• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Help in/near Central Louisiana

a175

OK... Finally got off that wheel!!!! No BFH, no chisels. Just patience, grease, and some good jerking (that's what she said?).
Here's some pics of what I've got now. Anything look notsogood? There's a chip/dent looking thing in what I guess is the rotor. Not sure how bad that is. Still not sure what all I need other than a new hub/bearings. That's not too easy to find locally.

Attachments

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you got the rotor off in one piece. If it were me, go ahead and get a rotor and hub together. Yes you can change out just the rotor, but why not just get a new kit.

BTW, do you know who has the 105's on the East side of 171 up you way? Kinda curious, I work in Bossier on my time off from offshore and passed 3 of them sitting all lined up and purdy.

a175

OK..... here's what I'm stuck with now. Can't get the rest of the hub/rotor off. I rented the kit from Advance, but still can't get that spindle/nut thingy to budge. I put a torque wrench to it... nothing. STOOD on the torque wrench... nothing. BOUNCED on the torque wrench (I'm about 230 pounds)... broke the torque wrench. Used a ball peen hammer to knock the torque wrench's nub-deal out of the socket, and quit for the day. I guess tomorrow I'll get another torque wrench and a breaker bar. Any ideas? I can't see anything blocking the nut(# 63 or 64 i guess according to the dana exploded view).

Attachments

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK..... here's what I'm stuck with now. Can't get the rest of the hub/rotor off. I rented the kit from Advance, but still can't get that spindle/nut thingy to budge. I put a torque wrench to it... nothing. STOOD on the torque wrench... nothing. BOUNCED on the torque wrench (I'm about 230 pounds)... broke the torque wrench. Used a ball peen hammer to knock the torque wrench's nub-deal out of the socket, and quit for the day. I guess tomorrow I'll get another torque wrench and a breaker bar. Any ideas? I can't see anything blocking the nut(# 63 or 64 i guess according to the dana exploded view).
I haven't been in one of these in years and the exploded view did not jog memories, might want to give Tim or Nif a call. Grab a breaker bar with a pipe for leverage, torque wrenches get expensive!

Oh, the trailers are on the West side:cookoo:....guess thats why they call me 'wrongway':shock:.

a175

Interesting development... this may be my problem.
I went ahead and began disassembling the passenger side hub, and noticed that there was another, smaller nut in front of the big nut I'm not able to get off from the driver side.
So, I went and checked the driver side (didn't notice it before) and I think I see it. It appears to be under/inside the big nut. WTF?

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you read the disassembly instructions listed in the -20 TM? Rotor and Wheel bearing maintenance The TM has pics as well as step by step instructions.

Last edited:

bushhawg73

Ok, correct me if I am wrong but you have a M1008 with the Dana 60 front end. If so there should be two nuts and a washer that are threaded onto the spindle. Both of the nuts should be removed with a 4 prong axle nut socket. They can be really tight. To disassemble you would need to remove the outer nut, if you press on the ratchet head with your knee while someone else pulls on the ratchet handle this will help keep the 4 prong socket in place. Once the outer nut is removed there is a washer that has lots of small holes in it. It also has a tab on the inside that slides in a grove on the spindle. The small holes line up with a small pin that is located on the inner most nut. Remove the washer with holes and tab and then remove the inner nut with the 4 prong socket. Once the two nuts and washer are out of the way the entire hub / rotor assembly should slide off the spindle. Watch yourself, the hub is pretty heavy. I hope this helps.

a175

Well, breaker bar and a cheater pipe got the outer ring off, breaking the ring in the process. Now that I've gotten the inner ring to where the outer ring was stuck, it's starting to dig in as well. I've noticed (tried to get good angle) that the rings/nuts aren't centered up on the spindle. It's offset by a few degrees. Also, in trying to remove the inner ring, one of the notches sheared off (tried to get a pic of that, too). So, the threads are definitely not reversed, but they might be pretty jacked up.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like your spindle was damaged.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes i am thinking that its damaged as well. wont know till you get it all apart. sorry your having such a hard time :p

a175

Well, I got it off. Here's some pics of the spindle, pretty sure it needs replaced. Nefarious, this ought to look real familiar to you... bearing chunks everywhere. The pic with the nut, that's where a chunk popped off as I was trying to remove it. Glad I was wearing gloves when that breaker bar/cheater pipe/socket setup slipped.

Attachments

a175

Hats off to Nefarious and timntrucks for their patience and phone calls, and to the forum for awesomeness. This ain't over yet, but at least I'm at a good point where it's apart.
[thumbzup]

niferous

Glad the cheated pipe worked. I got a new spindle for mine and it was $100 shipped but I have an M1009. Not sure if yours will cost more or not. I might have been able to re-use mine but my feeling was why risk it?

niferous

Hats off to Nefarious and timntrucks for their patience and phone calls, and to the forum for awesomeness. This ain't over yet, but at least I'm at a good point where it's apart.
[thumbzup]
Nefarious
Ne·far·i·ous/niˈfe(ə)rēəs/
Adjective: (of an action or activity) Wicked or criminal: "the nefarious activities of the organized-crime syndicates".**More*»

Niferous
Nif•er•ous
My nickname. Means nothing in particular.
:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks