• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice on Deuce purchase.

CobraCDR

It's always good to download the manuals and study up on them (not to mention checking into your zoning laws, insurance, etc.). Do a proper PMCS and see if you discover anything big that my be a show stopper for the deal. Best way to check it out is to go "by the numbers' with the -10.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Those are normal deuce spots, no need to worry. The only thing I saw wrong was the bad dog bone. Once you get it home, come grab one of the spares I have. Nice truck that needs minor work. Call if you have any more questions.

3dAngus

The truck runs but I didn't drive it. I needed further info on registration and insurance before getting serious enough to drive it..

If you haven't driven it, drive it. The single best reason for buying from an individual is you have that priviledge. You cannot do that from GL. You might buy one there, and the tranny doesn't move it, the driveshaft falls off after a forklift operation, the brakes don't work, the fuel pump fails, and the filters are all clogged.

Buying from a person who knows the vehicle is much safer, and he usually knows the ins and outs of the vehicle. But if you don't take advantage of that, it's counter productive. Go back and take if for a test drive, then sleep on it before you buy. Driving it might give you more questions to ask the present owner. Good luck. Seems like a good deal. I would be worried about all those leaks underneath though.

All of you guys have been a great help.
I'm going for a second look tomorrow afternoon.
I'll definitely take it for a drive and get a much closer look at all the aspects of this truck.
So...it all goes well, the pooch is in trouble.

m816

Drive it, Then buy it. You could spend more in a year on Beer. But you can't drive a beer keg. If you park a beer keg in the drive way, the neighbors will talk. If you park a deuce in the drive way, they will mostly stay clear of you. If they stay clear of you then you have no worried. If they come around and want to play with it too. Make them buy beer. Win,Win situation. All this wisdom befor havin a second cup of cofee. Gonna be a good day

Vanniek71

Great thread, answers a lot of questions I had as well (I am a newbie to the deuce game, but looking to get my 1st before winter here in CO)

After being rained out earlier this week, it was finally time to take a second serious look at the Deuce.
An hour before leaving, I called my insurance agent to confirm the coverage she quoted a couple of weeks ago from my current insurance carrier. Liability coverage was quoted at $124 per year. They were told very clearly at the time exactly what this vehicle was. This afternoon I verified the info and sent them a photo. Sure enough, they won't cover this vehicle. She went to work finding another carrier. About 10 minutes before arriving at the truck, she called and and told me she found full coverage for $145 per year with a value on the truck of $4000. Excellent, I'm good to go.
I arrived and looked the truck over again. One torque rod bushing shot. A rod was welded over the stud to prevent the torque rod from falling off. The rest looked good. The radiator lower sheet metal bracket had broken it's solder joint to the radiator. The bracket was rusted. The right window regulator wouldn't lower the window. The handbrake lever was missing the adjuster cap. There was a pair of car batteries installed as one of the originals had a dead cell.
The truck was stone cold and fired right up. Lights and accessories worked.
It ran, shifted and stopped well. It sounded awesome.
I was ready to put cash in his hand. I called my insurance agent back to arrange the paperwork and was told the quote she gave me an hour earlier was not valid. The company wouldn't insure it because it was too new (1985).
She found a quote from Condon & Skelly at $75 per year. Many restrictions including it must be parked in a locked garage or barn. I don't have the luxury of inside parking for it at this time. She eventually came up with a quote from Progressive for $475 annually with lots of restrictions. I wouldn't buy from Progressive at any price due to their political views. At this point, I don't trust anything she is telling me as it will most probably change within the hour.
As this truck was intended as a toy to play with a couple times a month, it doesn't seem like it was meant to be for me. I'm going to walk away from this and the desire to own a Deuce.
If anyone is interested in this truck I'll forward contact info and additional photos.
The price is firm at $3000. It is located in Crittenden, KY, about 30 miles south of Cincinnati.
I would once again like to thank all of you for your time, help and encouragement.
It is surely a fine crew you have here.
Have a great weekend.

