• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

86 m1009 build Mississippi Style

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone get trouble by local police for having a military painted rig with lettering that states "Military Police" or similar placards? Seems like local cops would hate that.
I haven't had any problem driving on the military bases (McChord AFB, Bangor Navy Base, or NUWC Keyport) with the lightbar on mine. If I added the stenciling "Military Police" I might get some grief.

Speaking of...

OP, are you going to be adding a lightbar to the roof?
http://www.topohiker.com/news/newspics/OnTop1.png

CUCV1.jpg

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes, but it will be an offroad led light bar, might add a siren though, I love the sound of the classic "prison escape" siren

For mine, I pulled all the strobes out and modified the forward-firing reflector cups to accept some HID lamps. For the angled reflectors on each outer end I drilled a hole in the center and installed the bulb holders from some cheapo off-road lights and installed 55watt H3 bulbs. On the back I installed some amber LED gangs with a wig-wag controller.

So facing the front there are six 35watt HID. Front quarters have 55watt H3 bulbs (may upgrade at some point). To the sides I left the stock alley lights, which I believe are 55watt halogen bulbs.

I considered stripping all the reflectors out of the bar altogether and just installing a LED bar inside, so it would still have the police lightbar look with the brightness of the LEDs, but the 48” LED bars are $ome big buck$ still.

The lightbar is very bright, and lights up the entire area in front and to the sides of the truck for about as far as the headlights shine. I have two 450watt landing lights going in the grill shortly for long distance lighting.

Of course, over the top of the lightbar is one of the two PA/siren speakers, there’s another square one in the grill. My siren has two 100watt outputs, so the air horn function of the siren is seriously loud.

There are a few ideas for you. :-D

jgordon1307

thanks man, my goal is to show current and future CUCV owners that you dont have to just drive a normal red seated 33" tired steel soldier, these trucks deserve a second life! I love my truck and drive it regularly, gonna put a more powerful motor in next year, but i am content at the moment.