• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WTK: LMTV Shock absorber options

coachgeo

Has anyone came up with a cross reference for shock absorbers for LMTV? I see Fox has some but they're evidently in limited supplies.
looking at your Fbook... looks like you have 6x6 rear axle. or is that a high pinion newer single LMTV axle?? .. if 6x6 is it staying 6x6 with your mods... or ??

Ronmar

The possible issue with that Monroe 65485 in the parts listing is it is several inches shorter than the original shocks.

the specs for the shocks(A0 anyway) are:
20.94” compressed to 33.26” fully extended under 16mm bolt on one end. Thats 12.32” of travel…
5/8”/16MM top and 7/8”/22MM bottom bolt shank diameters. This shock dimension was obviously chosen for the expected range of travel

Something like a Monroe 65456 @ 20.25“- 32.88” might be a better match for the expected range of travel. Monroe specs them for class6-class8 trucks so the weights are in the ballpark… You would of course have to fab bushings/spacers to match up with the mounting bolts, but that is going to be true of most shocks you choose…

here is a link to one of several threads on that subject…

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/lmtv-shocks-absorbers.140362/

coachgeo

The possible issue with that Monroe 65485 in the parts listing is it is several inches shorter than the original shocks.

the specs for the shocks(A0 anyway) are:
20.94” compressed to 33.26” fully extended under 16mm bolt on one end. Thats 12.32” of travel…
5/8”/16MM top and 7/8”/22MM bottom bolt shank diameters. This shock dimension was obviously chosen for the expected range of travel

Something like a Monroe 65456 @ 20.25“- 32.88” might be a better match for the expected range of travel. Monroe specs them for class6-class8 trucks so the weights are in the ballpark… You would of course have to fab bushings/spacers to match up with the mounting bolts, but that is going to be true of most shocks you choose…

here is a link to one of several threads on that subject…

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/lmtv-shocks-absorbers.140362/
thanks for update on the other Monro Model. I know the 65485 one has been used successfully... maybe cause they are a bit stiffer than OEM?. The OEM appear to be, even at new...... extremely soft. The 65456 should then be even better

Ronmar

thanks for update on the other Monro Model. I know the 65485 one has been used successfully... maybe cause they are a bit stiffer than OEM?. The OEM appear to be, even at new...... extremely soft. The 65456 should then be even better
Well they are pretty HD shocks, it might also be that the ones in use havn’t been hammered enough off-road to beat them into submission…

Third From Texas

King makes one:

313424722_2026717224383096_5897750183762389737_n.jpg

And Seth runs ICON's on his M1079 (Brutus):

IMG_1908.jpg

No model numbers, sorry.

Ideally, you'd want to do it right at those prices. If you go with a racing shock, get with a salesman/tech and go over your weight/corner weights/travels. Then they can calculate the right body and valving.

When you get into that many zeros in the price, do it right. Honestly, I'd go with 3" bodies, remotes, and skip the bypasses (with this much weight your rebound adjustment, etc isn't really of much use).

coachgeo

Well they are pretty HD shocks, it might also be that the ones in use havn’t been hammered enough off-road to beat them into submission…
have got a set of monroe when they were on sale long ago. .... and handled a set of (not mine) NOS LMTV ...... good bit difference in stiffness.

wgtactical

looking at your Fbook... looks like you have 6x6 rear axle. or is that a high pinion newer single LMTV axle?? .. if 6x6 is it staying 6x6 with your mods... or ??
My high pinion axle is a modified 6x6 axle. My intentions was to purchase a ready to use axle and I am confident the gentleman who sold it as such thought that was what he had. After having to cut five of the six brackets off and properly locate them, I can now consider myself qualified to do another :LOL:

Like anything, if I had this project to do over I at least know what I am now trying to accomplish I suppose...

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found the Monroes that are widely touted on the interweb to be too short, only allowing for 1" of uptravel. I am currently fitting Ranchos that are meant for the rear of the Ford F350. "36A" they are called. I will report back how it goes.

Ronmar

I had talked with a ranco rep and they made long enough ones, but when i started giving him vehicle weights he was not thinking they would be appropriat(meant for lifted pickups?)... that was a while back though. He did suggest a large class truck shock and i related the difficulty i was having finding one long enough@ 33.25"

Then i came across the 65456, which is within 1/2" of the original A0 shock extended length(ithink it is the longest monroe makes) and it compresses approx 1/2" shorter than the oe shock. But it is in an appropriate weight class...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks