• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aluminum wheels

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, finally something happening, although it's an extremally longshot that I will have these nuts in time. Recieved the quote today $83 per nut and they are in stock, but I can't just pay for them and get them shipped to me. The red tape involved in trying to buy 4 nut is just ludicrous. Had to fill out the Triman end user certification paperwork which is all military mumbo jumbo that has no relevance to me. Then the form has to go to their accounting department and be approved, then they'll call me for payment.......supposedly. I'm fulling expecting to find out they don't accept credit card payments. Then once the order is paid for, they'll place the order with Hutchinson, who apparently has to ship to Triman, and then Triman ship to me. This my friends, is why we all pay soooo much federal income tax. Everything is optimized to be as inefficient as it can possibly be.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, finally something happening, although it's an extremally longshot that I will have these nuts in time. Recieved the quote today $83 per nut and they are in stock, but I can't just pay for them and get them shipped to me. The red tape involved in trying to buy 4 nut is just ludicrous. Had to fill out the Triman end user certification paperwork which is all military mumbo jumbo that has no relevance to me. Then the form has to go to their accounting department and be approved, then they'll call me for payment.......supposedly. I'm fulling expecting to find out they don't accept credit card payments. Then once the order is paid for, they'll place the order with Hutchinson, who apparently has to ship to Triman, and then Triman ship to me. This my friends, is why we all pay soooo much federal income tax. Everything is optimized to be as inefficient as it can possibly be.
Don't take it personally. You're getting a very unique truck, but with it comes unique problems.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, I’m not taking it personally, it’s just amazing how inefficient anything that has anything to do with supply to the government is.
It's not that the system is inefficient, it's just inefficient for how you want to use it. If you were a military, ordering enough of these to support their 100,000 FMTVs, it works as designed.

If these lug nuts aren't used on any (or many) other commercial vehicles, the commercial supply chain isn't going to stock them because there are basically no customers to buy them.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is typical. Unless it happens to be a part used in the civilian world (and don't think that means engine and transmission parts - only *sometimes* is that the case) it very often will carry a part number that is mandated by the government to be distributed only to authorized channels - this ensures that countries we don't (currently) let play in our sandbox can't get parts for the stuff we gave them or left in their country or at least makes it harder in principle. And yeah it may seem ridiculous but they put this in place in a blanket way because it's too difficult to figure it out on a part-by-part basis. You probably aren't aware that your FMTV's cab latch is also used on F22 Raptors.....

Try to get an alternator. Besides the fact that it's over $4,000 you'll have to prove you aren't going to export it and they are WAY more interested in not being involved in any Imperial Entanglements and ending up on the 6 o-clock news for making uncle sugar mad than they are in your measly few dollars. You aren't their market.

Then you have the parts that S&S/BAE licensed from Steyr back in the 90's or sourced from the same suppliers in Germany that Steyr used. A surprising amount of electrical parts including all the dash switches, column switch, washer fluid pump, and you'll find more..... makes finding the stuff on this continent just barrels of fun. Not as bad as things like Unimogs and not as much competition for the parts but similar situation - at least with the surplus auction parts slowly trickling out there's opportunity to buy spares but you have to ALWAYS be looking before the scalpers snap them up in volume.

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, as of Thursday the nuts are paid for and on order. The gal in accounting has been pretty helpful and said she would ask Hutchinson to expedite the order. Once Triman receives the nuts, she said she would contact me to take payment for shipping and said they would be able to ship them overnight if necessary. Hopefully they receive them early enough that I don’t need to pay overnight as I’m sure it won’t be cheap.

Also, the shop I’m getting my wheels/tires from found 4 more rims, so he has 8 now. A mutual friend of ours has a 6X and wants 7, so that leaves one for me so now I have a rim for my spare:)

ramdough

Okay, as of Thursday the nuts are paid for and on order. The gal in accounting has been pretty helpful and said she would ask Hutchinson to expedite the order. Once Triman receives the nuts, she said she would contact me to take payment for shipping and said they would be able to ship them overnight if necessary. Hopefully they receive them early enough that I don’t need to pay overnight as I’m sure it won’t be cheap.

Also, the shop I’m getting my wheels/tires from found 4 more rims, so he has 8 now. A mutual friend of ours has a 6X and wants 7, so that leaves one for me so now I have a rim for my spare:)
Hope all of the ducks line up for you. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brennan

Supporting Vendor
Just wanted to chime in to let you know that I am a Hutchinson dealer. As specified above, the pricing has increased since the invoice was posted. I will be offering these as a kit, which will include 2 each of the left and right specialty lug nuts, along with 4 of the large center o-rings. PM me if you wish to purchase. (just paid for the vendor membership, hopefully no rules are being broken, just trying to get these hard to find parts to you guys easier).

Brennan

Supporting Vendor
Happy to help. I will have 4 kits worth of stock in next week, let me know if anyone is interested in purchasing. (I can also get any other Hutchinson products you may need, just provide part numbers and qty needed).

Dan6x6

Happy to help. I will have 4 kits worth of stock in next week, let me know if anyone is interested in purchasing. (I can also get any other Hutchinson products you may need, just provide part numbers and qty needed).
I'm new to the site, not sure how to send a PM yet. Let me know the best way to reach you... Can you send me a PM? Thanks

ramdough

Believe it or not, the CTI lug nuts delivered today! I’m on a plain tomorrow to go get the truck:)
Create a new post with your route on the forums…..then put a link in this thread. As you travel, update your progress. That way people can chime in if you are passing through their area. You will find that many people here will offer support if you need it.

Third From Texas

Create a new post with your route on the forums…..then put a link in this thread. As you travel, update your progress. That way people can chime in if you are passing through their area. You will find that many people here will offer support if you need it.

GREAT idea !

And pics when possible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks