• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 wheels on an A2 Deuce mounting ?s

tobyS

OK guys I ve been mulling over the idea of running my inner tubes in my A3 wheels I ve never had an issue with them. I want to ask if I can get the tire flaps for that size wheel or if I can just make them from used tubes from a truck shop?
I had some 14.00 x 20 NDCC that had them, so they are made. They went with the tires.

Sure, cut from a 14.00 innertube too---but I've not done it---it just seems to make sense.

As long as its wide enough to cover the beads that's what I was thinking and I forgot about the 14.00 stock NDTs I may stop at a truck tire place today and see I just don't want to fight with mounting the tires, tubes would be way easier. I bought them new about 4 years ago and never had any trouble with them at all.

tobyS

As long as its wide enough to cover the beads that's what I was thinking and I forgot about the 14.00 stock NDTs I may stop at a truck tire place today and see I just don't want to fight with mounting the tires, tubes would be way easier. I bought them new about 4 years ago and never had any trouble with them at all.
I was just thinking yesterday that there should be a liquid tire sealant that is like that spray on Flex-seal liquid rubber. Wo doesn't have problems with o-rings? Hey...new orings do matter, even then 2 of 6 go down rather quickly on my 929.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... Wo doesn't have problems with o-rings?...
Me...? Mounted dozens of 395's on FMTV and HEMTT wheels, and quite a few 16.00's, on HET wheels. Also dozens of 37" HMMWV tires...
I sure had all kind of issues but never a leaking O-ring seal. Never installed a NEW O-ring, either. (I simply can't buy new ones and have them here, next day...:))

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have the correct valve stems or the bead lock rings just trying to make this job easier and less expensive.
Well, get Wes to send you 8 of his FMTV beadlocks (he has them very cheap!), then make your own - exactly one inch wider than stock (by using two of them, cut and welded back together, along the center line.)
That's how I would do it, and it only takes an angle grinder with cutting disc and a welder to get it done. Maybe a bit of black paint (to hide your ugly weld spots, if any...:p)

I know what you're saying Gimp but it's my understanding the beads won't seat easy and I have to still decide if I want to go tubeless I have access to the valve stems but I already have a lot invested in my tubes already.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No pics/drawings and I never did it myself - because I never had to. But this is really a no-brainer job: cut one exactly in half. Then mark a second one in the center, add 1" and cut along that line. Take the wider section and weld it back to one of your halves. Doesn't have to be a continuous weld seem; just a spot, every two inches or so.
Actually you only need 6 of the stock beadlocks to create your 4 custom ones.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I'll ask this question I can run my tubes on these wheels with tire flaps safely?
I had a guy try to run tubes on the bolt together 5ton combat rims. It didn't work well - they were always getting perforated.

While the tires can be run with or without tubes, the 2 piece bolt together wheels are not designed to be used with tubes.

I realize a 5ton rim and an A3 deuce rim aren't the same thing, but they're close enough for this to be relevant.