• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbing my M931 Suggestions, Advice, Recommendations for a trailer bed installation??

joesco

The birth of Mr. Zeus - Bob Build Thread - Phil's Work is outstanding!

Well guys over the next couple weeks, Phil and I will be planning the bob on my M931. I am going to swap my G177's for his Michelin 14 Super Singles. My only option at the moment, unless I can find a cargo bed and cut it down is to install a M105A1 trailer bed, five to choice from. We are planning an air bag suspension.

After a Google and forum search, I haven't found many threads on the trailer bed install. My question for the masses who have done many bob-jobs with these 5 tons are

(1) Can I get away with not cutting the frame when installed the trailer bed?

(2) Is it wise to remove the spare tire assembly and tool boxes, etc and mount the trailer bed close to the back of cab?

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will use this new thread as the build thread as we move along with the project. Thanks very much!

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I believe that SETOYOTA used a M35 bed on a standard length frame to bob a truck he once owned.

joesco

Thanks, your mod looks great! For what I read of your thread, you cut your frame and welded it back to make the bed fit. At point did you make the cut in the frame. At the end or in the middle. How does it handle with tandem axle and shorter wheelbase? Thanks for the help!

Here is what I did with my M932a1

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?82926-M932A1-with-shorter-drop-side-deuce-bed

There are a couple of others that have done a slightly different approach. Be patient with the search function and keep trying. You'll find most the info you need.

joesco

Matt,
My buddy that bought the M931A1 wants to do a tire swap (equal value) for his Michelin's Super Singles for my 177's. But he if has a change of heart, I will give you call. He has a brand new spare and 6 1400's with about 80% tread, in great shape. Mine are brand new. Air-ride seat, YES!!! Could you PM a price. Thanks Matt, will need to make a visit soon!!!!

I will take those G177 in on trade for new 1400's too.

Tornadogt

Why bob it??? the trucks are all ready short....
Build thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...31A2-quot-Miss-Ava-Lynn-quot-Mods-and-Repairs

The bobbers are growing on me but I think after looking at several builds to do a bobber it is much better to use a M923 cargo truck. The first rear axle is already in the right place just swap springs and drop off the rear axle, shorten frame and bed, Then move bed to back of cab.... Done also with the Cargo truck you already have the bed..

Similar to what I am saying but with a 2 1/2 ton bed Photo Attached. (not one of trucks my but I like the dimensions)http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=402088&d=1342397299&thumb=1

Last edited:

joesco

Looks very brute!!! Thanks, just want a more over-road function rig and prefer a single axle setup. Did this with my M35A1 and it drove almost better than my Wrangler. I just found a deuce bed (take-off) in NH. Do you guys that this bed (cut down) will work?

Why bob it??? the trucks are all ready short....
Build thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...31A2-quot-Miss-Ava-Lynn-quot-Mods-and-Repairs

The bobbers are growing on me but I think after looking at several builds to do a bobber it is much better to use a M923 cargo truck. The first rear axle is already in the right place just swap springs and drop off the rear axle, shorten frame and bed, Then move bed to back of cab.... Done also with the Cargo truck you already have the bed..

Similar to what I am saying but with a 2 1/2 ton bed Photo Attached. (not one of trucks my but I like the dimensions)http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=402088&d=1342397299&thumb=1

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks, but I did search on his member ID and did not find anything.
I don't believe that he did a build thread on it. Actually thinking it through now, I think it was a M818 chassis that he bobbed. I know he had it on ebay a few years back.

350TacoZilla

I'm actually in middle of bobbing a 923, and did a few photo shops of different wheel bases to get rough idea of look. I think on your 931 you could leave frame full length, get a 923 driveshaft to push axle back and be set, sliding bed forward or not is really up to you on looks.
M931 wheelbase-IMG_20120208_164342 - Copy.jpgm923 wheelbase-ViewIMG_0005.jpg johns custom WB and 105923 bobber 005.jpg

joesco

I found a take-off deuce bed 3 miles from my house. I am going over tomorrow morning to have a look at it. If the price is right and it is good shape, would you guys say that I could cut-down that bed to size with cutting the frame of the M931, leaving the spare, toolboxes in place?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks