• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

86 m1009 build Mississippi Style

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone get trouble by local police for having a military painted rig with lettering that states "Military Police" or similar placards? Seems like local cops would hate that.
I haven't had any problem driving on the military bases (McChord AFB, Bangor Navy Base, or NUWC Keyport) with the lightbar on mine. If I added the stenciling "Military Police" I might get some grief.

Speaking of...

OP, are you going to be adding a lightbar to the roof?
http://www.topohiker.com/news/newspics/OnTop1.png

CUCV1.jpg

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes, but it will be an offroad led light bar, might add a siren though, I love the sound of the classic "prison escape" siren

For mine, I pulled all the strobes out and modified the forward-firing reflector cups to accept some HID lamps. For the angled reflectors on each outer end I drilled a hole in the center and installed the bulb holders from some cheapo off-road lights and installed 55watt H3 bulbs. On the back I installed some amber LED gangs with a wig-wag controller.

So facing the front there are six 35watt HID. Front quarters have 55watt H3 bulbs (may upgrade at some point). To the sides I left the stock alley lights, which I believe are 55watt halogen bulbs.

I considered stripping all the reflectors out of the bar altogether and just installing a LED bar inside, so it would still have the police lightbar look with the brightness of the LEDs, but the 48” LED bars are $ome big buck$ still.

The lightbar is very bright, and lights up the entire area in front and to the sides of the truck for about as far as the headlights shine. I have two 450watt landing lights going in the grill shortly for long distance lighting.

Of course, over the top of the lightbar is one of the two PA/siren speakers, there’s another square one in the grill. My siren has two 100watt outputs, so the air horn function of the siren is seriously loud.

There are a few ideas for you. :-D

jgordon1307

thanks man, my goal is to show current and future CUCV owners that you dont have to just drive a normal red seated 33" tired steel soldier, these trucks deserve a second life! I love my truck and drive it regularly, gonna put a more powerful motor in next year, but i am content at the moment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks