• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working On The M561 Gama Goat

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to Barrman I have the correct Blackout Marker doors for the rear of the Goat. I was using a set of BO Drive covers for the tails. I'm sure very few people noticed or knew the difference (he did) but its nice to have the correct ones. I still need to tape and paint them before changing them out.

Another friend tried to help out by getting me some .30 Cal cans for the ammo rack. I told him last night they looked a little small and he guaranteed they were the exact same size. To make them work I'd have to put 4.5 of them in to fill the space :). I'll keep looking.

Attachments

Another Ahab

How come you haven't reinstalled the windshield?
I like it topless and windowless. It matches the wife's M37 that way.

If I found a set of top bows I might reconsider but it's a whole lot easier getting in and out of it without the top and since the top is gone it looks good without the windshield. Tactically speaking you want less reflective surfaces too.
That's an idea but I still have to have the windshield installed to have even that. Maybe I can put a 24v fan on the dash to keep the wind in my face.
Build a windshield frame without glass

Fuhgehdahboutt any pesky windshield.

Just get yourself a pair of these and you're all good-to-go: :-D

Glasses.jpg

Another Ahab

Another friend tried to help out by getting me some .30 Cal cans for the ammo rack. I told him last night they looked a little small and he guaranteed they were the exact same size. To make them work I'd have to put 4.5 of them in to fill the space :). I'll keep looking.
Maybe they accidentally got wet in transit, and shrunk.

TexAndy

As far as a windshield without glass goes, there's got to be some dead goats out there with smashed windshield glass but otherwise decent metal. Shirley you can pick one of those up for a song.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as a windshield without glass goes, there's got to be some dead goats out there with smashed windshield glass but otherwise decent metal. Shirley you can pick one of those up for a song.
I'm a bad singer and don't call me "Shirley."

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BO tail lights swapped and 1 troop seat in and bolted down. Already in the mid-80s on its way to the upper 90s. I may get the other troop seat in and the pioneer tools stowed today but more than likely will leave that for this evening. I still have to prep the deuce for the Soldiers Angels event tomorrow so need to pace myself.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went ahead and got the stuff done. I need to nose dive down and check the steering box so I'll save that for this evening. I'll probably put the wrong style BO Drive light on just as a place holder until I get the correct one this evening too.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the BO Drive light on, topped the steering box off with a couple of squirts of JD Cornhead grease and took her for a spin around the neighborhood. Having trouble getting the throttle to return completely so still at a fairly high rev when shifting. I've greased the zirks on the linkage and shot WD40 on all of the joints that don't have zirks but still sticking. Also the speedo gave out while I was tooling around. Probably just the cable coming loose from the gauge but I'll leave that to check tomorrow.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Set up at the Soldier's Angels Charity Rodeo. Got up to 50mph only because I was holding back due to the deuce. I still had half a pedal and was holding back to not run away from the M35. I did shoot some GoPro video on the way over but need to edit it.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So much for the 1st big road trip. They say Goats will eat anything and unfortunately mine ate a fan belt on the way home. My trailer is loaded with tires so we're going to try slowly flat towing it home with me steering. Luckily we're in my subdivision and only have about 3 miles and 4 turns to get there.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made it home. Surprised that the tires tracked fairly well with the only steering needed was on 90 degree turns.

Looks like MuttParts has a set of belts so hopefully I can have them here and installed before too long. I wasn't driving when this one tanked so I still haven't gotten to open it up all the way and find out how fast she really will go.

Last edited:

m38inmaine

The belts on mine were so dry rotted that they just pulled off in pieces. Mark, they are a standard size 3/8 x 35(water pump) v-belt a very common size, you should be able to get them locally very easy. A common part number is 3L-350. The longer fan belts(1/2x67) are 4L670.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The belts on mine were so dry rotted that they just pulled off in pieces. Mark, they are a standard size 3/8 x 35(water pump) v-belt a very common size, you should be able to get them locally very easy. A common part number is 3L-350. The longer fan belts(1/2x67) are 4L670.
The -34P has the water pump length at 33". Did you replace yours yet? Just wondering if the TM was wrong. They don't have the length listed for the fan belts just the width.

MuttParts has them for $9 for the set. I needed some other stuff from them and figured that was about as cheap as I could find ones. Maybe I'll get some locally and save those as spares.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks