• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM818 a semi failed recovery

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can just cut off the rubber lines and reuse the fittings.

Never change tanks on a new to you truck, this has left many guys stranded.
Listen to Doghead. Those crimped on fittings just have a hose barb under the crimp part. Just take a hack saw or a grinder, and cut through the crimp a couple times, and peal it off, then put a new hose on, with a clamp.

mattgunguy

Ok. So I didn't realize that the knob was already screwed in all the way in. The transport drive had said that he adjusted something, & now I guess I know what. I adjusted the knob back out & the truck won't start. So I suppose that a new solenoid is now in order.

goldneagle

Ok. So I didn't realize that the knob was already screwed in all the way in. The transport drive had said that he adjusted something, & now I guess I know what. I adjusted the knob back out & the truck won't start. So I suppose that a new solenoid is now in order.
It tells in the TM which way is on. You might have it backwards. Try it all the way in the other direction. IN might push the plunger on the solenoid out of the valve and let the fuel go through.

Csm Davis

It tells in the TM which way is on. You might have it backwards. Try it all the way in the other direction. IN might push the plunger on the solenoid out of the valve and let the fuel go through.
Yeah Zev, in is the override position, out is for normal operation with the switch. Matt check just above the switch there is a manual kill valve, make sure it is tilting forward all the way about 45° not inline with the fuel line or to the rear, which is the off position.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post # 24 he said he only used the emergency shutoff once.

That does not jive with saying that the shutoff valve was in the override position.

mattgunguy

I haven't been able to check the pickup tubes yet. Unless I read the tm wrong which is very likely as the pdf one doesnt click as well as a paper copy for some reason. The solenoid was kaput. Found the electrical half yesterday and got it installed, with new seals. Truck fires up real good now, with the valve screwed in. Wont work in the normal position. So I messed up somewhere. Yay me!!!

My 816 wouldn't run put all new hoses on and still nuttin threw a couple wrenches imadgine that yes said some HILLAERBIANEESSEE and dang were did that valve come from ?????? Wright thure on the back side of the fuels filter is a valve turned it on varoooooom she ain't quit yet.....As Doc Hits his head knock on wood i'd check it out.

mattgunguy

Well I believe I'm about concede defeat. It may be time to break out the tow bar & take him to a shop.

I have replaced every piece of rubber line, half the hard lines, the filter, shut down solenoid, every o-rings, tried with an inline pump & with out, checked the pick up tubes, pressure tested, replaced half the connections, read both my paper TM & the online ones here, & I'm still in the same boat that I was in. I'm ready to scream, & beat my head against a wall in frustration. I had to not have understood something in a TM, did something wrong, a bad pump, bad fuel, or I don't know what. But it sucks.

Oh & the dash switch won't shut the truck down period. Manual shut off and a spring. YAY me!!! On a positive note, I did manage to get the drivers door adjusted to shut right. A small victory, but still a victory none the less.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
im leaning on the elect fuel shut off. since you say it does not shut the engine down. there are a small oring under that elect shut off. dont give up yet. it has to be something small

mattgunguy

Got the small one between the solenoid and the pump as well as the large in the solenoid itself. Courtesy of the nice folks at the local cummins dealer. They gave me a nice diagram of the solenoid.

We're going to be in your neck of the woods again in April.

mattgunguy

Ooooh shinny new pump.

I'm replacing the whole dang fuel system from the pump to the tanks. Installing a transfer pump between the passenger side tank and the driver side. Be gone vile selector valve. More trouble than it's worth. Single line from the tank to the filter, new pickup tubes, & return lines.

Most all the pump seals were leaking & the auction sight was cheaper than a rebuild locally. I've got ten days off work, so a truck work we are doing.

Attachments

mattgunguy

Well, were to start. The pictured pump turned out to be the wrong pump, was for a ntc400. So no joy there, but the fleabay sell was awesome. I now have a nice new pt pump for a nhc250. So maybe this weekend I'll get it done. :)

I do have a couple of non-engine related questions. I read (my Google fu is not strong) that only marine trucks are undercoated, & that the marine trucks have lockers. Now here's were my confusion sets in. The tranny has the storage spot for the plug. The doors are new, so there isn't a sticker for lockers. I'm missing something on the jack the drives up & spin them test. Do all 4 tires spin or just 2? Please forgive me on this , but lockers are outside of my experience & I'm not understanding the posts on the topic. It's not a big deal to me either way, but I'm the curious type & would like to know.

Baradium

Well, were to start. The pictured pump turned out to be the wrong pump, was for a ntc400. So no joy there, but the fleabay sell was awesome. I now have a nice new pt pump for a nhc250. So maybe this weekend I'll get it done. :)

I do have a couple of non-engine related questions. I read (my Google fu is not strong) that only marine trucks are undercoated, & that the marine trucks have lockers. Now here's were my confusion sets in. The tranny has the storage spot for the plug. The doors are new, so there isn't a sticker for lockers. I'm missing something on the jack the drives up & spin them test. Do all 4 tires spin or just 2? Please forgive me on this , but lockers are outside of my experience & I'm not understanding the posts on the topic. It's not a big deal to me either way, but I'm the curious type & would like to know.
The plug that you move in the transmission is the non marine trucks, it sounds to me that the marine trucks have a cable operated valve there, both trucks should have the holes. I've been planning on "some day" trying to find a pipe threaded valve that is cable actuated with a cable that comes from the side and making my own setup for mine.

I'll let someone else specify how to check for lockers, I would probably try to lift one entire axle up and try to turn one of the wheels in the air by hand first.

mattgunguy

It's alive (Insert evil laugh here)!!!! Only got one tank plumbed in right now, and something is still wrong with the electric shut down, but it runs & drives (went a few miles without stranding me). Still got a lot of little things to do, but I'm much happier now.

mattgunguy

Thank you. Thank you. Spent the last few hours getting the steering bled. I thought a deuce on 395's sucked without power steering, but that ain't squat compared to an 818 on 14.00's with a dry pump. But it seems to be good now