• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM211 Recovery trip

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is too bad. And scrap is low right now. We get $123 a ton for unprocessed vehicles today -less the tire fee. I'd part it out before I scrapped it. The bed and side racks will have value to more than GMC people. Too bad you are so far away.

Fuel pump, good exhaust manifold, original carb, airpack should bring close to what you'd get for scrap price. And they are mailable 2cents

The bed and side racks should bring close to what you would get for scrap price 2cents

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just out of curiosity, What was your asking price?

I search ebay every day and did not notice it.

Last edited:

AMGeneral

Have you ever tried this? Get it rolling in low range and then shift to high with the truck in motion? My M135 does like yours sometimes and the unorthodox fix is what I described. It is a Godawful bang when the clutch pops loose.
Yep,I have tried that more than once,even at governed engine speed in first gear,the shift to high will actually cause the truck to slide all 10 wheels.

If scrap is that low now(it was $10/100lb here last week)maybe I need to try that last trans before I submit it to the scrap heap

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem is all in the reduction unit, the ring gear clutch is stuck on, as long as the planetary clutch is released for low range you are good, but when the planetary clutch engages for high range, both are engaged at the same time, locking the transmission. The ring gear clutch is the one that as big around as the reduction case. I don't think this can be fixed inframe.

Last edited:

wilfreeman

So, are you getting rid of her because the trans (or reduction unit) is broke, or because you just don't want her? I would love to have one, but when I mentioned it to my wife, she walked off! I understood immediately what she was talking about! I'd hate to see her scrapped - being in that good of a condition, and only needing a little TLC.

AMGeneral

So, are you getting rid of her because the trans (or reduction unit) is broke, or because you just don't want her? I would love to have one, but when I mentioned it to my wife, she walked off! I understood immediately what she was talking about! I'd hate to see her scrapped - being in that good of a condition, and only needing a little TLC.
Well,the trans problem,I could use the $$$ for other projects,I have 9 other MVs that need work,I have swapped 3 different transmissions in it and NONE of them worked correctly,so I am kinda fed up with the GMC M series deuces in general.

I actually didn't plan on keeping this truck.

I don't really have the time or motivation to part it out,or pull parts off it.

I don't wanna sound harsh,but that's pretty much it.

Last edited:

wilfreeman

Yeah, I can totally understand - I've been through all that with mine a few times over the years too! If she was mobile, she would probably go quick with the condition shes in.

AMGeneral

Well,evidently this truck's fate isn't yet sealed,

Since scrap price has fallen dramatically recently,it really doesn't pay to haul this truck off just yet,so......

I have 1 more supposedly good Hydramatic trans(it shifted correctly in the last truck it was in,I tested it)I am gonna pull the engine and trans assmy this weekend and swap the last trans and try this 1 more time.

If everything is a GO sat evening,I may install the winch kit next week and see how everything works out.

Pics may be posted here tomorrow.

wilfreeman

Good news!

And maybe check the reduction unit like NDT mentioned? I don't know how to do that, but seems like now would be the time.

I, for one, will be waiting for the good news (fingers crossed for you)!

wilfreeman

I wouldn't think you would have a problem selling a running/driving one in that good of a condition (with winch). If I could justify having one to my wife and knew how to work on big trucks, I would have already bought it.

mtnrebel

....and when he gets done with it, we are going to reenact this scene. We just need some guys in cowboy hats to play the dumb deputies.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Awesome pictures of the removal! I have only seen the complete power unit removed in the tiny fuzzy black and white manual photo's. To see it live in color on a modern day computer screen is just bad azz!

Thanks for posting this picture. I was considering mounting the Chevelle radiator in my M211 repower to the frame via a custom radiator frame and brackets but I think I will definitely go the route the Military did so in the future If I have to remove something it comes out as 1 whole unit.

Thanks again!

AMGeneral

Pulling the complete power pack on a GMC is the only way to go,much simpler and easier than trying to pull the engine then trans.

GM actually has the 2 lifting rings positioned perfectly so it will balance the pack perfectly with everything full of fluids.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks