• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A0, A1, A1R and TM's

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to look. I needed to raise the cab today anyway. LOL

Mine is black

View attachment 872094
FML - LMTV
FMM - MTV

"Fun" tid-bit of info on these serials. They're produced under "military/emergency services" serial range which causes CAT dealerships some trouble. HOLT CAT here in Texas has multiple licenses and their departments don't intertwine. When my first A1 had a failed ECM, their truck division was logically my first choice. They didn't have the legal ability to program an ECM due to the serial range. I was directed to their Power Services division (gensets, pumps, etc) and they could program it but didn't want to as it was a vehicle . I had to stir the pot some and eventually Power Services came through which their labor rates and etc were cheaper too. Oh the fun we have with these trucks. :p

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter

This seems to be the replacement recommended by Honeywell for that deprecated pressure sensor. From what I can ascertain from the DataSheets, looks to be compatible?
Yeah I've looked at those exact pages..... The SX150D operates at 12v. That replacement operates at 5v and I had thought that would make them not compatible but upon looking at the data sheet it appears the replacement will operate at nominal 5v but up a max of 12v so yeah I think this could work! I'm going to order a few to fix my extra MMDC's! Thanks for the prod to look at the data sheets closer!

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, those look like the digital gauges, look for the MMDC box under the drivers dash, about eye level while standing on the ground when you open the door. Like In Generals pics, has 2 small airlines running to it. I suspect your power panel has 4 black modular relay/fuse boxes inside it. A1 variants notwithstanding, I believe you now posses what most would consider an A1R… R stands for Race, or “R” your pockets deep enough… Congratulations:)
It is not an A1R. That is the WTEC 3 transmission control and he stated it has the 100A alternator. The A1R would have the 260A alternator and the WTEC 4 transmission.

GENX - you have a late model A1...... A1R schematics are incorrect for your model..... you have something that's a hybrid of sorts. A1 with the C7, WTEC 3, MMDC..... what's your truck serial number?

Johno176

You installed a BRAND NEW MMDC? Or a "good" used one? I have not experienced what you describe. I would swap the air lines and see if the other gauge acts similarly to rule out some kind of supply pressure issue to the unit. If it stays with the same gauge after swapping the air lines front to back I would say you have a second bad MMDC. Every unit I have bought "surplus" has exhibited the same transducer failure issue. One of them legitimately had 35 miles on it and already had a bad transducer. These trucks sit and the air systems don't get drained leading to rust and moisture and any of that gets into the transducers and it kills them. Very poor design IMO that didn't account for the conditions these trucks experience in the real world.
It was a brand new MMDC unit. Right after I installed it I had the same random read outs on the same tank gauge. It would either read normal or show a reduced pressure reading. I will try swapping the air lines to see if it shows up in the other gauge.

Ronmar

GenX, What does the power panel look like? Got a pic of the front shock absorbers?

General, what exactly does a wtec4 control head look like?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GenX, What does the power panel look like? Got a pic of the front shock absorbers?

General, what exactly does a wtec4 control head look like?
Here's a PDF that goes over the different generations of WTEC. The "3" has a single digit display, while the "4" has a double-digit display. The "5" (which is not seen on FMTV's AFAIK) has a double digit display with a wrench icon between them.....

Page 13 details the WTEC 4.

Page 19 details the WTEC 3.

A true A1R would have the 4.

Ronmar

Well the MMDC and the 4 relay boxes indicates an R’s wiring but that unsprung shock does not indicate an R chassis, so you do appear to have a tween truck. Based on the 4 box PP I suspect the R wiring diagram does apply to you though…

Ronmar

Here's a PDF that goes over the different generations of WTEC. The "3" has a single digit display, while the "4" has a double-digit display. The "5" (which is not seen on FMTV's AFAIK) has a double digit display with a wrench icon between them.....

Page 13 details the WTEC 4.

Page 19 details the WTEC 3.

A true A1R would have the 4.
I have a friend who has an R(coil springs and all) and his has a 3 control panel. They were kind of sloppy with their version changes weren’t they:)

coachgeo

So it appears this upgrade is out on my chassis:
maybe you can get the parts form one of the parts strippers to convert it to air ride. A0 hoop and cab latch system.... granted the A1 cab latch may be able to re-used. Might even be an upgrade? Hydraulic hoses etc to go to it along with fittings to go to manifold if your A1 is different fittings (or fab in a mechanical release instead of hydraulic??)

Last edited:

Third From Texas

Yeah, that's a later A1 . The A1R would have the giant coil-over front shocks and no air ride. So you're sort of in-between models there. Score on the C7 though.

I bet it rides well w/o air ride. The only thing that makes the A1R's a bit stiffer is the coil over. Air ride is OK but lots of things to to wrong and they squeak like all hell. I've often wondered what my truck would run like with normal shocks replacing the coil overs.

Last edited:

Third From Texas

So it appears this upgrade is out on my chassis:
As Geo said, that's just the airbag replacement. There's a TON of other bits that make up the system. You'll spend thousands to make it a squeaky cab. LOL

Third From Texas

You do not have the air ride cab? You should..... I wouldn't think they ever produced a non air ride without coil spring shocks..... The coil springs were to support the armored cab upgrade and that's also when they deleted air ride.
That is curiously cool, huh.

It it sort of makes sense. The cab was never intended to be up-armored so the coil overs are totally unnecessary until you reach the P2.

Never seen this configuration before.

I like it.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks