• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2600mile recovery :)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He is zipping past Cambridge, OH now. I expect to meet up with him at the Bob Evans at around 5-7PM tonight off of I70.

KaiserM109

sean011,
I just tuned into your thread. On the 19th I left Ft. Benning, GA in my newly acquired M923 (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?98445-M923-Recovery-GA-to-CO&highlight=). I got as far as my daughter's in Dublin, TX 90 mi SW of Ft. Worth before we decided to postpone the final leg of the trip.

A few tips:

• Knobbie tires act crazy on bridge expansion joints, take it slow
  • The grinding chattering that you might think is a U joint going out might be your spare tire bracket singing along with the tires
  • If you think you’re doing 65 MPH, you are probably doing 55 (reported by my chase car)
  • Expect 7 MPG and your credit card will probably shut off at $100.
  • Duck when you go through low bridges; East of the Mississippi minimum Interstate clearance is 13 ft. and I think your M105 exceeds that (think about taking the sides off the trailer)
  • An M923 has a TERRIBLE blind spot off of its right duels.

One of my biggest problems was there was only one way to position my right leg and I got cramps in it.

Glad you got such good help for SS members on your mechanical problems. There’s not a better bunch of guys and gals around. I’ll PM you with my phone number. I have all the TMs downloaded.

Last edited:

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I dont know whos getting the tires and wheels,But they are going to have fun unloading them from up in the m105 trailer.We loaded them with the excavator.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm texting with him now trying to locate a hotel around Columbus, OH. If he is going to stop I think it's better east than to fight Friday night rush hour with potholes the size of the 105 on I70.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I hope this goes better than the last time you met a stranger at a hotel from the internet. I'm not helping bury the corpse this time!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, if you drive around west of Columbus tonight and see a big green MV at a hotel that's probably him. :)

seano11

Pretty uneventful day truck ran great. Got stuck in rush hour traffic in Columbus. Some clown in front of me decided to cut me off and well the Abs works. Had a sticker on the back window of his Prius saying Jesus will save us. Lol

wsucougarx

Glad everything is going great for you Sean! Been following your progress thus far. I look forward to this thread when I come home from work. Keep the updates coming.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
  • Duck when you go through low bridges; East of the Mississippi minimum Interstate clearance is 13 ft. and I think your M105 exceeds that (think about taking the sides off the trailer)
I was going to say something, but.........

If we stand one SSean on top of another SSean he stands about 12' 6" tall with his driving shoes on. Put that beside the trailer and the top rail on that trailer must be a foot higher then SSeans upper Ball-cap.

That will be 13'6" which is legal in Alberta Canada so if everyone would just lower the roads or raise the bridges to that height before SSean gets there, we'd kindly appreciate it.

SSean would have pulled a tape measure before bugging out but hauling height SUCs'. Overhangs on building corners, back alley electrical lines, hotel entrances, service stations, overhead roadsigns, birds, low flying aircraft and other things like bridges and tunnels are all fine until height shows up.

Keep the "A" game goin' SSean.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty uneventful day truck ran great. Got stuck in rush hour traffic in Columbus. Some clown in front of me decided to cut me off and well the Abs works. Had a sticker on the back window of his Prius saying Jesus will save us. Lol
You get another one of those, its pretty easy to pick the pieces out of the grill. They don't hold together well.... Really glad to hear the trip is going well. Try and post some landmark photos as your travels go on.