• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

84 m1009 cucv chevy blazer build-up

2INSANE

really I heard they were pretty water tight... maybe I need to look at adifferent design
Soft topper makes a nice soft top. But their design is mention for summer usage. It's water tight until you start driving and the wind and water comes threw the edge where the soft top snaps on to the top of the cab.

Looks good man! I love the hood.
Thanks! Yea I didn't want a scowl hood that had a lot of rise blocking my view lol! so I went with this lower profile one instead.

Have you installed the crossover steering yet? I used a 4" drop pitman arm and an '87 Suburban 2WD steering box, but have not ordered the tierod to replace the draglink yet. I traded a transmission piece for a Ford F-250 upper control arm that bolted right onto the passenger-side top kingpin bolts. I've seen in many of these mods where they cut that front crossmember down for tierod clearance, but with the dropped pitman arm, it looks like the bent tierod you have pictured in post #7 might work if I install tapered ball joints at each end. What are your thoughts?

zaxcucv

Thanks man! Just a FYI. After installing the soft top I noticed that a lot of air, water, etc will be coming inside the cab threw the top portion of the roof rear edge. It's the design and seems to me to be used only during the summer months. It would be smart to keep your hard top and stock tailgate on standby for winter.
Good to know, looking at that top for mine. Sweet build man. Looks nasty!

2INSANE

Have you installed the crossover steering yet? I used a 4" drop pitman arm and an '87 Suburban 2WD steering box, but have not ordered the tierod to replace the draglink yet. I traded a transmission piece for a Ford F-250 upper control arm that bolted right onto the passenger-side top kingpin bolts. I've seen in many of these mods where they cut that front crossmember down for tierod clearance, but with the dropped pitman arm, it looks like the bent tierod you have pictured in post #7 might work if I install tapered ball joints at each end. What are your thoughts?
For my steering I ordered the Offroaddesign cross over kit and their ported 2wd steering box. Its not installed yet. Right now I'm working with a local business to make me custom driveshafts. Both steering and shafts should be installed later this month.
To answer your main question, I'm not sure what other ways to do the steering. My intent was to just simply order a kit. But I've seen info that your looking for at CK5.com.

Good to know, looking at that top for mine. Sweet build man. Looks nasty!
Thanks! Oh don't forget that you can call softtopper and get custom orders. I had my side windows made so they are longer. Helps with the blind spots in rear corner.

True Knight

I don't know how I never saw this thread in the past! Great stuff! It's pretty close to what I want to do with my truck. Keep up the good work!

2INSANE

Wow! I almost forgot I had this thread! 7 years is a long time! A lot has been done since my last post! More greatness is on the way, stay tuned!

2INSANE

Over the 7 years I’ve added...

Psc power steering box
DIY4x front and rear differential covers
Custom driveshafts
LMC truck steering wheel
Bilstine Shocks
DIY4X rear shock absorbing kit
LMC Rearview mirror

Attachments

2INSANE

DIY4x Dash and had it powder coated black.
Phantom 2 gauges
LMC truck headliner with CB radio
Rock sliders
Dual optima batteries
Fire extinguisher
Led light strips for better cab lighting
Arb Snorkel
Bushwacher fender flares
Rigid D2 and Dually lights for the ORD front bumper.
Custom 24v Warn winch. Took them 6 months to make it.

I custom designed a light bar protector and had it laser cut. I then used a grinder to shape it so the curvature fits the roof of the blazer and purchased a 50” rigid light bar for the top of the roof.

Attachments

2INSANE

Steel braided brake lines
Premium Warn hubs
Rechargeable Mag light
8 foot cb radio whips
PSC hydraulic Ram
DIY4x Rear rock guard for drive shaft

I swapped from the 56” front springs down to 52” front springs for better stability.

I am on my 3rd soft top. They don’t last long... The windows alway bust or get cracked or a tree might fall on it while on a trail. Yea that really happened!

Attachments

2INSANE

I added stainless steel 3” exhaust pipes with flow master mufflers. It sound soooo nice!

PSC power steering reserve added
Lots of pretty colorful switches
Did a lot of fixing on it too!
Added rock tamer mudflaps with some girls

Friend of mine made a removable licence plate holder for me that fits on the Fairlead.

I tried the DIY4X front spring plates but they kept moving on me me. Went to ORD’s spring plates.

Also added an adjustable hitch for towing with ball and pintle if needed.

Attachments

Last edited:

2INSANE

Nice upgrades!

How do you like the new dash setup? I keep toying with the idea of using that.
I love it! It was worth every penny because I don’t have to worry about the dash cracking and hearing all those weird cab noises from the old dash popping and rattling from the expanding, contracting and body flex.

It gave me room for all the gauges and switches. Plus the cool factor! I am always getting compliments!

2INSANE

I finished pulling out the 6.2 from the blazer. Here’s link:

2INSANE

Got a lot removed last night from the 6.2.

CDR valve
Vacuum and fuel lines
Coolant crossover
Exhaust Manifolds
Injectors
Fuel Pump/plate/pushrod
Oil Fill tube
Injection Pump
Alternators
Intake Manifold

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks