• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working On The M561 Gama Goat

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those reinstalling your engines I highly recommend you put all the radiator support items back on BEFORE putting the motor in. You don't have to put the radiator in but the side pieces to the support at proving to be a pita. The bottom of the support bolts in to the bottom of the cross bar holding the radiator. It's a very tight, angled area and with no feeling in my finger tips I've spent about an hour trying to get 1 bolt started.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you run into a green that is "almost 383 green, but not quite" on equipment, it is likely 34079 Forest Green. It is the normal factory green for antenna bases, gun mounts, and other equipment (post-OD period).
It is the dark green used in the MERDC camo (also USAF aircraft, and airfield support gear in 24079 guise), available from Rapco and others.

Cheers

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you run into a green that is "almost 383 green, but not quite" on equipment, it is likely 34079 Forest Green. It is the normal factory green for antenna bases, gun mounts, and other equipment (post-OD period).
It is the dark green used in the MERDC camo (also USAF aircraft, and airfield support gear in 24079 guise), available from Rapco and others.

Cheers
What's currently on there is lighter than that. More like really faded 383. I'm going to concentrate more on getting it back together and less on how it looks. I prefer driving it more than staring at it.

combat32

CRS is one of the many side affects of MS so you'll need to remind me to remind you in 30 days. Likely I'll still be working on that bolt.
They left most of those bolts out of mine, guess the last mechanic who worked on it decided they were too hard to get to and not real necessary.

Keith_J

CRS is one of the many side affects of MS so you'll need to remind me to remind you in 30 days. Likely I'll still be working on that bolt.
Cannot be any more difficult than the nuts holding a CUCV injection pump onto the timing chain cover ;)

If you need me tomorrow, the wife is working so I have a kitchen pass.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it's alive again. The mrs tried getting those bolts in I spent an hour on and had the exact same luck - none. When Keith_J got here today we spitballed a couple of different ideas and then he suggested putting the bolts in without the panels and just slotting the bottom of the panel so we could slide it over the bolts already in place. Worked like a charm.

We also got the new oil filter adapter and canister installed, filled all the fluids, put the batts back in and it fired just as quick as the old one. Only issue that came up was a Class 3 oil leak at the oil pressure sending unit. It was the line coming out of the block to the sender so we just pulled the one off the old engine (it's nice having extra parts) reinstalled it and everything's fine again.

Still need to bleed the brakes before we can road test it but that should be on Monday.

image.jpg

Keith_J

The oil pressure sending unit line is like all other compression fittings on the 561, something odd and proprietary as it has coarse threads and a unique ferrule. It leaked as it has a limit to compression and the tube was compressed too much.

Keith_J

At least the spin on oil filter adapter didn't leak ;).

I have been looking all morning for those compression fittings online...no luck :(

frenchman

do not take any short cut on the break do it right the 1st time other wise you will have to go back to it and dont forget to remove the 2 rubber washer with a small hole in it on the side of the master cylinder leave the spring and metal washer inside that will prevent wheel lock up it happen to me when i restored my goat
frenchman

Gamagoat1

You can see those little steel tubes I was telling you about, in the water holes. They are designed to lesson the possibility of erosion to the block top by the water flow. When you order the gasket set be sure to tell them it's the aluminum block. They will say, HUH? The right gasket set will have new steel
tubes and silicone tubes to put them in.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can see those little steel tubes I was telling you about, in the water holes. They are designed to lesson the possibility of erosion to the block top by the water flow. When you order the gasket set be sure to tell them it's the aluminum block. They will say, HUH? The right gasket set will have new steel
tubes and silicone tubes to put them in.
I'm not rebuilding this one. It's going to be carved up and sent to 2 other Goats in progress. I'll let my misfortune be to someone else's benefit. Of course if any extra soft top hardware is floating around I wouldn't be against using these as collateral.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks