• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A0, A1, A1R and TM's

GENX

Probably smoother riding a buckboard wagon on washboards than riding this. It’s sitting only on biscuits.
So I am thinking the best way to spend money on comfort upgrades will be the suspension…( if it even possible someone makes good suspension this large) and air ride seats.
The single latching cab point is wore out and everything is loose.

Third From Texas

Here the back and shot from side configuration.
Yep, that is the A1R cab system.

Out of curiosity, what is aft of the driver wheel well? Is it a slanted panel (that actually holds the parking chocks) or is it a panel that forms a rectangle?

The A1's typically had the slant unless equiped with winch, etc where the space housed the hydraulic tank.

7b1d8bb5-687b-451d-94a1-1ca7b55d7607.jpg

The A1R's all went to the boxed-in compartment.

8110041_0_0004.jpg

GENX

Yep, that is the A1R cab system.

Out of curiosity, what is aft of the driver wheel well? Is it a slanted panel (that actually holds the parking chocks) or is it a panel that forms a rectangle?

The A1's typically had the slant unless equiped with winch, etc where the space housed the hydraulic tank.

View attachment 872185

The A1R's all went to the boxed-in compartment.

View attachment 872186
It is slanted. But seeing that right angle one I am thinking a mod for a generator might be coming up.

GENX

Going to try to fab something like this in between the cab link and the support frame.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can honestly say that's the weirdest collection of parts I have seen thus far. But according to the parts manual it did indeed exist. The A1R cab latch was introduced starting at serial number 100001. Coil over shocks were introduced at serial number 101906.

What's your serial number? It will be a six digit number and it's on the data plate below the instrument panel. I predict it will be between 100001 and 101905

That means there were about 1900 trucks made with that configuration. Quite rare.

You will need two full sets of cab mounts BTW.

The whole "R" thing is basically trucks made after 100000.

And there are two different A1R schematics - They are labeled "A1R WTEC III LSAC" and "A1R GEN IV LSAC"

Last edited:

GENX

Can honestly say that's the weirdest collection of parts I have seen thus far. But according to the parts manual it did indeed exist. The A1R cab latch was introduced starting at serial number 100001. Coil over shocks were introduced at serial number 101906.

What's your serial number? It will be a six digit number and it's on the data plate below the instrument panel. I predict it will be between 100001 and 101906

That means there were less than 1900 trucks made with that configuration. Quite rare.

The whole "R" thing is basically trucks made after 100001.

And there are two different A1R schematics - They are labeled "A1R WTEC III LSAC" and "A1R GEN IV LSAC"
You are a wealth of knowledge General.
Sometimes I post on my phone and notice they don't go through, apologies. Happened a couple times. I sent this serial early this AM:
A-T 101564 BGFR

I have the WTEC III trans shifter if I recall right.

Ronmar

What's your serial number? It will be a six digit number and it's on the data plate below the instrument panel. I predict it will be between 100001 and 101906

That means there were less than 1900 trucks made with that configuration. Quite rare.

The whole "R" thing is basically trucks made after 100001.

yea think I only have seen the wtec3 version schematic, don’t recall any reference to the other transmission.

GENX

A military bud of mine invited me on base the 17th to talk with Motorpool guys and bring the M1078.
Any potential questions I should prep to ask?
Is it possible to plug up to read codes etc on my CTIS?
Haven't gotten around to trouble shooting this much more. I pulled the Air dryer filter and had to destroy old cartridge to get it out it was so grimy and baked in crud. So waiting on a new DQ6050 and two 1/4" dessicant filters like General has to preserve the transducers in MMCD before I pressurize that system anymore.

Also question on the schematics. Do the ones like the first sheet "A0-A1 LSAC" not pertain to mine at all or is there some cross over in these schematics I should look for regarding some things?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A military bud of mine invited me on base the 17th to talk with Motorpool guys and bring the M1078.
Any potential questions I should prep to ask?
Is it possible to plug up to read codes etc on my CTIS?
Yes they have the equipment to talk to the CTIS. But they probably *don't* have the Dana software that is actually significantly more useful than the IETM stuff. They can pull codes but since the Army doesn't want the grunts changing the pressure settings on the CTIS controller they don't have and probably don't even know about the Dana software that allows a lot more in-depth testing as well as setting all the pressures - like you can change the Highway pressure set point from 55 psi to 85 psi, and you can change all the overspeed set points where the CTIS automatically inflates if you go over speed X and ignore it's warning...... the Army does not want soldiers touching any of that. The Dana software DOES work with their laptops and SWICE kits but they probably don't have it, have never used it, and probably don't even know it exists. If you bring it to their attention the Motor Sargent *might* be willing to download and install it (not likely that anyone else has the authority/ability and technically he shouldn't either but in practice probably does) but technically the SWICE laptops are not supposed to be connected to the internet and they also don't recognize USB thumb drives or hard drives so getting it loaded might not be something they are willing or able to do. It definitely can be done but willingness may not exist.

Haven't gotten around to trouble shooting this much more. I pulled the Air dryer filter and had to destroy old cartridge to get it out it was so grimy and baked in crud. So waiting on a new DQ6050 and two 1/4" dessicant filters like General has to preserve the transducers in MMCD before I pressurize that system anymore.
Good idea. Order up a couple of the new Honeywell transducers and just replace both of them would be my recommendation.

Also question on the schematics. Do the ones like the first sheet "A0-A1 LSAC" not pertain to mine at all or is there some cross over in these schematics I should look for regarding some things?
They should not pertain to your truck. They have entirely different engines, transmissions, and power distribution panels.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Yep, mine is in the 119000 range (10/2008 )
Did it not happen to have older-ish trucks sent back after major FUBAR's like blown engine, trans or both etc..... end up getting some of the next generation parts cause that was what was being supplied at that time. This explains also how some trucks are so mix-matched.

Third From Texas

Is that Generator a little diesel one or? Is that originally made to fit there?
It's diesel. It actually the Yanmar engine from a BAPU that I swapped the 24v charging head for a 6.5Kw gen head. Back in 2018 there were piles of them with only break-in hours pouring off GP for cheap.

Dewey_01.png

78611953_10215495432649498_1663481983822462976_n.jpg

Sadly, the gen head took a dump at 25hrs during the big freeze. I suspect that it was a vibration issue, but something inside came apart and it was puking sparks like crazy. I have a little gas unit that I've been running since then. Much harder to find a replacement gen head now than pre-COVID. I may look into getting it rebuilt if it's not totaled, but the Northstar brand has not impressed me.

Honestly, it's too loud for the job. I intend to enclose/soundproof it a bit, add a better muffler, and run the exhaust up a stack to try and decrease some of the noise. It's seriously right up there with jack hammer (you literally cannot yell loud enough to communicate with someone standing next to it and the noise is a bit unpleasant inside the habitat). Just the nature of air-cooled diesel. And it does vibrate a lot (I mounted it on it's OEM bushings and between those and the fact that it was suspended on an aluminum shelf that itself is suspended by a piece of rubber mudflap, I think the gen head vibrated itself to bits. But I've never cracked the gen head case open to see what actually failed. It was a HELL of a racket, though wen it failed internally.

I even considered putting the charging head back on but as best I can tell I would be limited to charging only lead/acid batteries and at some point I will eventually shift to lithium for the house batteries.

Great little engines, though. My goal is to eventually only carry one fuel onboard.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks