• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering a M927 or M928 to live in...

red

Unless you get an s280 type box, nothing pre-made will fit inside the upright bedsides.
As stated earlier. The other truck/trailer shelters and shipping containers are too wide to fit between the bed sides. You must lower/remove the bed sides.

71DeuceAK

S280 or build my own is I guess maybe where it's at then. Ideas for lightweight but strong materials? I'd think aluminum but it'd be just a giant heat sink in this climate. Maybe fiberglass? Anyone try that?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The conductivities of a certain percentage of materials aren't the big problem in your climate, it's thermal bridging across/through your insulation. For example, typical lower 48 construction, plywood directly against a stud, which directly contacts drywall. This wall could be filled with closed cell poly for around r25, but your wood, stud, drywall portions only have an R vale of around 5. With this and -50f, will make even plywood and drywall excellent heat syncs when bridged through pine studs. Even the bridging through fasteners should be taken into account in an arctic climate.

Information on construction methods to avoid thermal bridging should be very easy find in your neck of the woods

Last edited:

71DeuceAK

Yeah, I knew that the studs had a lesser R-value, I knew someone who built with 2X4 studs staggered to avoid that. I'll have to bug the arctic engineering department this spring. I've also lived very hot places too, where I grew up in CA single pane aluminum frame slider windows used to be the norm in typical 50s-80s construction, now of course people have usually replaced with double pane vinyl windows.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe that would fit! Would an M934 box fit in the bed of a 927, so as to be lift-out-so-I-have-a-cargo-truck-able?
No. The M927 and M934 are same frame/chassis.... One has a box and one has a bed. The box would extend past the bed, and it'd be too wide. The box itself is ~10k lbs...

If you want a well insulated space, go with the S280, if you want a hair larger, go with the M109 box.. The M109 box however has multiple windows and less insulation... The S280 is called a 'shelter' for a reason... and even with such harsh temperatures, a small heater should keep it warm...

Nomadic

Breaking bad was a **** of a TV show. But now I when I see a similar RV in the desert, I fight the urge to profile. Its amazing how much influence Hollywood has on our perception in life. I live in the country and I don't give a [blank] what people think. I care how I'm treated and how our country (our land) is treated. It is those of us who profile people using memories from Shining or Breaking bad that have a problem :D

The 5-ton is going to be an awesome platform to camp in the country with. I like this thread and the ideas and suggestions people have submitted. If you think about it, there is no other vehicle that can do better for the usage aside from the living quarters. You got yer free and detailed service manuals (non-proprietary), reliability, durability, parts availability (new Chevys they only make parts for 10 years now), *KISS engineering, over engineering, simplicity, an amazing community, high value and functional.

*keep it simple, stupid.

71DeuceAK

Agreed, they're just plain amazing trucks, for pretty much everything! I'm glad this thread is now 7 pages long and counting for that reason. I love everything about these trucks: Their simplicity, how most things are overbuilt and the rest is just simple, along with their history, for me I feel like I owe it to the trucks that helped defend our country and saves lives to own one and keep it on the road and functional. And yeah, they were mass produced, so they're still really common, I literally found my M939 -10 operator's manual on Amazon kind of common! Easy to drive for being such a big heavy beast with the auto trans and power steering, so pretty much anybody can drive one, and they just look neat, to boot! And I'd happily daily drive even an M927/M928.

71DeuceAK

Found a M927A2 at auction whose starting bid is, believe it or not, 2400 bucks. I probably won't win it (limited budget) but if I do I might have the truck base to build from. Kinda excited, but scared. LOL.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found a M927A2 at auction whose starting bid is, believe it or not, 2400 bucks. I probably won't win it (limited budget) but if I do I might have the truck base to build from. Kinda excited, but scared. LOL.

If it's a decent auction, expect it to go higher than 8K..... probably more... they're pretty rare... if everything is good, I'd venture to say 11-13k.....

71DeuceAK

That's very possible! I have my limit set on how much I'm willing to bid but if not I know where another, nice, redone, gone-through one from a fellow Steel Soldiers member is that's been offered to me, though that one is worth much more of course so it may be awhile.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I learned this lesson the hard way. I bought a basket case for my first MV because it was in my price range and I was bloody desperate to park a green machine in my garage. If I would've had a couple ounces of patience and saved another $3000, I could have bought the other (MUCH NICER) jeep that the guy had for sale. Save your pennies and buy the redone truck first. It may cost you more up front, but it will be cheaper and much less aggravation in the long run. Having a truck that is road ready will allow you to learn about it without fighting to get it road ready.
This is just my 2cents + tax. :)

71DeuceAK

So...I had an even crazier idea. What if I lived in one of these long term, tiny home style? As long as I was single and didn't have kids I'd probably save a ton in terms of mortgage or rent payments over the course of a good chunk of my lifetime...which means...more money for M939s!

someoldmoose

A brother in the making ? :naner: Check out my other thread - next new guy. Just started the journey. M820 retirement home. "Exit Strategy"

I will also pass on to check out posts by Rayzer (sorry, not good with dropping links yet). His M146 trailer conversion is beautiful.

Last edited:

71DeuceAK

Yeah, I saw that, welcome to the madness! Living in it helps justify owning one of these fine trucks, and I just plain wanted a 927 or a 928, they're kinda rare too.

Nomadic

A brother in the making ? :naner: Check out my other thread - next new guy. Just started the journey. M820 retirement home. "Exit Strategy"

I will also pass on to check out posts by Rayzer (sorry, not good with dropping links yet). His M146 trailer conversion is beautiful.
I didn't see your thread about living in one of these from your profile. Link to thread?

Csm Davis

No. The M927 and M934 are same frame/chassis.... One has a box and one has a bed. The box would extend past the bed, and it'd be too wide. The box itself is ~10k lbs...
No they are not the same the 934 frame is shorter by 18" than a 927.
71DeuceAk have you thought about a tractor version to get you what you want? Not just a 931 but a 923 or 927 setup as a tractor even. I like being able to drop the house or other trailer and use the truck still. I am building a XLWB 931A2 with 4 door cab and a 38' live in trailer in a XM971 trailer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

71DeuceAK

CsmDavis, there's an idea! Part of my thing is that I want a M927 or M928, and it want stock/unmodified, box built inside the existing bed. If I did that I'd get an M931 or M932 and tow, an M146 perhaps? That'd be my next option.

Part of me wants to do it in the 927 or 928 so I don't need the certification to tow a trailer, means more licensing. Granted, I'm trying to take my road test on Monday for my "normal" license still, I grew up on an island with no cars for my high school years so I'm 19 and just now doing driver's ed in a rice burner.

It's also very much possible to live in the bed of an M923 or M925, I've seen others' conversions. There's an M925A1 on my local Craigslist but I don't have the 25,000 the seller wants. I'd buy it if money grew on trees but since it doesn't...yeah, I can't.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks