• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aberdeen 2017 (44th East Coast Rally held at Ripken Stadium May 11-13

CGarbee

So, I just got my letter from Anja at the Washington Area Collectors/Blue and Gray Military Vehicle Trust with the vendor information and renewal form for my spaces at this year's event.
According to the letter, the 44th Annual East Coast Rally will be held on May 11-13, 2017 at Ripken Stadium on the parking lot as it has been for the past twelve or thirteen years. My paperwork did have a line through my spaces saying that they are not available this year. Their website indicates it is for a New Parking Access Corridor... No suggestions as to where I should relocate...

Dudley Taylor used to start a thread about this rally and would get a block of spaces for folks, but he isn't with us anymore (RIP...).

So, who is going and what spaces are you in?

rickf

I never got my registration papers either and after going back and forth for a month I just found out the same that Cabell found out about the spots being eliminated. I was told we were all being moved in one row. Interesting, where are the people that were in that row going?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know alot of folks go here, but I just don't see the allure of camping in a parking lot.
Heresy I say, I camped out in a Walmart parking lot 3 years ago when the winged Dodge toasted a wheel bearing coming back from Haspin.

:)

CGarbee

Will it be "sold out" like last year?????
It will be interesting to see...
Since they are eliminating an entire double row of vendor spaces, they have less to sell.

That being said, I am seriously thinking about not purchasing any spaces this year (I have been getting four...) and instead getting a hotel room for a night and not bringing any gear.
I really have only been attending in order to visit with a dozen folks that I only see once a year, at this event...
It is a lot less expensive these days for me to drive up in the Yukon, get a hotel room for one night, and then run back home.

HAWKMAN

Just sent my paperwork in yesterday, I'll be in K-10 K-11. Seems to be mainly vendor on vendor action with more and more empty spaces2cents, Friday auction can net some good deals....I will be bringing HUMVEE doors/tops/covers and if anyone needs any CUCV stuff let me know....

Scrounger

I’ll be there as usual and should be in my usual spaces, especially since it is for all intents and purposes just up the road from me.
While the Aberdeen show is a shadow of its former self, it still has a lot going for it. Easy access, plenty of space, close lodging, and restaurants nearby.
It all depends on whether one looks at it as the glass half full or half empty.
Let us not forget that some of the reasons for the decline are from circumstances that were out of the control of the organizers. In the past years, the show was held on APG, that was eliminated because of 9/11. The ordnance and vehicles were moved to Ft. Lee Va.
There were some things that the organizers could have done better. However, as one who has been in positions in volunteer organizations I will not criticize them on a public forum. Don’t criticize someone unless you’re willing to do the job yourself.
Just remember that after a while of not supporting a show it may very well go away.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to call and reserve my spots, but I'll be there again as usual. Won't be selling much this time, just enjoying the company of friends.

surplusyes

This link http://washingtonbluegray.com/site-layout.html shows the revised access into and out of the rally parking lot which is why some spaces in the outside rows were moved, this allows a wider/safer lane around the parking lot. The reason for doing this was the Stadium management has had other events which uses the small front parking lot which gets congested. The HQ registration tent was also moved so it does not block the lane. I do not have the final figures but on 17 April 2016, 154 "vendors/people/companies" had purchased 417 spaces. Thanks to the vendors and visitors one of the largest donations to military museums totalling $6,000 in 2016.
$2,000 to the Project Liberty Ship SS John W Brown based in Baltimore, MD
$1,000 Americans in Wartime Museum, VA
$1,000 LST-325 Ship Memorial Evansville, IA
$1,000 Hagerstown Air Museum MD, toward the C123 restoration.

On a sad note we lost one of our long time members and Judge, George Mele passed away 13 Jan, he will be sorely missed

Regards
Tom

CGarbee

It's a shame that there is not a listing, as there has been in the past, on the website showing who has reserved the spaces that are occupied already. I know that it takes effort, but it would be nice for those of us displaced by the rearrangement to see where folks are so that we know what spaces to request.

