• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Zeisshensoldt's road trip

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like he might have a flat LH front driver on the inside or maybe an open emergency gladhand.

shenkmen

Is it actually overflowing or just foaming?
He said overflowing. The fuel strainer wasn't pulled up during the fill. I think we fixed that one.

Fuel issue

The fuel in the tank was described as cream colored. Guessing that is junk growing in there. See attached pic.

I offered these options...

1) it's best to drain and flush the tank. Obviously not an easy job at the Hampton Inn.

2) Biocide to kill the bacteria. This will clog the filters

Oil Leak

His oil filters are leaking from the base of the filter cans. I explained the gaskets are the likely culprit and they should be swapped out.

Thoughts?

Attachments

Last edited:

shenkmen

As Gimp said he is soldiering on. His plan is to hit the road between 8 - 9 tomorrow morning. I also sent oil and fuel filter torque specs and slow blow fuel pump fuse part #.

Stonepicker1

Hope he gets the problem fixed. I will be heading back to South Florida from KY on Friday(I-75). I know it's a few days away, but I'll be driving a M923 5 ton and I have a tow-bar just in case he needs a tow.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thoughts?
Serious fuel contamination.

Really...

1. Drain and flush tank.

2. Purge fuel lines and change filters.

That fuel tank picture is not representative of something I would be comfortable using to supply fuel to a truck I had to drive more than the distance from the cow pasture to the barn.

Maybe easier is to fill a 55 gallon drum in the back with clean fuel. Hook up a 24v pump and tie it into the fuel system. About two hours and he would be on his way.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I know someone in that area has to have a fuel tank handy. especially With the few parts trucks being parted out on the east coast. Or even then a 50 gallon tank from an IH box truck like the step kind pictured below fit right into place with the same straps. Just need to add a fuel pump. Or even maybe able to find one at a yard along his trip.

I will see if I can locate a tank and pump in his area with the locate thing.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
LKQ Maryland Truck in easton, md has a tank like pictured above. 50 gal tank as well as maybe he could find an Airtex pump like doghead mentioned in the thread below part number E8135 is $50 at oreilly but maybe they would have one in stock or be able to get one overnight. If a deuce pump and tank isnt available near him.

410-822-5752 for LKQ

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/61149-24v-inline-fuel-pump.html

hoop

I would change the oil filters and gaskets first....Before starting this morning. Make sure you use the right gaskets....the larger one that comes in the pack. Then address the fuel problem. I suspect it is the primary filter stoppage. Before I would tackle this I would have a bucket to clean the filter and some brake cleaner and a NEW GASKET, one comes with the secondary filters, I would have them on hand but not change them as of yet.
If your pump is not working make sure you fill the primary can before reinstalling it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the big picture here, this guy just bought a truck that has sat for years, and with no prep or experience, he is driving from NY to Fla? Does he have any parts with him or any tools or a chase car? I know in his other thread where he was planning to drive it home to Maine(500 miles), did anyone discuss this Fla trip with him? This just sounds like a really bad idea.

I know he's "into it" now, and we're trying to help(as am I), but this seems like the worst trip plan ever.

I'm wondering if he has towing and road side assistance with his insurace.

shenkmen

Truck was purchased via private sale. He belives (not sure) the seller did nothing to the truck.

He has a buddy and a car with him.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had to drain/clean a tank full of crap while on the road before.

I went to a walmart, bought a 55 gal trash can and a 5 gal fuel can. He can pull the tank off and set it on the garbage can, and remove the bottom drain plug. Then, put a can of carb and choke cleaner in the hole, then snake his hand down in and spray down all he can. Then reinstall the tank. Go get fresh fuel in the can.

Then new filters and some fuel conditioner. Put the can in the back of the truck.(I also used a line(bag) and tied it to minimize spillage while driving).

With the distance he has to go, I would do it now, and feel good about it.

The day I had to do that, I had replaced my primary filter 4 times in 50 miles, and the secondaries twice.

zeisshensoldt

I cannot stop driving, if there's somebody along the 78west-81south route please call me so we can attempt to sort out my problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

shenkmen

All, I'm booked all day now since the plan was to get the truck on the road this AM. I'll respond when I can and will make myself availble if possible. No guarantees. The rest of my week is booked as well.

hoop

Just called him, and he said "if no one from the forum can help him, then he is going to a nearby truck stop".
He was still at the hotel and now should soon be in route to the truck stop.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The foaming fuel thing has me wondering if he has ever pumped diesel before.

No kidding.

But I wish him luck. When I did my first recovery you would have thought I bought out an auto parts store and put it in the back of my Dodge..............