• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Would there be any interest in an all Stainless steel brake line kit for a deuce?

peashooter

I could put together a FULL KIT for the deuce (assuming anyone is interested) until someone comes up with a prebent exact factory replacment for those who want restoration original stuff.

To go along with the Stainless Steel braided hose kit, I can put together a HARD LINE kit consiting of the really nice COPPER/NICKEL easy bend line (rust & Corrosion PROOF). It wouldn't come pre-bent but you can litterally hand bend it as you install it.
-I can easily supply a MATERIAL ONLY KIT with the appropriate length of Hard line and the proper fittings. (You would need to cut lines to length, slide fittings on, and flare) ~free loaner flare tool at O'Reilley Autoparts and many other parts stores~
-Or if there is interest, a PRE MADE KIT (already cut, fittings installed and flared with a high quality tool for perfect flares).

PM me if you interested.
Thanks for the interest and pm's guys, just give me a few days and Ill get some firm prices. I have the cost of the material but not the footage or number of fittings. My truck has the dual circuit brakes so most lines are the same as a standard deuce but it also has many extra lines. I'll go out and measure a couple trucks' lines and then have a firm material kit cost. I'll make a set or 2 of completed line kits (again you bend them as needed during install) to figure out how much extra the finished/assembled kit would be. As a ball park guess, I'm thinking a material only kit would be under $150 and a finished/assembled kit around $100 more. (Hard line kit only, flex lines are separate)

Ill update mid-week with final prices then put something in the classifieds.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

My kit would be for a single circuit truck and I would need the braided lines as well. I don't care what color the flex lines are. When you get it all figured up shoot me a total price please.

rustystud

Peashooter, while your at it would you make one up with the dual brake system too. Since you have one also, I figured you would be making up one for your self, so what's one more :)

By the way, that's me with my M60A1 Rise Passive Tank, I wish Uncle Sam would allow us common people to have them :tank:

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Peashooter, while your at it would you make one up with the dual brake system too. Since you have one also, I figured you would be making up one for your self, so what's one more /QUOTE]

I would be in also for a dual brake replacement kit.

I mean as long as it's all being pulled out. Is it "easy" enough to install a dual brake system, where there was a once a single-cylinder system?

I recognize that there might be a WHOLE lot more to it then it seems. Any wisdom here about the switch-out?

Last edited:

peashooter

Peashooter, while your at it would you make one up with the dual brake system too. Since you have one also, I figured you would be making up one for your self, so what's one more /QUOTE]

I would be in also for a dual brake replacement kit.

I mean as long as it's all being pulled out. Is it "easy" enough to install a dual brake system, where there was a once a single-cylinder system?

I recognize that there might be a WHOLE lot more to it then it seems. Any wisdom here about the switch-out?
sure I can do a dual circuit kit but I'll probably have to put that out a month or two (too busy). My advice for a dual circuit retro fit would be to get all the stuff out of a junk a3 truck. You need the special master cylinder, differential valve, second airpac and bracket, 2 chamber air tank, and some misc items like reservoir, mounts, dash light.

peashooter

Well the GOOD NEWS is that I was able to get a full set of brake lines off a standard single circuit deuce yesterday (thanks to Tie6044 for letting me take them off a parts truck).

The BAD NEWS is that I underestimated how many feet of brake line there was on a deuce. Its quite a bit.

The Stainless Braided Flex hoses would be separate, and they are DOT approved and stamped so all liablitity is on the hose MFG.

The Hard line kit above will NOT be DOT stamped (not sure if any hard lines ever are). They will be made with DOT approved hard line and fittings, and flared with a high quality turret die set for perfect flares. However for liablitity reasons I'm selling them for "OFF ROAD USE ONLY". (You would be welcome to return them for a full refund if you have any hesitations about the quality of them after you inspect them)

Anyway, I'm going to start off with making 1 finished kit now in order to get some pics and feedback, then put a classified listing up and see what happens. PM me if you are interested in the initial set... it would be nice if someone got it who planned on installing it right away.

Also a side note; After removing the frame mounted hardlines from the donor truck, I can't see how there would ever be a full pre-bent hardline set now. Not only are some of the lines over 8' long and would take a shipping box 6'x3', but installing a couple would be impossible with the way they snake through and around things (unless you remove some major components).

Last edited:

peashooter

Here are some pictures of the first kit. I put notes next to the groups of lines. There are 6 hard lines for the 3 axles, and 4 lines for the frame.... in total there is about 40 feet of hard line for a single circuit deuce. Then there are the 5 flexible hoses (stainless steel braided).
I learned a rather pricey lesson on this first set and that is to not use the less expensive NiCopp brand (made by AGS). They are 1 of only a few (3 maybe) that make the 5/16" size and it's garbage. It is thinner, harder, and flares terribly if at all. I actually brought it into a specialty brake shop that also sells the better brand cunifer line, and they couldnt get it to flare either... and these guys do this stuff for a living. I called AGS and they told me to return it, I must have got a bad run of it but not something I want to deal with again. So anyway, I'm only using the higher quality, heavier, thicker, easier to bend, and unfortunately more expensive stuff now but its well worth it. I can also add the stainless steel spiral wrap armor to the axle lines if wanted, but it does add about $50 to do all 3 axles. So finally a full brake line set that should outlast the truck.
Link to classified listing HERE

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

Peashooter, I got my 3 axle kit with the armor on the lines today. All I have to say is WHOA ! These lines are better then any factory lines I have ever installed before !!! I can't wait for the rest of the lines for my dual circuit system . With your brake lines and flex hoses and silicone fluid my brake system will still be working just fine for my great grandchildren !!!

peashooter

Just a follow up here.
I put together a thread FULL of deuce Brake info. Right now the first post is full of info on brake line lengths & sizes as well as how to make your own hard lines. Post 2 is dual circuit line info, post 3 is full of part numbers for new, replacment, and rebuild kits for all sorts of brake components & air pack stuff. You can find the BRAKE REFERENCE THREAD HERE

The Stainless steel Braided brake hoses can be found HERE now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks