appreciate the offer. Depending on his schedule Keith_J helps out quite a bit and TexAndy when he can take a whole day as it's a pretty good drive for him. I'll get it done before next Saturday's show one way or another.

TexAndy

I appreciate the offer. Depending on his schedule Keith_J helps out quite a bit and TexAndy when he can take a whole day as it's a pretty good drive for him. I'll get it done before next Saturday's show one way or another.

I can make it up sunday, if that works for you.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well one step forward and two steps back. We got the radiator all in and buttoned up (TexAndy decided he doens't really won't one after all now that he's tried wrenching on it), filled the left radiator tank through the hose fitting, filled the pressure tank, fired it up and heard major leaking coming from underneath. Unfortunately (or fortunately however you want to look at it) the leak wasn't a coolant issue but about a gallon of oil spewing from the filter canister. Now it's back to fighting to get it off and back on correctly. Andy and I spent about half an hour attempting to get the air filter base off but couldn't swing it. I was hoping if it was out of the way I'd be able to see the oil filter housing so I could get it back on correctly. Now it's back to trying to go by feel with a set of numb fingers.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With my passenger seat out and center console out you have access to the oil canister, might want to try that.
Thanks Mark. I'll give that a try tomorrow as I'm pretty shot today. Even with most of the work on the radiator done Friday and Saturday it still took us close to 3 hours to get everything finished. Every little hose, bracket, bolt, etc seems to be in such a position as to have about 1/100th" of clearance and about the same space to get wrenches to it.

Another Ahab

Thanks Mark. I'll give that a try tomorrow as I'm pretty shot today. Even with most of the work on the radiator done Friday and Saturday it still took us close to 3 hours to get everything finished. Every little hose, bracket, bolt, etc seems to be in such a position as to have about 1/100th" of clearance and about the same space to get wrenches to it.
Product that is engineered like that (and very little is not), is a Royal P.I.A.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks