• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working On The M561 Gama Goat

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Love the M 60. Will you need a different MG mount than the one you had on it? By the way, loved the walk around video!
No that is the correct mount. There is a minor modification for the airsoft (compared with an actual one) on the mounting pin but everything else fits.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is a long shot, but will a deuce radiator work on a gamma goat?

If so, you can have my parts truck radiator.
The core might work but the inlet and outlet pipes are in different locations. I haven't heard from Keith so I'm just going to start pulling it tonight and see if I can get it to a radiator shop before the weekend.

No one has brought up the possibility of a warped head yet. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it runs after the radiator has been taken care of.

TexAndy

I hope not. It is possible, being an aluminum head and how hot it got.

There is a method for straightening heads, tho. I think they measure them, then bolt them to a flat piece of steel with shims at various spots depending on how it's warped, then bake it in an oven. That's supposed to straighten the important bits on the inside. Then they can plane the other side true, so it seals ok to the top of the engine block.

Again, I can help you out this weekend.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok I've had worse tear downs but that doesn't mean it was enjoyable. Anyone have leads on new radiator hoses? Might as well replace them while I'm in there. The inlet is easy but the outlet is a formed hose.

Pic of the whole radiator, one of the split seam and one of the fitting from the expansion tank to the top of the radiator that twisted off while trying to undo it. Should know tomorrow if it's repairable.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark - good advice on swapping the other belts as well. I gotta tell you changing the waterpump belts is a dream compared to the fan belts (and thats with the rad out too). Just push down on the idler arm, slip off the old ones, slip on the new ones and you're done!

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is some great shots ....Lost of rust also I see..
Actually the rust is on the deck of my M116 trailer. I took the old belts outside in the light for the picture. Unless you were talking about the radiator and in that case there is some minor surface rust on the bottom but it's very light and the junk on the fins is leaves.

Last edited:

combat32

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I would think if the head had warped you would have coolant in your oil, if not I bet you are good to go. Do you have the numbers for those belts?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The belts on mine were so dry rotted that they just pulled off in pieces. Mark, they are a standard size 3/8 x 35(water pump) v-belt a very common size, you should be able to get them locally very easy. A common part number is 3L-350. The longer fan belts(1/2x67) are 4L670.
Sorry to hear about your troubles, I would think if the head had warped you would have coolant in your oil, if not I bet you are good to go. Do you have the numbers for those belts?
These are the ones Mark gave me and they seem to fit perfectly. If you're not in a hurry the water pump belts are $9 for both from MuttParts and $10 each from NAPA.

m38inmaine

I'm glad to hear the belts fit. That radiator looks very similar to a cucv radiator. I am going to pull mine as well and have it cleaned and checked so don't feel alone.

TexAndy

I was telling a friend of mine about this truck and engine and he seemed to think it was a fairly common engine, used in alot of industrial stuff. Is that true?

combat32

Yes they are pretty common, seen several in boats, big difference is the military 353's had an aluminum block versus iron for civy applacations

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks