• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Zeisshensoldt's road trip

Katahdin

This ending is probably for the best.

However, I know you can get new 9.00x20.00 NDCCs at Universal Tire in Hershey PA if he decides to regroup after this attempt and try again. Of course, it would be prudent for the shop or other experienced persons to check, bleed the brakes, and other safety checks while its off the road.

DeucesWild11

The guy selling it originally wanted like $4,000 originally not sure what you paid for it.. Yes check the Brakes! Mine locked up and now I am in the process of re-building the airpack.. fun project though since the truck is in the driveway and not out on the road..

Last edited:

DeucesWild11

OK got to get this off my chest. I bought my truck from the same guy and he was more than accommodating with me, gave me a bunch of extra parts, picked it up a week later and such and even kept his word and sold it to me when he ha offers for $1000 more! Now like I said he may not be big on maintenance but is that his issue? He may not know all the ins and outs of Deuces, I didn't either when I first bought mine. That being said I am fully happy with my purchase and would do it all over again. These are 40 year old trucks we're talking here.. there are no warranties!

Now your issue.. You buy a truck from 1970 off egay and decide to let it sit for a month in the winter before picking it up. Then you just hop in and expect to put 2,000 miles on it in one trip? Really? with no extra parts, no experience with these trucks? I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth but I bet most guys here wouldn't take their deuce on a trip like that not to mention one they have not driven before!

So then you get stuck with some bad fuel and "dry rotted tires", both things you could have easily visually seen by just walking around the truck and looking in the tank. BTW a little dry rot is not that bad since you do have inner tubes, you do know you have inner tubes right? SO now you feel it's the previous owners responsibility for your issues? Last time I looked these trucks didn't come with warranties. NOW you are claiming that guy "screwed" you and screwed over other people here on this site. He didn't screw me over and he has never been on this site. Looks to me like this is your own lack of knowledge about these trucks and poor planning that got you into this mess. The previous owner was even going to give you some $$ back for your trouble.. more than I would have done.. but no you are claiming $1900 against paypal calling him a cheat, liar and scammer! NICE! He was ready to help you out and without a call you put in a claim like that! You are unbelievable. This is not his issue, truck ran fine when you bought it.. no? 200 miles at least down to Allentown.. but that's his problem right?

Listen, don't use my name when trying to get your money back on a vintage MV that you are having trouble with it after the sale! That guy helped me out a few times before and after the sale and seems to me he has allot more integrity than yourself..

Now that I got that off my chest, best of luck getting your truck home:mad:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DW11, that was a lot to say, and well said(IMHO).

Thanks for your view.

dmetalmiki

wow

buy "as seen" no warranty? (pr-empis,emptor) then drive till "it" conks..THEN apply a warranty....good plan(ing) that..ho hum..made my trip look like a breeze....I had problemswhich could not have been forseen..My seller OFFERED generouse costs..I accepted his graciouse considarations with real Appreciation..and just Got On with the recovery...

(from nightmare journey and concluded ( posted ))

tcody

Wow - interesting thread. I have taken more than a few road trips to pick up stuff and despite a lot of preparation almost never had a trip go by without some problems. That's the main reason my wife won't take any more trips with me. With so many items being purchased by GL etc and moved by the buyer I thought some safety comments were in order. Here are some rules that have kept me mostly out of trouble.

1: Do the research and read the TM. If you know what you are driving or hauling you are less likely to get into a problem you can't fix.
2: Read the posts of others on the site about potential problems with your vehicle.
3: Know your route and have emergency back-up plans along the route.
4: Bring some basic tools (screw drivers, wrenches, flashlight)
5: Bring some basic parts - filters, fluids, belts, 5 gal gas can, air line, duct tape, extra fuses and light bulbs etc..
6: Bring appropriate clothes, gloves, carharts etc.. in case you have to walk a distance or get under the vehicle.
7: Emergency flares,
8: Charged cell phone
9: Have someone at home that can coordinate help if you get stuck
10: First aid kit with some energy bars
11: If you can't get the vehicle inspected by a pro - do it yourself. Make sure the lights and blinkers work, tires are good and hold air, fluids topped off, no leaks, brakes working... Once you get behind the wheel you are responsible for the condition of your vehicle. A unsafe vehicle is not only unsafe for the driver, but for others on the road.
12: Finally, expect everything to go wrong - it usually will, but with some basic prep yu can keep yourself and others from getting injured.

I am sure I am missing some important things these are my thoughts FWIW.

hoop

I cannot stop driving, if there's somebody along the 78west-81south route please call me so we can attempt to sort out my problem. (207-812-8166)

Interpretation......I just finished Breakfast and I need someone to come fix my truck for me so I can get home to mommy.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Come on guys, just leave it alone. Its a good thread for us to link other newbs to.

If it starts to just rip "someone" apart, I can delete the whole thing.

Lets just agree mistakes were made and leave it at that. :gimp2:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Trust me, I know what your saying. It is extremely frustrating what some peoples children will do. I just know trashing anyone here won't help anyone either.

Sometimes all you can do is shake your head.