• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 wheels on an A2 Deuce mounting ?s

tobyS

OK guys I ve been mulling over the idea of running my inner tubes in my A3 wheels I ve never had an issue with them. I want to ask if I can get the tire flaps for that size wheel or if I can just make them from used tubes from a truck shop?
I had some 14.00 x 20 NDCC that had them, so they are made. They went with the tires.

Sure, cut from a 14.00 innertube too---but I've not done it---it just seems to make sense.

As long as its wide enough to cover the beads that's what I was thinking and I forgot about the 14.00 stock NDTs I may stop at a truck tire place today and see I just don't want to fight with mounting the tires, tubes would be way easier. I bought them new about 4 years ago and never had any trouble with them at all.

tobyS

As long as its wide enough to cover the beads that's what I was thinking and I forgot about the 14.00 stock NDTs I may stop at a truck tire place today and see I just don't want to fight with mounting the tires, tubes would be way easier. I bought them new about 4 years ago and never had any trouble with them at all.
I was just thinking yesterday that there should be a liquid tire sealant that is like that spray on Flex-seal liquid rubber. Wo doesn't have problems with o-rings? Hey...new orings do matter, even then 2 of 6 go down rather quickly on my 929.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... Wo doesn't have problems with o-rings?...
Me...? Mounted dozens of 395's on FMTV and HEMTT wheels, and quite a few 16.00's, on HET wheels. Also dozens of 37" HMMWV tires...
I sure had all kind of issues but never a leaking O-ring seal. Never installed a NEW O-ring, either. (I simply can't buy new ones and have them here, next day...:))

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have the correct valve stems or the bead lock rings just trying to make this job easier and less expensive.
Well, get Wes to send you 8 of his FMTV beadlocks (he has them very cheap!), then make your own - exactly one inch wider than stock (by using two of them, cut and welded back together, along the center line.)
That's how I would do it, and it only takes an angle grinder with cutting disc and a welder to get it done. Maybe a bit of black paint (to hide your ugly weld spots, if any...:p)

I know what you're saying Gimp but it's my understanding the beads won't seat easy and I have to still decide if I want to go tubeless I have access to the valve stems but I already have a lot invested in my tubes already.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No pics/drawings and I never did it myself - because I never had to. But this is really a no-brainer job: cut one exactly in half. Then mark a second one in the center, add 1" and cut along that line. Take the wider section and weld it back to one of your halves. Doesn't have to be a continuous weld seem; just a spot, every two inches or so.
Actually you only need 6 of the stock beadlocks to create your 4 custom ones.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I'll ask this question I can run my tubes on these wheels with tire flaps safely?
I had a guy try to run tubes on the bolt together 5ton combat rims. It didn't work well - they were always getting perforated.

While the tires can be run with or without tubes, the 2 piece bolt together wheels are not designed to be used with tubes.

I realize a 5ton rim and an A3 deuce rim aren't the same thing, but they're close enough for this to be relevant.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks