• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wrecker bed differences

RAYZER

Thanks for the link DH !

Thanks Ron. My m246a1(so the story goe's),came out of North Carolina somewhere, ended up at a yacht brokerage yard in Tampa Fl, a guy over there bought it and traded it to a member of ss over here in my area, and i traded a m109 and some stuff for it.
This is next years project for me, it's gona take some work!

Attachments

Csm Davis

Zebdee the mounting like that is a unit modified thing so the number of holes may or may not be the same but one thing I have noticed is a lot of the trucks that have alternate light mounts had gun rings mounted. As to the antenna mount the same goes for it, but I do like mounting it on the front bumper instead of anywhere behind the cab on a wrecker.
As to the chain does anybody know for fact what it's for maybe in one of the tms?

Csm Davis

Thanks for the pictures and do you know the m number for the trailers looks like two different trailers the decks are different and do they tilt? Also so we are still on topic I like the spare tire mount on the first truck, wonder what's in the normal location?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oz Spare tyres n trailers

I'm still researching Oz wreckers, but I'd assume that the trailers were "upgraded" along with the trucks (from the 60's multi to the 70's 816), probably the same manufacturer but not sure.

As far as the "M" number, that is not an American trailer (I don't think) so wouldn't necessarilly have an "M" number. I have seen Vietnam military movement papers and reports etc., that detail equipment numbers. operations etc. I'll go back and check.

Other pics of multi fuels just shows a space where the US location of the spare is. Some units carried 2 spares, one aft, passenger side and the other behind the cab.

Csm Davis

Here's a few pics of the M819 bed.

Single boom lift cylinder.

5th wheel plate.

Extra boom extension(manually operated).

Gondola cab.

It has a hydraulic rotary motor for the turn table (unlike the earlier M62)

Same truck as the earlier M246 (gas engine), but has the Cummins NHC-250.
Here's a few pics of the M819 bed.

Single boom lift cylinder.

5th wheel plate.

Extra boom extension(manually operated).

Gondola cab.

It has a hydraulic rotary motor for the turn table (unlike the earlier M62)

Same truck as the earlier M246 (gas engine), but has the Cummins NHC-250.
Okay after looking more closely at your photos, in photo #2 the storage legs on the truck in the background are in a different position are there two different places to pin them? Also in the technical drawing it shows a push out bar and attachment brackets for the boom extension I don't see the brackets or bar on yours, and is that where that bar would be stored normally. Do you have a shot of where your torch bottles go? And thanks for the pictures.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Okay after looking more closely at your photos, in photo #2 the storage legs on the truck in the background are in a different position are there two different places to pin them? Also in the technical drawing it shows a push out bar and attachment brackets for the boom extension I don't see the brackets or bar on yours, and is that where that bar would be stored normally. Do you have a shot of where your torch bottles go? And thanks for the pictures.
No touch bottles on a 246/819,

If you LOOK at the tip of the main boom, right under the live boom, you will see the rear push bracket, The tm calls for a three peice push bar, heavy and hard to handle, I made a one peice push with storage mounts on the right side of the boom

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
No cutting bottles on the 246/819

If you look at the front of the main boom, right under the live boom, you will see the rear push bracket, The tm calls for a three peice push bar (heavy and hard to handle for one man), I made a one peice push bar with storage mounts on the right side of the boom.

gijoe

1 piece push bar

No touch bottles on a 246/819,

If you LOOK at the tip of the main boom, right under the live boom, you will see the rear push bracket, The tm calls for a three peice push bar, heavy and hard to handle, I made a one peice push with storage mounts on the right side of the boom
Mine came with a 1 piece push bar i thought that is whay they had. Mine is a m819 it is the one camo joe has in his pics of the m819 crane wrecker tractor.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made up a 3 piece bar for the boom extension. (no pics).

Post #14, pic 4, shows the boom extension push out tube.

Yes, there are 2 positions at the bottom, for the boom supports.

Csm Davis

Yes I saw them in the drawing picture#4 was asking about your truck I see a bracket on the boom extension but not on your boom, and is that where it should be stored? Also why the two storage positions?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yes I saw them in the drawing picture#4 was asking about your truck I see a bracket on the boom extension but not on your boom, and is that where it should be stored? Also why the two storage positions?
so you can pull a gooseneck lowbed and still support the boom

It is there, just have to look real close

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The push bar is stored loose on the bed, no particular storage place that I know of.

If you look closely in pics 1 and 2, you can see each of the brackets(also shown in pic 4). It is just a piece of angleiron with the V up, and about 2 inches long.

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The push bar is stored loose on the bed, no particular storage place that I know of.

If you look closely in pics 1 and 2, you can see each of the brackets(also shown in pic 4). It is just a piece of angleiron with the V up, and about 2 inches long.
The three preice comes apart and stores in the front bed tool box. according to the -10

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The brackets, are only used to set the push bar on, to extend the boob extension.

once extended, you pin the extension with 2 large(about 2" pins) though the side of the boom. Then the push bar is unneeded.

To collapse, you unpin the 2 pins and use the hoist cable to pull the extension back into the boom(with the hook lifted up tight to the boom). Then you replace the 2 large pins into the boom.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks