• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Beat to heck GovPlanet Humvee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgot GP does not allow previews. At GL you should always assume something is wrong.

AceHigh

A truck that is a few decades old and driven by maybe 50 different twenty year olds is going to have some serious wear and tear. Hope that it all works out for you, OP.

The bids I have placed were all based on scrap value, just in case.

combat32

I bet I drove that truck, there's your problem;) If it was an OC truck, I can guarntee it had a hard life!

My pic on the left is me at NTC back around 1999 in the hidden pass when I was an OC with the Scorpions.

And to answer your question, No its not normal for the firewall to flex, bet you have a bad motor mount or transmission or both.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My rule of thumb is, never bid on a item a amount over scrap value that you can't afford to loose. I've won big sometimes, other times I've lost. It's just the nature of buying items Uncle Sam deems unserviceable. I've never bid on a HMMWV as they are selling for more than I'm willing to loose.

With that being said, it does seem GP is trying to represent items better than they actually are. File a claim and see how good their "iron clad assurance" is, it's about the only repercussions you have.

tage

Take out your air cleaner, and drop it on the ground or roll it down the driveway. I bet you it's like smoke screen.
ha I actually did that. Full of sand!!

Thx Tom for confirming the firewall issue!

This is will be a real test to the "IronClad Assurance". I'll keep y'all updated with their final decision.

greenjeepster

One thing I am concerned with is it listing a 6.5 engine and it actually having a 6.2.
Why would you care? They are both fairly lousy diesel engines, but replacements are plentiful and cheap. Power wise the 6.5 is only marginally better and with an aftermarket turbo and injector pump the 6.2 makes more power than the 6.5.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only picture they show that is under the truck neglects to show this. Whoever took that GP picture saw that, and decided to not represent the product.

Integrity?! :recovry4x4:
am I missing something? Whats the "real damage?" A dent in the oil pan,dirt, surface rust? If I had a dime for every HMMWV that has a dent in the oil pan, I could retire. You clearly have not seen the trucks from the 99 auctions.
and here is something for any future buyers.....if it's Tan in color, it's beat.
most of these trucks came from NTC...
the mid-west and eastern trucks look very nice in comparison.

i have a frame off restored truck in the shop you could eat off of if you are really picky.

Last edited:

my69camaro

My recent 1990 M998 purchase.

In the auction info it stated truck cranked but would not run. So I figured I'd gamble as all my 1008s and 1009s needed only battery's or glow plugs to start.

Get the thing home. No coolant, I assume it was drained for storage, so I put in 5gal. Put in fresh battery's and sure enough it cranks but no start. Check glow plugs; all 8 are swollen, cracked, or missing chunks. So I buy a new set on ebay. Couple days later I install them. After a few tries it actually fires up. But........ Instantly it blows most all of the coolant out, and there is constant white haze surrounding the truck. Hahaha. Headgasket or crack somewhere I can only assume.

I gambled and didn't exactly win this go around. For my $5250 winning bid Ill accept it. Just looks like my 6bt swap must happen sooner rather than later. :)

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My recent 1990 M998 purchase.

In the auction info it stated truck cranked but would not run. So I figured I'd gamble as all my 1008s and 1009s needed only battery's or glow plugs to start.

Get the thing home. No coolant, I assume it was drained for storage, so I put in 5gal. Put in fresh battery's and sure enough it cranks but no start. Check glow plugs; all 8 are swollen, cracked, or missing chunks. So I buy a new set on ebay. Couple days later I install them. After a few tries it actually fires up. But........ Instantly it blows most all of the coolant out, and there is constant white haze surrounding the truck. Hahaha. Headgasket or crack somewhere I can only assume.

I gambled and didn't exactly win this go around. For my $5250 winning bid Ill accept it. Just looks like my 6bt swap must happen sooner rather than later. :)
did you open a claim for your "iron clad guarentee"?. I know folks who have used it, they have in fact had very good outcomes.

here is the problem as GP, they are a get it to run at all costs...running makes for higher opening bid, 7500.00 as compared to 5k. I am seeing cheap store bought batteries in some of these lower quality trucks, meaning they tinkered with them to get them running...batteries, bad jump starts, starting fluids....all of this equals blown EESS boxes, swollen glow plugs and effed up motors for using starting fluid...NEVER use starting fluids on 6.2,6.5 and 6.5TD's.

my69camaro

did you open a claim for your "iron clad guarentee"?. I know folks who have used it, they have in fact had very good outcomes.

here is the problem as GP, they are a get it to run at all costs...running makes for higher opening bid, 7500.00 as compared to 5k. I am seeing cheap store bought batteries in some of these lower quality trucks, meaning they tinkered with them to get them running...batteries, bad jump starts, starting fluids....all of this equals blown EESS boxes, swollen glow plugs and effed up motors for using starting fluid...NEVER use starting fluids on 6.2,6.5 and 6.5TD's.
Nah, I figure it said cranks but doesn't run so I get what I get. Which is perfectly fine. I had one dent in the back where it looks like someone hit something while the antenna mount was attached that wasn't mentioned or pictured but I figure a 2x4 and mallet will straighten that just fine. Over all I think its in good used shape for what it is and I'll live. Guys at the storage lot were very helpful (Plainfield IL). Pushed it up on the trailer for me and everything.

I don't think the GP guys are trying to "Hide" anything. Just small staffs running between multiple yards taking pics of a bunch of used old trucks. I'm happy just to have the ability to buy one now.

tage

Am I missing something? Whats the "real damage?"
The real damage is that it was purposely not disclosed... I feel in a way to draw up more bids then what it would go for compared if a honest listing was portrayed. Legal definition is fraud. But, hey I'm just some pog SOB who blew a wad of cash right?

Some people loose that integrity along the way I gueß.

tage

See and I would be okay with that as well if I paid your price for the truck... However I'm in about twice of what you paid. :)

Last edited:

3dAngus

The best investment ever made in a HMMWV, is not in the cash it cost you, but in the level of pre-screening you put in it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks