• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Help in/near Central Louisiana

a175

Here's where I stopped. Took off the upper and lower bolts on what I believe is called the steering knuckle. I have new ball joints, so I'd like to replace them, but can't figure out how to get the old ones out. Checked TM's all the way to 20, 20p, 34, and 34p and still out of luck. Myabe I'm missing it.

Attachments

a175

Here's the parts I took off today. Passenger front spindle seems to be in great shape. Lucky me! There is an awful lot of rust everywhere though, and I guess that's to be expected. I was surprised to see rust INSIDE the axle though.
Lesson learned the hard way...
The mantra is if it's rubber, replace it. My only excuse was lack of money and time. Now I'm out of more money and time than I have. I'm neither a mechanic nor an engineer, but looking at everything all the rubber seals were shot. My theory is that when the seals went bad, the grease got dirty and/or leaked out. The only think left lubricating metal-to-metal was crud, leading to friction, heat, and parts failure.
It's been said a million times, and it still didn't sink in to me until it was too late. Let this be a lesson to any other newcomers getting into the CUCV game. Don't repeat my screw up.
Operator error sucks- there's nobody to point the finger at except for yourself.

Attachments

a175

Lower King Pin Bearing Cap help...

The little bastard won't come off! I can't get a screwdriver or chisel in between it and the knuckle so I can start prying. Any suggestions?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks