• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

55mph detonation post mortum. . .

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
According to "Trouble Shooting Manual LDS-465-1 Multifuel Engine" published by Continental Aviation and Engineering Corp. in June 1968, there were 3 designs, one black unvented, one red unvented, and one red vented (with "tabs"). The "multi-piece, vented head gasket" is the new design. This is for the LDS, but it seems to me that it would also apply to the LDT.

Thats interesting I order them from DLA and the only one available is the "black unvented" and all have new manufacturing dates. From my experiance the tabbed gaskets are the most problematic and the ones I replace the most often in our shop.
Can you order me a few sets. . . :p

stumps

According to "Trouble Shooting Manual LDS-465-1 Multifuel Engine" published by Continental Aviation and Engineering Corp. in June 1968, there were 3 designs, one black unvented, one red unvented, and one red vented (with "tabs"). The "multi-piece, vented head gasket" is the new design. This is for the LDS, but it seems to me that it would also apply to the LDT.

Thats interesting I order them from DLA and the only one available is the "black unvented" and all have new manufacturing dates. From my experience the tabbed gaskets are the most problematic and the ones I replace the most often in our shop.
Note the publication date: June 1968.

Apparently the problem is even bigger than I imagined!

-Chuck

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you go to the classifieds you will find the newer ones. M-35tom sells them for $80 a pair shipped which is a bargain. IIRC last we spoke he had 90 sets. These are just head gaskets, you will have to source the rest of your gaskets elsewhere.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, here is how I read the tealeaves:

The top of the broken piston is shiny, the others are dull. The broken piston has valve head marks in its top, And you have a broken cam, bent pushrod, and a broken connecting rod.

How about this for a scenario: Antifreeze has been leaking into the cylinder for some time, evidenced by the shiny piston, and during one of your starts, you briefly hydro locked the engine seriously stressing the connecting rod.

Then on the fateful day, you went tooling down the road at 2600RPM, and the weakened rod/cap let go, and batted the piston up to the top of the cylinder where it stopped. As the engine continued to turn, the valves went through a few cycles, and left their marks on the piston top, bent the push rod, and broke the cam.

Thoughts?

-Chuck
:ditto:

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had an S60 detroit diesel in m916a2 let loose in number 5 hole and did the same mess due to 3/8 bolts that hold the ristpin to the piston bottom.
Detroit Diesel changed it to new full float piston and pin type it.
I had to install new engine in salt lake city Ut 3/4 engine cost me $16,000.00 and I got New truck engine warrante 5 years 500,000 miles still have 4 years left. Re power.:grd:

jatonka

Recovery4x4 has this one covered, just get ahold of Tom Bauer at M35tom on this site and buy his correct head gaskets. Then you need to buy a cheap engine gasket set to get rest of the gaskets needed to do a head job. Don't forget to get your heads planed while you have them off. They are never true until you plane them and that will blow your new head gaskets. JT out

kastein

For what it is worth, the gasket kit I was sold by TNJMurray had the old style HGs in it... except they were grey with separate fire rings, vents, and tabs instead of pink with separate fire rings, vents, and tabs. I used em because it was all I had on hand, I am hoping they last.

They also managed to foul up my order for a new driver seat for my M54A2, I very specifically requested a bolt-in seat for it and was told I would get one, but ended up with a seat that is completely different mounting wise. I am going to have to fabricate an adapter bracket to make it work. Last time I ever buy from them, eriks, M35tom, Boyce, and others will be getting my business in the future.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks