• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

3rdmdqm

Bump! Any photos of Behr semi gloss or satin on a military vehicle? Anyone have Application experience?
I am doing a complete frame off restoration with Behr Marquee exterior semigloss 24087 color match. It is a perfect match to original color we found while disassembling parts with original color that had never been touched by sunlight and matched it. Here are a few of the axles just shot. This paint is soft and takes a long time to cure. If you don’t leave it out in the sunlight to bake and cure it will stay soft and tacky for a very very long time. However after shooting frame and letting it sit in elements it seems ok. The ease of cleanup, availability and easy touch up are the pros. The cons are paint is soft, cure time, when it gets dinged it goes down to the primer and or peels like latex does, doesn’t chip like oil base. This was sprayed with a Wagner 3500 power sprayer.

Attachments

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am doing a complete frame off restoration with Behr Marquee exterior semigloss 24087 color match. It is a perfect match to original color we found while disassembling parts with original color that had never been touched by sunlight and matched it. Here are a few of the axles just shot. This paint is soft and takes a long time to cure. If you don’t leave it out in the sunlight to bake and cure it will stay soft and tacky for a very very long time. However after shooting frame and letting it sit in elements it seems ok. The ease of cleanup, availability and easy touch up are the pros. The cons are paint is soft, cure time, when it gets dinged it goes down to the primer and or peels like latex does, doesn’t chip like oil base. This was sprayed with a Wagner 3500 power sprayer.
Are you happy with it or not ?

I think the gloss is harder to deal with than the flat

3rdmdqm

Are you happy with it or not ?

I think the gloss is harder to deal with than the flat
The jury is still out on regarding if I would ever use it again. The only thing I really dislike about it is how soft the paint is until it actually sits out in the sun for a while. It feels tackey and leaves fingerprints and impressions, even after being painted for over 8 weeks and kept inside. Once exposed to sunlight it hardens up. And DO NOT set it on anything porous like cardboard or wood. No matter how long you let it sit, the cardboard and wood will stick to it and embed itself into the paint. I had to sit all painted parts on plastic to avoid that. Plus, if you paint the bolts and put a wrench on it, the paint peels off like elastic on the edges. Having said all that, the ease of use regarding application and cleanup is a definite plus, you can spray it un-thinned with the sprayer I'm using so no issues there, and the ability to just go to Home Depot and get more paint for touch ups cheap is nice (although nothing is cheap anymore). It also skins over quickly and within an hour of applying if it rains it's not an issue. Plus, rust streaks from bolts and springs etc that have leaked out onto the finish have pretty much wiped/washed right off. I'll post the finished product photos when done. It will look nice, the color is great, and the paint is exterior and made to last with minimal fading.

Finnegan1008

The jury is still out on regarding if I would ever use it again. The only thing I really dislike about it is how soft the paint is until it actually sits out in the sun for a while. It feels tackey and leaves fingerprints and impressions, even after being painted for over 8 weeks and kept inside. Once exposed to sunlight it hardens up. And DO NOT set it on anything porous like cardboard or wood. No matter how long you let it sit, the cardboard and wood will stick to it and embed itself into the paint. I had to sit all painted parts on plastic to avoid that. Plus, if you paint the bolts and put a wrench on it, the paint peels off like elastic on the edges. Having said all that, the ease of use regarding application and cleanup is a definite plus, you can spray it un-thinned with the sprayer I'm using so no issues there, and the ability to just go to Home Depot and get more paint for touch ups cheap is nice (although nothing is cheap anymore). It also skins over quickly and within an hour of applying if it rains it's not an issue. Plus, rust streaks from bolts and springs etc that have leaked out onto the finish have pretty much wiped/washed right off. I'll post the finished product photos when done. It will look nice, the color is great, and the paint is exterior and made to last with minimal fading.
This sounds like a similar experience I had with Gillespie CARC substitute. These paints don’t use a catalyst and there for need to fully air cure and bake out. Once they are fully cured they are durable but it takes some hot summer weeks.

Only way to avoid this is to use a proper car paint with a hardener and a flattening agent to take the shine off. Much more complicated, toxic, equipment intensive and difficult to apply for the DIY’er

Terra1936

30 days cure is normal.