• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

another bullet muffler install

dcwilkie

Installed the Dynomax 24216 last Saturday. Overall I would say it's a 20% reduction in noise when driving, but more like 30 to 40% when idling. I can't hear the Deuce inside the house when it's warming up like I used to :eek:
All y'all doing this mod, there's a couple of things to watch for.
1) don't cut the pipe too short. If you do, there won't be enough clearance for the heat guard at the bottom.
2) Make sure you get good alignment when welding the cut-off flange segment to the new muffler. If you don't it makes it hard to re-install the heat guard.
3) I allowed 2 inches of overlap top and bottom (4 inches total).
Remember- measure, mark, measure, :confused:re-mark, measure, erase new marks and go back to original marksaua, re-measure, and cut! [thumbzup]

Murdawg

I put one on the other day after reading this post. I would agree with dcwilkie's sound reduction percentages. People have told me that is is quieter. I still wear air plugs while driving it and wrap my dogs head up in a towel. I think it would be good with two of them on. It took about 15 min to put on and was easy as pie.

I am half tempted to move the exhaust behind the cab somewhere. I could run a piece of 4in pipe strait out the back. Or duel stack out behind the cab with some tappers.

Maverick1701

No kidding summit is fast. Installed it tonight. Me and the wife could have a convo at 50 in the thing. You can hear so much more stuff now. Bolts and panels rattling, the top flopping around and the fan screaming above 2k. Not nearly as much gear noise as I expected.
I hate it when I hear strange sounds in my deuce...I think something is about to fail/break but Im a bit of a deuce hypocondriac (sp?)

59apache

Chipmaker
here is my installation. 2 plates 4mm thick, 2 bolts made out of mild roundiron - don't use screws, they tend to break after welding!

welded to the muffler, cut the pipe and mounted instead the original clamp. 2 heavy duty clamps on bottom and top - heatshield installed - finish!

sounds good, bit deeper.

Attachments

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put one on the other day after reading this post. I think it would be good with two of them on.
I've thought about doing that as well. Would it drop the sound by the same amount w/ a second one on? We have one already, and room for a second one above, on the She Beast.

yak50pilot

I did this a year ago and used a spiral baffle muffler. It is better than the DM muffler. It is less expensive and wont burn and blow any fiber out. Also helped with boost creep. Nice job. The sawzall is a great tool.:beer:

oddshot

I did this a year ago and used a spiral baffle muffler. It is better than the DM muffler. It is less expensive and wont burn and blow any fiber out. Also helped with boost creep. Nice job. The sawzall is a great tool.:beer:
Hey Yak ...

Is a bigger foto of you Bobbed Duece in the pictures thread?

If not ... could you post one there?

oddshot

goldneagle

I installed a NAPA muffler to my Deuce last year. I went with a BIG muffler not that skimpy little tube in the beginning of this thread. I cut off the flange connectors and went with stainless steel pipe clamps. As you will see in the pictures there is no heat shield! Heat shield is for p*****s! The muffler does not get that hot. It does cut down on a lot of noise though. I used a piece of flat metal to make a support strap to holt it from shaking all over the place! I used the piece of pipe removed from the J-pipe to create the upper stack pipe. I installed the flapper to keep the rain out.

BTW that muffler was a stock item at the local NAPA store.

Attachments

EXITNOONE

stumbled onto this thread and glad i did.

M35A3's have a horrendously large muffler which blocks half your view out the passenger side of the cab. of course that giant muffler does it's job nicely, but it's ugly as h#ll, and i've been thinking of going to a smaller diameter muffler despite what could be an increase in noise.
the A3 needs all the help it can get in the looks department.

i just might go with the narrower muffler...

oddshot

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks