• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM818 a semi failed recovery

mattgunguy

We are now up and running well. Starts better than the Duraturd I roll for work. Gonna swipe the horn parts out of the deuce, to get an inspection tomorrow. My wife did some rattle can camo, & the kidlets wanted their picture taken. The tires are tall or they're short for 11.

Attachments

mattgunguy

Oh trust me I'm loving it too. Now if I can get this screwy horn to work right. It'll blast your ears off, but sometimes it ain't stopping when I'm letting off the button. odd

mattgunguy

I don't think the solenoid is stuck but it may be. I pulled it off the deuce since I'm lacking a spare right now & it was working fine yesterday.

Cool setup. I want dual train horns. I wanna be able to empty the air tanks in 10 seconds or less.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think the solenoid is stuck but it may be. I pulled it off the deuce since I'm lacking a spare right now & it was working fine yesterday.

Cool setup. I want dual train horns. I wanna be able to empty the air tanks in 10 seconds or less.
That's a Nathan P3 in my truck. Reminds me of the Southern Pacific. I can blow a 'grade crossing' and the needle won't even budge. I did add an additional 8.5 gal. tank behind the cab for more air volume. The tank helps with air tools also.

Passed inspection today!! WINNING!!!
[thumbzup][thumbzup]

mattgunguy

& the sprag doesn't work. Or the poppet valve is stuck. There is a almost continuous release of air from the reverse side, with nothing from the forward side. I dont have an air blower to try the lines to the sprag itself, to see if it's shifting. But I'll come up with something. Did figure out for sure that this truck does not have lockers though. My backyard may be somewhat worse for wear due to that little discovery.

Always something with this dang truck :(

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem is most likely with the poppet valve. Either rebuild or replace the valve. While you're at it rebuild the sprag declutching cylinder. Both rebuild kits are available through Memphis Eq. I replaced the poppet valve and rebuilt the cylinder. When all is working you'll be able to hear the sprag clutch 'thunk' forward and reverse.

I also replaced all the associated air lines and fittings with DOT nylon and push-to-connect fittings...much easier to deal with.
SDC12048.jpgSDC12047.jpg

mattgunguy

Where by chance are the rebuild kits on the Memphis website? I can't find any & the nice lady on the phone truly had no idea what I was talking about. Very nice & pleasant though. I did see that eastern has the sprag cylinder. But I'd rather get everything in one place.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rebuild kits are not and, I don't believe, have ever been on the website. When I call Memphis, I always talk to the parts guys directly. They have always been very courteous and knowledgeable and always seem to have what I was looking for.

mattgunguy

Well, the rebuild kits for the poppet valve is no longer available unfortunately. Rockwell us no longer making them & Memphis hasn't found another supplier. So back to square one on this particular problem. But the night is nice, the beer is cold & the internet connection is good. Maybe I'll find a rebuild thread in our wonderful archive that can show me how to do it myself.