Dave

Last edited:

3dAngus

If you would have just read the dozens of threads on insurance, you would have known State Farm is the place to go. About $150 each six months for liability. No hassles.

Vanniek71

I'm going to walk away from this and the desire to own a Deuce.
Seems to me you just need to find a new insurance agent, or a do a little leg work on the insurance yourself. I am sure all these folks that have deuces could guide you in the right direction for insurance purposes, and you could still own one!

swampzr2

Gulfway insurance gets me covered for under $200/year. I don't have to park it indoors or in a locked place either.

Don't be a quitter, this deuce is meant for you.

tco3129

Pay $45 a month, listed as commercial (it's cheaper than private). Insured as daily driver, 25000lb GVW
No hassels, agent loved it. STATE FARM !!!!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I know he won't leave the insurance co because of "certain"reasons of coverage. I'm not sure why a lone policy with another company would be too much trouble though.

steelandcanvas

As this truck was intended as a toy to play with a couple times a month, it doesn't seem like it was meant to be for me. I'm going to walk away from this and the desire to own a Deuce.
Dave
Probably a good idea since the truck has a few minor issues, and you let one person dictate what the insurance premiums were going to be. I agree, too much hassle for a toy.

I appreciate all the advice concerning insurance. My biggest disappointment has been the incompetence of my own insurance agent. Twice I've been told I could get coverage at a resonable rate. In the end that has quadrupled (assuming that she really can do it).
I first looked at this truck last July. It was pretty neat. My girlfriend's father, a Marine Vietnam vet with fond motorpool experience, was the driving force in a truck partnership. After some investigation of insurance and licensing cost ($125 annualy combined), I was ready to take the plunge. Neither of us wanted it in our yards so a place to keep it was a red flag. He then backed out completely for some BS excuse that I should have forseen knowing him.
This takes me 2 months down the road and the truck is still on Craigslist. The thought of having this thing never went away. The price is down from $3500 to $3000. I'm thinking I should just buy this thing to get it off my mind.
I'm willing to park it at my place outside pretty well concealed from the neighbors. I don't need or want another project so this will receive minimal attention. It will have indoor parking if and when I finish another large project.
The purchase price is fine. Tags and insurance next to nothing. I'm going for a second look and drive this thing.
I had $3000 cash in my pocket. I had plans of bringing it home this morning.
The forethought of confirming the info with my ins. agent is where things went bad and got worse every time I spoke to her. It was late Friday afternoon. There was no way this thing could be insured in time for a drive home today.
There were a few items in need of attention on the truck but none were show stoppers to me. I would venture to say this was in in original condition as the paint was faded and outer unpainted latches and such were rusting. The nooks and crannies in the bed were showing signs of rust where moisture had collected. There were no rust holes in the body or bed. The rustproofing was peeling from the inside of the fenders and engine side of the firewall. The truck is a 1985, engine date 1984. A clear title was on hand and all numbers matched. A ride in this thing had an ear to ear grin across my face.
So I left, quite disappointed that the truck wasn't mine. I'll call my agent back Monday morning and hang the thought of loosing my business over her head. I'm one of those ideal customers who just keeps sending them checks and never has any claims. The insurance carrier I currently have has been the best overall choice for my combined insurance needs. Any policy for the Deuce at this time would be a lone policy.
I'm not looking to see how much I can spend converting a Deuce into iron oxide in the back yard. The low initial purchase price and essential costs were attractive. As the number continues to increase exponentially, it becomes much less attractive. That added to the fact that Deuces seem to be white elephants around here.
I'm still a little curious why this truck is still available. He has had several lookers. All of them give him some lowball offer. He is stuck on $3000. He has parted several trucks before and tells me he will part it out before letting it go for less than $3000.
There is still a chance this will have a new home here but things are fine here without it. If it's not meant to be I'm good with that. I'll always hear that turbo whistling though.