• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you are safe. This Behr may be a water based paint, but it's the toughest most durable latex I have encountered. Most interior latex can be washed out of clothes once dried. This stuff can't. It's tough. So, I say, paint away with anything you have. I'd be very surprised to see any issues with any kind of paint over a properly dried, (and cured!) Behr paint job.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Painted my m105 to match truck.
Looks good!

About how much paint did it take to paint that trailer?
(Did you do the underside too?))

In Uncle Sam's motor pool (particularly during the Viet Nam era, would the wheels be BLACK or the same OD GREEN as the trailer body?
(I realize that once in the field, color-matching was a low priority and that what fit got bolted on. It's just a curiosity question.)

THANKS !

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I only painted the outside of trailer with leftover paint from truck, plan on doing a few things inside trailer before painting inside. I liked the look of the black wheels and trying to keep it military themed but not exact.

Another Ahab

I'm rusty on my paint skills; but the way I remember it, oil floats on water:

- So you can apply an alkyd or oil-based paint over an older latex paint surface.

- But applying latex paint over older oil-based paint surfaces is inviting trouble.

I have absolutely no credentials to back this up, other than my first summer job out of high school was starting a residential painting business with two other buddies of mine. :roll::mrgreen:

Surprised myself, what I remember is backed up (by somebody who might know):

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just started painting an 1101 trailer. Got half of it painted, and took a break. It started raining 90 minutes after I quit. It's rained for 2 days now, with more coming.

So, we will see the effects of rain on a fresh, barely dried coat of Behr pretty soon. I looked at it between showers and everything seems to be just fine.

Its green paint over tan CARC so, it should be easy to see streaks or discoloration.

IMG_6762.jpgIMG_6759.jpg

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow. I would have tarped it. How hard has it rained, wind, etc? I'd plan a second coat.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly? It was too wet to tarp. It had dried, but not cured. It was still in that soft stage that isn't scuff resistant.

Being the highly curious type, I just figured, worst case, I repaint the whole thing.

I really think it will be just fine. I couldn't see any damage at all after the first day. I'll report back if the sun ever comes out again.

Another Ahab

Honestly? It was too wet to tarp. It had dried, but not cured. It was still in that soft stage that isn't scuff resistant.

Being the highly curious type, I just figured, worst case, I repaint the whole thing.

I really think it will be just fine. I couldn't see any damage at all after the first day. I'll report back if the sun ever comes out again.
It should be an interesting experiment. I admire your guts. This will be fun to check out.

By the way, if the sun DOESN'T come out and you approach 40-days, I suggest you Google:

- "Ark: How to Build One"

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I decided to spiff up the M998 before cold weather really sets in. This is done with Behr Premium Marquee in Desert Tan, with Rustoleum low-gloss oil-based implement paint on the underside and brush guard.

cwc M998 right front.jpgcwc M998 left rear.jpgcwc M998 left front.jpgcwc M998 interior.jpg

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After a few days of rain, I can not see any streaks or marks or discoloration. Once this stuff dries apparently, it's pretty water resistant.

I have not painted the rest of the trailer yet, so I guess the prof will stand out on any color difference between the parts I painted first and the parts that remain.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, I absolutely love the 1101/2's. I think they are just sexy as ****. So I grabbed a couple with the intent of turning one into an adventure trailer with a 24v DC to AC inverter, 2 additional group 27 batteries for 12v power and a solar panel or three.

I painted my trailer in three phases (time constraints kept me from working very long) Each and every time, it rained immeditely after. Anywhere from 30 min to an hour later. And it rained for a good while each time.

First time, there was no damage at all. Looked great. Second time I did have some streaking, but, I had watered down the paint a decent amount to get it to run through my gun (used Behr Marquee which is thicker) and It was also cold that day so there wasn't much time for it to dry. Third time I did the black paint and it rained 30 min later. No issues.

So, I will go back and touch up here and there where there were streaks in the green. But, I think it looks great. It was tan when I got it. Now it's my own special blend of green! (Super secret formula that I will not share with anyone, unless you ask me to!)

IMG_7022.jpgIMG_7023.jpgIMG_7029.jpgIMG_7033.jpgIMG_7034.jpgIMG_7035.jpgIMG_7037.jpgIMG_7039.jpg

I used 3M undercoating in the wheel well, at $50 a 6 pack, or $9 each, (2 cans used, total) it's the best $ I spent on the repaint. It really looks sharp. Takes 1 can per side.

IMG_7046.jpg

Word of caution on this stuff. One, it's got a powerful odor. Use outdoors and use a paint respirator if you have one or if you like. Two, be careful on how much you have left. The can is unusually heavy, leading you to believe that you have 1/3 of a can when in fact it's about empty! Do the hard to reach parts first! And the easy (level can) parts last.

There is plenty in one can to do one wheel well, but he judicious in it's application.

Attachments

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks really nice Wendell! Yes they are nice trailers.

Did you consider the Behr flat black made from the FS number?

randygk

After having the Behr paint job for 3 months, i noticed white streaks mostly in the flat black areas and only under horizontal surfaces. All on the sides of the bed and tailgate, none on the cab or hood tops or sides. Washed the truck for the Christmas Parade and I had to use a little Bon-Ami fine cleanser to remove the streaks. They appeared after heavy dew laden nights, not rain. Wondering if something in air, acid dew, ?IMG_3091.jpg

Another Ahab

Washed the truck for the Christmas Parade and I had to use a little Bon-Ami fine cleanser to remove the streaks. They appeared after heavy dew laden nights, not rain. Wondering if something in air, acid dew, ?
Sounds like a new soft drink, for the old Haight-Ashbury crowd. :naner::mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks