• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2000 HMMWV M1123 Project

mow***com

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another quick update....

So, I have finally done the transmission gasket again and also the dipstick seal.
It is full of ATF and ready to start testing. The transfer case fluids have also been changed, along with both diffs.
The hubs still need to be done and the brakes bled.

Tomorrow, I will finish the fuel system(for now) and move along to check offs for first start up.
The other day, I did the filler hose and added a new filler surround.
So, no more leaks when filling it up. Today, I drained the fuel tank again and may do it one more time.
The fuel filter is back in, with new fuel hoses.

I am feeling good about the first start up. I just wonder how the first drive will eventually go.
For now, I plan to just run the engine up to temperature and see how it holds fluids.

I did hurry and paint the hatch green. But, it isn't a match and will need to be painted again. There are already previous sanding imperfections and chipping paint that I didn't really care to address until next season.
I decided to order the fixed windshield interior brackets, instead of making my own. Time is of the essence, maybe.
Same with the windshield surrounds. I ordered those, instead of drilling.
I plan to roll around without rear windows for a short period. At least until it starts getting colder.

That is about it, at the moment. Still need to re check my grounds and wire up some batteries. I did wire up a keyed switch. I had zero problems with mine in the last truck.
Hopefully, Saturday or Sunday, it will run... But, I'll get there, when I get there. Haha.

Attachments

mow***com

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another small update.... Today, I decided to finish what was needed and give the truck a start. Only one small hiccup.
I couldn't seem to get fuel to the injectors. Now, it was late in the day and I wanted to get home.
So, I decided that I would troubleshoot tomorrow. I just can't figure it out yet and will spend some more time this weekend.

I am using a new KDS smart start box (with matching temp sensor) and still have the original ignition switch wired up.
New glow plugs and the light cycles on/off, as it should(But, it is 90+° outside and shouldnt even need the aid of glowplugs, unless something else does)... Fuel is at the filter, at the petcock drain.
Tomorrow, I will try to establish if fuel is getting up to the IP.
The fuel system was completely dry. But, I just can't imagine that it wasn't getting to the injectors, after 3-4+ rounds of cranking. No fuel at the injectors in sight, sigh.

I brought the batteries home, to give them a full charge and test again tomorrow.
Is there anything electrical that I might be missing, that could keep the fuel from getting to the pump, or injectors?
I will go over everything again in the morning and report back.
4 of the injectors are new numbers matching and all copper seals are new.
The injector pump was sold to me as new and still looks really clean. For now, I've unplugged the harness to the glowplugs, since I didn't want continuous cycles of the plugs, just trying to get it to run.

On another note.... The transmission light stays on. So, fun digging through transmission files.
All fluids look good, except a leak at the thermostat area. An area that I touched and will redo properly.
Still not a bad day. I had just hoped for a little more sweet success.
Let me know if any of you have any ideas about the fuel? Thanks again, everyone. Have a good afternoon.

Last edited:

mow***com

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This last weekend has been a little frustrating, to say the least.
I do believe some progress is being made. It will just take a little time to get to it.
I am picking up a new intake manifold gasket set up, since I have a bit of diesel fuel in the block valley and leaking injector hard lines to the IP.

I am starting to get little spurts of diesel out of the hard lines and on Saturday, it ran for a short bit, albeit pretty rough.
So, I am just trying to work injector cleaner into the system, so I don't have to pull the IP.
But, if it has to be done, it has to be done.

That is about all there is to report. Later this weekend I will try and get a few things done.
Lastly, I picked up a project truck. It is an old plow/dump truck and is pretty beat up. But, it does run and drive. It is a 1990 GMC 7000 truck, with a 8.2 Detroit Fuel Pincher and a 5 speed/2 speed rear axle.
It is a back burner project for the distant future.

Attachments

mow***com

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Based on recent threads and threads that I've recently read, here is another quick update.
Yesterday, I decided to pop off the intake manifold and lock down the injector hard lines to the IP.
Cleaned up the valley and there are no more leaks to the hard lines.
Then, I decided to bleed the injectors and see if anything happened.
Before bleeding the injectors, I wanted to see how much pressure might be on the IP side of the fuel filter.... Well, I think enough is the answer, as the hose popped off and sprayed the inside of the truck(as is evident in the pictures). Sigh.
Well, after trying to clean up diesel fuel, the truck started again. It wasn't pretty, but I just let it ran for a minute or two, to monitor voltage, engine oil pressure, engine temps. All looked good, until it shut itself down.

All signs point to the IP. I blew out the hard lines enough to know, that isn't the problem.
5 out of 8 injectors are brand new. So, while it might not be helping fully, it doesn't seem like that is my problem yet.
I've got plenty of fuel at the drain and to the feed at the IP.
Everything is telling me it is the IP that is gummed up.

That being said, on order is a 5 way security penta-key for the top of the IP pump.
After trouble shooting this area, I will figure a solution.
I had suspected terrible fuel initially and it is why I decided to drain the system/tank a few times.
Just didn't realize how quickly it worked itself into everywhere.

Seeing oil pressure, good voltage, proper temps just makes me want to put it on the road as quick as I can.
Lastly, new windshield retainers and the interior windshield fixed brackets came in.
So, the truck is looking pretty complete. Ordered some mirrors and I am starting to get a bit antsy.
That's about all, for now. I will keep reading and troubleshooting.

Attachments