• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM211 Recovery trip

wilfreeman

Hey, now would be a good time for an instructional video of re-installing one! Just kidding - I know how much of a hassle it is to do videos when you're trying to get something done.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't think you would have a problem selling a running/driving one in that good of a condition (with winch). If I could justify having one to my wife and knew how to work on big trucks, I would have already bought it.

The motor is just two cylinders bigger than the one in your Jeeps!

It really isn't hard. I'm just sorry that Angie sees that truck and it = pain and frustration and a horrible night, which means she never wants me to own it again, or one like it. Or I would already have saved it from Brandon's torch happy thoughts.

Glad you're going to try it one more time B. I'll keep my fingers crossed. It really is in great shape.

Gunfreak25

Yes sir you do have a clean little Jimmy, I too hope you decide to keep it. If you do send it to the bone yard, remember what we don't know what hurt us!

wilfreeman

Yeah, only 2 cylinders - but 10,000# more and takes up about 4 times as much space too. 5mpg and only 50mph. If I could haul the Jeep in the back at highway speeds (like in a more modern deuce), then I could possibly justify it to the wifey.

Trust me - I would love to have this one as a starting point, but I don't see it happening. Maybe my wife and daughter can ride in a deuce at the October rally and want one (I know my daughter will - she rode in Ranger.41's M37 at the Denton rally in April and wants one of them already!).

I'm not going to ask why Angie hates the XM211.

AMGeneral

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After a few adjustments,some topping of fluids,changing the engine oil and filter,and hooking everything back up,I took the GMC for a drive and .................

IT SHIFTED PERFECTLY,ALL RANGES,ALL GEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It even will roll/tow start as it should,pressures were at the top of the "normal" ranges as laid down by the TM.

It's a wierd feeling to see that speedo hit 45 mph in that particular truck,and yes that 2/3 shift in LOW range is VERY harsh!!!

I'll try and make a video later on this week if time allows.

So it appears the GMC is saved from the scrapyard after all,now on to the winch install.:mrgreen:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats!
I never want to see a red Jimmy head to the bone yard.
That shift is harsh ins't it? I keep checking my mirror every time it happens to see if someone rear-ended me or what fell off.
Keep is posted on the winch install. I'm doing the same.
Dan

Gunfreak25

Well what do you guys expect for a transmission used in the Stuart tank? :lol: Seriously, really glad to hear you got it going. Really looking forward to some video too man, good job. You've earned a couple cool ones. :beer:

butch atkins

way to go ,I hope you get many miles of driving out of the GMC.BTW if you havent used the exhaust pipe,tranny parts that you got from me I would like to buy it back.PM me if interested.Good luck on all your projects

AMGeneral

way to go ,I hope you get many miles of driving out of the GMC.BTW if you havent used the exhaust pipe,tranny parts that you got from me I would like to buy it back.PM me if interested.Good luck on all your projects
Evening Butch,

the exhaust pipe is actually on this truck,I saved another from the M135 I had and took it to my local exhaust guy,he is gonna see if he can duplicate it,if so I may have a few made up from stainless steel and see how they work.

I used both servos in the first trans,and I am gonna see if I can rebuild the 3/4 clutch pack in it,hopefully it'll be my spare "good" trans

Last edited:

AMGeneral

Well,got the chance to do a few more adjustments this evening,and a longer test drive,It runs better every time, hopefully I can make a video this weekend.