CGarbee

I'm on my phone and can't seem to edit my above post...
I just wanted to add that a listing of vendors who have already reserved spots might also help some folks on their decision to attend....

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a person who has never attended this event. It would be nice to see a list of vendors who will be there. It helps me to ask them ahead of time if they can bring certain parts with them. Also it determines how much money for me to bring. :)

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
If I'm around, I will probably show up. It will most likely be a "line item requisition" event for me...as in, if someone wants something, I will bring it only by request. Sussex, NJ MTA show will be the big one for me this year.

rickf

This link http://washingtonbluegray.com/site-layout.html shows the revised access into and out of the rally parking lot which is why some spaces in the outside rows were moved, this allows a wider/safer lane around the parking lot. The reason for doing this was the Stadium management has had other events which uses the small front parking lot which gets congested. The HQ registration tent was also moved so it does not block the lane. I do not have the final figures but on 17 April 2016, 154 "vendors/people/companies" had purchased 417 spaces. Thanks to the vendors and visitors one of the largest donations to military museums totalling $6,000 in 2016.
$2,000 to the Project Liberty Ship SS John W Brown based in Baltimore, MD
$1,000 Americans in Wartime Museum, VA
$1,000 LST-325 Ship Memorial Evansville, IA
$1,000 Hagerstown Air Museum MD, toward the C123 restoration.

On a sad note we lost one of our long time members and Judge, George Mele passed away 13 Jan, he will be sorely missed

Regards
Tom
It's a shame that nobody would address this back in December when the registration forms for prior registrants were supposed to be received never arrived. I sent e-mail after e-mail to no avail. I finally made contact only to be told my spots were no longer available. That was it, no explanation at all, just "No longer available". Now, I have been going there long enough and have seen the trend and know hat there is no way that my spots were sold out by January so something was up but NO explanation. Finally I find out that my neighbors there got the same message and informing the registrar that I was not interested in any other spots I was finally told those spots were eliminated.
BUT, On the map, and finding the map anymore is impossible, it only showed that row of spots removed. It showed the registration tent in it's original spot. Again, Poor information.
By this time it is late February and I have made my decision that since our vendor group has been broken up I was not going. And neither were the others in the group. Total of 6-8 spots lost to the rally. There was absolutely NO information forthcoming as to where we were going to be moved to. I was told we were going to be moved over one row. That would entail moving a vendor that buys about 40 spaces in the next row and I do not think he is going to go for that.
I was not given anything more concrete than that, no spot numbers ,just " A row over".

It is a **** shame that no credible information is given out until this late, I have made other plans at this point. I asked if I could trailer my Jeep down to use it to canvass the show since I am disabled and all I got in reply was a registration form. I will assume that is a no, and I would have to pay to enter the jeep just so I could use it to get around.

cruzinz28

Here is what I have left in my "over stock".

1.) HMMWV 2-Man Truck Cargo Divider
2.) M105A3 Trailer
3.) 20,000 lbs. PTO winch on pallet (rebuild but never installed on a truck)
4.) 9x20 NDT Tires for Deuce with tubes. (Lots of tread left) (Qty 4)
5.) M105 Trailer Axles with Leaf Springs
6.) What I am told is a M37 Winter Hood Blanket
7.) Arctic Kit for M35A2 that includes:
* Grill Cover
* Hood Blanket
* Sides Covers
* Loop Hardware
*** Note as seen installed on my old truck, obviously truck not included LoL)
8.) M35A2 Electric Wiper Assembly with Washer Kit
9.) M35A2 Windshield Frame with good glass. Some rust on windshield frame

Let me know if your interested and we'll talk prices. I am looking for some HMMWV parts and would consider trades as well.

IMG_1504.jpgIMG_1501.jpgIMG_1502.jpgIMG_2757.jpgIMG_1505.jpgIMG_1506.jpgIMG_0156.jpgIMG_0157.jpg

Jesse

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks