• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sprayed some Behr Exterior Acrylic in the CARC 383 colors listed above, on Airbornebandsman's M109 van today. Cut it about 20% with Flow-Trol to retard the drying time (triple digit temperatures and 0% humidity, paint usually dries as soon as it leaves the sprayer) as well as another 20% water to thin it, and at 40psi it sprayed GREAT. Went on nice & even, we had to hurry up and get the area behind the truck cab done before priming since the van is getting mounted tomorrow to Airbornebandsman's deuce truck.

Airbornebandsman reported that the cost was only just over $20, and I used maybe 1/8 of the gallon to do this area. A full gallon will go a LOOOONG way! Looks like we can do the whole van with under 2 gallons of paint.

Attachments

Last edited:

IronDeuce

Here is some information on my own Behr experience....

At first we were going to attempt to tackle the task of paint with some Rapco 686 Substitute rattle cans. In the end, it didnt take too well to the CARC, so we abandoned that and went the Behr/Roller route.

- Side note: Later found that the Rapco cans love a little base layer of Rusty Metal Primer, and a few light coats. The interior dash/windshield assembly was all Rapco.

We started with grinding away all the crud on the underside, and applied Rust Reformer, Rusty Metal Primer, and Rustoleum Flat Black (which isnt all that flat, but I'm not a purist).

For the interior Floor, I used Rustoleum Truck Bed Spray. While it probably isnt great for a truck bed, it is awesome on the floor. A nice, semi-rough texture.

For the exterior, I took a sample of the Rapco 686 to Home Depot for sampling, and the match was a dead ringer! In fact I went back over a few tough to reach parts and hit it with the Rapco - you cannot even tell. The bulk was done with 4" rollers and a small brush. The bed and side racks were tackled with a 9" roller.

We took the idea a few others have regarding a layer of paint, then sand, and more paint in the bed. Came out awesome, as a great (read: CHEAP) alternative to Rhino Lining.

In all, plan on 2 weekends (if you go non stop). Here is a review of materials:
- 4 Cans Rust Reformer
- 6 Cans Rusty Metal Primer
- 3 Cans Rapco Rattlers
- 12 Cans Flat Black
- 1 Can Rustoleum BBQ Paint (for exhaust)
- 3 Cans Behr Premium Plus Exterior
- 1 Can VHT Black Vinyl Dye for steering wheel/switch box
- Will later be using more to finish the cab cover (tried an "alternative" but it didnt take at all... VHT stuck right to it!)

Again, not a purist, but a HUGE improvement as you can see from the before/after!

Thanks to those who started this trend.

Attachments

Last edited:

IronDeuce

Thanks Maddawg! Let me know if you ever want to meet-up... I'm right here in FFX. Not sure if you've ventured this way with a rig, but its worth the reaction from everyone!

sparepartsracing

Just got my first coat done on my truck. I am completely blown away by how this paint lays down. I was so skeptical about using this paint, but now I don't think I would every spray my offroad projects with anything else. Thanks for everyone's help. I will have pictures to follow later today after I got back to my shop.

mikey

I just spent the last two weekends and about 20 hours and did a pretty decent "depot" paint job. There are minor flaws up close, but I'll work them out over time. I bought one gallon of Rustoleum rusty metal primer and four gallons of Behr 383 carc green but only used 3. I did not touch the bottom of the truck, or inside the cab but I did do the inside of the bed. I also used a decent amount touching up the headache rack, troop seats and bows and uprights.

I used a roller for the big open areas and a $100 wagner paint sprayer for everything else. I tried thinning with acetone, xylene and paint thinner but they all caused the sprayer to throw up some crud and chunks. I wound up not thinning for the best results.

Mikey

Attachments

Last edited:
I just spent the last two weekends and about 20 hours and did a pretty decent "depot" paint job. There are minor flaws up close, but I'll work them out over time. I bought one gallon of Rustoleum rusty metal primer and four gallons of Behr 383 carc green but only used 3. I did not touch the bottom of the truck, or inside the cab but I did do the inside of the bed. I also used a decent amount touching up the headache rack, troop seats and bows and uprights.

I used a roller for the big open areas and a $100 wagner paint sprayer for everything else. I tried thinning with acetone, xylene and paint thinner but they all caused the sprayer to throw up some crud and chunks. I wound up not thinning for the best results.

Mikey
Wow mikey, that looks great! If you don't mind my asking, what was your total job cost on that?

mikey

Wow mikey, that looks great! If you don't mind my asking, what was your total job cost on that?
Thank you.

I had all the tools. I used a pressure washer to wash the truck and degrease it. I then used a wire brush with my angle grinder to remove loose paint and rust. I then treated the rust with rust remover, primed the rusted areas and painted.

I did not keep meticulous receipts, but I know that I spent $155 on four gallons of the Behr premium carc 383 green, 1 gallon of Rustoleum rusty metal primer and one gallon of Klean-Strip rust remover. I spent an additional $40 (approximate) on wire wheels for my angle grinder. I spent $40 more on a 5 gallon pale of degreaser. Add maybe $20 more for painters tape, rollers, disposable tray and paint thinner.

So, about $255 on consumables with a full gallon of 383 carc green leftover.

I had the paint sprayer, pressure washer and angle grinder. If you don't have the paint sprayer and would like to save countless hours, for $100 I cannot recommend this one highly enough:

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-518080...QI48/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337644290&sr=8-1

Mikey

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Mikey,
If you are going to thin that Behr paint you need to use warm water. The solvents you tried will make it gum up like you found out.

mikey

Hey Mikey,
If you are going to thin that Behr paint you need to use warm water. The solvents you tried will make it gum up like you found out.
Thanks. I read the can but it stated nothing about thinning. I tried what I had but in the end it came out fine without thinning. That being said, I appreciate the warm water advice for future reference.

Mikey

SPCWarning

Cure time

I'll say it again, let the paint cure 3 weeks before getting it wet.
Thanks Gunfreak, I read your posts before, and after spraying the camo on Butterbean I left it parked in the shop for 3 wks while I was at work. I believe with the Floetrol it's best to let it cure anyway. It's been rained on twice since I drove it outta the shop, and the paint is hard as concrete! No fade, no problems. I'm really pleased with the outcome. ( I have about a half gallon of each color if there's ever a problem):)

Welder Sam

Here is some information on my own Behr experience....

At first we were going to attempt to tackle the task of paint with some Rapco 686 Substitute rattle cans. In the end, it didnt take too well to the CARC, so we abandoned that and went the Behr/Roller route.

- Side note: Later found that the Rapco cans love a little base layer of Rusty Metal Primer, and a few light coats. The interior dash/windshield assembly was all Rapco.

We started with grinding away all the crud on the underside, and applied Rust Reformer, Rusty Metal Primer, and Rustoleum Flat Black (which isnt all that flat, but I'm not a purist).

For the interior Floor, I used Rustoleum Truck Bed Spray. While it probably isnt great for a truck bed, it is awesome on the floor. A nice, semi-rough texture.

For the exterior, I took a sample of the Rapco 686 to Home Depot for sampling, and the match was a dead ringer! In fact I went back over a few tough to reach parts and hit it with the Rapco - you cannot even tell. The bulk was done with 4" rollers and a small brush. The bed and side racks were tackled with a 9" roller.

We took the idea a few others have regarding a layer of paint, then sand, and more paint in the bed. Came out awesome, as a great (read: CHEAP) alternative to Rhino Lining.

In all, plan on 2 weekends (if you go non stop). Here is a review of materials:
- 4 Cans Rust Reformer
- 6 Cans Rusty Metal Primer
- 3 Cans Rapco Rattlers
- 12 Cans Flat Black
- 1 Can Rustoleum BBQ Paint (for exhaust)
- 3 Cans Behr Premium Plus Exterior
- 1 Can VHT Black Vinyl Dye for steering wheel/switch box
- Will later be using more to finish the cab cover (tried an "alternative" but it didnt take at all... VHT stuck right to it!)

Again, not a purist, but a HUGE improvement as you can see from the before/after!

Thanks to those who started this trend.

sir, can you post a picture of the behr can lid please? this way, others can get the right color. thank you

lindyp38

I decided to keep this former USAF M101A2 to keep my temper tent in. First added a jack landing leg, flipped rear lights and added a tailgate off another trailer that had delcinlator decals. It need paint so down to HD for some Behr carc 383. No power at the barn so ran a Wagner airless with a deep cycle battery and 200 watt inverter. First pic are the before. Just noticed I left a Pringles lid in the reflector.
Also Behr changed the names of their clrnt!!! If your HD has a old good paint guy he will know what to change them to, if not here is my new mix for 383 green carc. RAYZER's is the 2nd one
ill be getting a gallon today...thanks

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Had some Behr left over so got my former See Bee TFK painted up for this upcoming weekend. This is the first time I have used it on vinyl so will see how it holds up. 1st picture is from 3 years ago when I got it.
Crap! just noticed I forgot to paint the inside of the spare tire mount.

Attachments

Last edited:

box 5 diesel

The deuce with some before and after pics using Behr paint.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks