• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet another transmission replacement thread!

mckeeranger

The lever was off that much because the replacement trans didn't have one, I had to re-use the one that was on the junk one. I had marked it's position but accedentally wiped it off with a rag. I judged it's placement by the pics from beforehand.
I know it doesn't do you any good now, but when I mark something, I peen it with a small punch, or small chisel. Just a light tap with the hammer, you don't want to stretch the metal, just etch a thin line, or some small dots.

Quick question, the pedal goes down about 1.5 inches before the lever on the trans moves. Is that considerd free play even though the pedal is still fairly stiff? It gets alot stiffer after that, this feels normal on my foot like what i'm used to.

Seth_O

Quick question, the pedal goes down about 1.5 inches before the lever on the trans moves. Is that considerd free play even though the pedal is still fairly stiff? It gets alot stiffer after that, this feels normal on my foot like what i'm used to.

I get ~1.75" of downward movement from my pedal before it starts to move the lever on the trans. It does require some effort to push the pedal down that first 1.75", but it is very evident from feel when it begins to engage the clutch - it changes from effort to work.

Finished!

As of this morning my transmission replacement adventure is over, results: SUCCESS! I took her for a test drive, all gears working and shifting properly! Clutch engages and disengages perfectly!
I am keeping a close eye on everything while I drive her over the next few days and I will probably crawl underneath a few times just to make sure everything is tight and adjusted properly, also to check for leaks.
My total job time was over 15 hours! (Because of my rookie mistakes) :grd:
My total cost including replacement trans, gaskets, gear oil, rtv sealant and chain hoist was around $250.00!!!!!!! ;-) (If I charged labor it would be in the thousands!)
Overall the problems I ran into were minor, time consuming, but minor!

I could not have done it without the help of you crazy MV Deucers! Seriously I want to thank you ALL very much for contributing to this thread. I never would have had the confidence or the know-how to do this job without you. I would probably still be out there under the truck cursing and ranting for the next two weeks. aua I love this site and I want to thank the Administrators as well for making this possibe.
Also thanks to: NAPA AUTO PARTS (Farmington NH), O'KEEFE AND MARTIN GENERAL STORES (Rochester NH), MR. BUBBLES CARWASH, (Rochester NH)
And all my friends who threw in their 2 cents! 2cents

My suggestions to people who will be attempting this in the future:
1. Use the overhead method with a chain hoist.
2. Don't be afraid to ask for advice on SS.com!
3. MARK EVERYTING!!!!
4. Don't get frustrated over little things, keep a cool head and walk away if you find yourself loosing it!
5. Take pics, there a good reference if you need to see how something was positioned or adjusted.
6. Have fun!!
7. DO NOT tell your wife/girlfriend you would rather be working on the Deuce, even if it's true... Trust me it dosen't end well...;-)

Thank you again everybody! I've posted a final pic of the new trans!!!!

Attachments

winerydale

Banned
I was a heavy line mech in the Corps. we used a 3-4" pipe on top of the doors with a chain fall, removed the bolts on the tranny, took the drive shaft off, removed the shift lever, pulled back and dropped it on to a dolly. Reverse the prosses if installing. ONLY Replace the clutch if slipping or making noise. IF IT ISNT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!!! my 2 cents. David PS The tranny is a heavy SOB Be careful!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks