• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM818 a semi failed recovery

mattgunguy

Honestly it's a lot better than it looked. Most of it was a just on the surface lightly, or the white flakey stuff that was just sitting there. Both of the pistons (?) the rollers are attached to were seized up in the open position. Judicious use of some penetrating oil & a rawhide hammer fixed that, They're opening & closing now. The internal seal around that piston on the reverse side may be an issue, as that side was the more corroded side. Cleaned everything up (finally found a use for all those extra barrel brushes I've been keeping), made new cork gaskets, good coat of oil on the components, and reassembled. Try it out tomorrow. Got some penetrating oil down the lines to the declutcher, so hopefully it's free & not gummed up. I still plan on replacing those seal/parts, but I need to pull a trailer tomorrow. The deuce needs a rear main, the Broncos engine is on a stand, & the prius will only pull a deuce. I found 2 lds-465-1a in containers & a Allison at545 that's just short the torque converter for 300. Just can't pass that deal up. I can make it all fit in a M105a2. I hope...

mattgunguy

The semi-wife approved way to see it the sprag is finally trying to work.

1: attempt to clean up a probably junk set of poppet valves.

2: dump a lot of lubricant / penetrating oil in the lines back to the little cylindrical doodad.

3: drain transfer case & load it with a diesel & kerosene mix then run it for a while.

4: manually cycle the sprag with an air blower for a while. Around an a hour seemed to work.

5: drain the funky nasty diesel & kerosene mix. Add gear oil per the lubrication order.

6: drive around some more.

7: find a big tree in the yard for the bumper. Get her @*$$.

8: jump for joy & quickly find a rake for the holes in the driveway.

Thanks to all the threads I got the ideas from.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks