• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No description available.
No description available.

Owner from Parkesburg PA contacted me and needs a cab. Anyone?
A little rubbing compound...
Those scratches will buff right out!

Seems like somebody was looking to buy the back "top" for one of these trucks just about a week ago.

I guess the real question is was the owner having a good time all the way up to just a few minutes before this happened?

cucvrus

1625276391768.png
This is what the tractor looks like when you need to change the starter. It is all back together and back over at the farm. That little 2 cylinder water cooled engine is well designed. It took me about 4 hours with the help of my Wife. Runs like new again. All this work because a starter bolt came loose and was rattling in the back of the flywheel. This the first time in my life that I ever used a 23 MM socket. I always used a 24MM and this time I thought it seemed a bit loose. I never seen a 23MM nut before and I worked on many things. DSCF7787.JPG This is the bolt that was rattling around behind the flywheel.DSCF7788.JPG It could never have done any harm but it was getting worn and ground away and the metal shavings were getting stuck to the magnet on the flywheel. It is all back together and I am thankful for that. No use trying to cut corners. Do it right the first time and never look back. BE Safe. Take Care.

cucvrus

A little rubbing compound...
Those scratches will buff right out!

Seems like somebody was looking to buy the back "top" for one of these trucks just about a week ago.

I guess the real question is was the owner having a good time all the way up to just a few minutes before this happened?
I advised the owner that he should scrap that vehicle. It has frame damage and all. Not worth fixing at this point. Basically it is wasted. Parts vehicles are needed at all times.

cucvrus

DSCF7782.JPG
After posting these carnage pictures I was contacted by a Man that wants to buy the remains of the body tub as it. Bare bones tub. He clams the floors and rear riser area are still useable and would like to salvage the parts from this tub. Never would I have thought parts were that hard to find. I am glad I am on my final 2 chapters in this saga of CUCV's. When I close the book I will be able to assist and advise. He was coming for the pick up cab but decided that he needs more M1009 lower body parts. So after today I hope to have a bare frame and the rest will be history in the making. Have a Great Day and enjoy the long holiday weekend.

cucvrus

Progress comes in many shapes and forms. I had great progress today. I was able to sell a lot of parts with a simple on line ad that I had square body parts for sale. I had a buyer for an old M1009 body shell. What is scrap to some is gold to others. 2 Young men came by and wanted the M1028 cab and M1009 1625336197619.png
body tub remains. I told them it will require a bit of work. they were game. I have been harvesting sections of this M1009 the past 20 years. 1625336359516.png
1625336412125.png
Members here have bought parts from this CUCV. It just keeps on giving. A fitting picture for the 4th of July weekend. A very patriotic send off of the remains. 1625336513560.png
M1009 Body remains loaded. 1625336575952.png
I am not sure what to say. Looks like scrap to me. They claimed they could harvest lots of floor and mounts from the remains. I guess it's possible. Look at the bright side. I have a nice clean frame again. Sold the other M1009 frame on Thursday.1625336776886.png1625336713360.png
1625336790964.pngI have the 3 engines loaded on the trailer and must harvest a few parts off them and then it is scrap metal time. I just can't save everything. Happy 4th of July and enjoy family and friends or what ever it is you enjoy. I still have fun and more work outside. Be Safe.

cucvrus

I feel somewhat shamed. I spent 10 hours getting a fuel tank out of an M1009. I removed the class 3 hitch, fuel tank skid plate, DSCF7800.JPGfuel tank,DSCF7802.JPG DSCF7801.JPG DSCF7803.JPG fuel tank sending unit DSCF7805.JPG DSCF7806.JPG and cleaned and installed a used one from the M1009 I had in my field for 20 years. I knew it worked when I parked it there and it was well preserved in fuel. Of course the first rule is when you are taking your vehicle to have the fuel tank removed or worked on is to fill it up to the top. DSCF7808.JPG I am not an electrical guy. I know enough to keep me out of trouble. I went to the mid ship connection before I even started removing the old sending unit and hooked up the donor unit. The current reading on the gauge was at 3 o'clock way past full. I hooked up the donor gauge and turned on the key. the float was hanging down. The gauge read empty. I moved the float up and the gauge went to full. Test complete. I did the entire job start to finish. Long day. DSCF7804.JPGDSCF7809.JPG I used a spare parts fuel tank and pumped the fuel into that tank to ease the reassembly. I replaced all the hoses and the clamps. I always do. Take Care.

Attachments

cucvrus

I swapped out the old blackened fuel sock for new one. DSCF7811.JPG I cleaned up the donor sending unit. Original GM and not available anymore. DSCF7812.JPG I polished the ground DSCF7813.JPGDSCF7814.JPGand used grease on all the connections. I put all the parts back together and replenished the fuel tank. I spilled some fuel taking the tank out so the area smelled really good and it kept the dust down and misquotes away all day. My Wife was a good helper and keep me feed and watered. Take care that is another dirty filthy job done in the dirt. Been doing it the hard way all my life. Still gets it done slow and steady. Pay attention to detail and only fix what's broken. Take Care. Back to the regular job tomorrow. This is irregular work duties. You gotta like it or don't do it. Be Safe. Oh and I did install a new start washer and cleaned and greased the grounding area. I done that first before I even started the disassembling. I heard the old sending unit reacting to my tightening and loosening of the ground but it never changed the reading on the cluster gauge.

ssdvc

Rick, nice work (and a lot of it) . When I pick her back up, you'll need to show me how you got that Class 3 out of the way. I couldn't figure it out. Good work takes time and I am not in a hurry.

cucvrus

I used 2 3/4" wrenches and zip tied them in place in the C channel of the frame on top of the bolts. I used an impact to tighten the nuts from the bottom side and then cut the zip ties and removed the wrenches with a magnet and a wire I had attached to the wrenches. Sometimes you got to think long and hard. It worked. I know it had carriage bolts in it from new but I wanted 4 grade 8 bolts holding that hitch up in place. I stuck with my original design because it worked on many other M1009's in the past. Nice thing about that class 3 hitch is it utilizes the factory holes in the frame and is 1 piece. I saved everyone I find in the YOUPULLIT. Thanks for the work. I have lots of it but variety, yard work, and weather change the menu daily. Take Care. The rear gate and glass are next on the schedule.

cucvrus

DSCF7815.JPG I decided I would salvage a few more parts from the scrap 6.2 engines. I wasn't going to but they might be needed by someone and they are hard to find original parts. DSCF7816.JPG I tried beating the harmonic balancer loose and pried on the outer ring it didn't budge. I saved 2 of the 3 balancers the one I beat on and pried I discarded. DSCF7817.JPG I saved 2 of the 3 inner tin covers. When removing the front timing cover keep in mind there is a bolt under the tin inner gear cover. DSCF7818.JPG DSCF7819.JPG I tucked the engines upside down and prepared them for scrapping and the trip to the scrapper. I used my little Honda hauler to move the tools and parts. It was 98* and I wanted to get something done. DSCF7820.JPG That job is done. The 4 speed transmission is going to scrap. I did discover that the B/U lamp switch on the transmission is the same switch that the 208 transfer case uses for the 4WD light sending switch. I converted that 1984 C30 truck to 4WD from the donor parts of a wrecked M1031. That was 20 years ago. I don't want to get into anymore of them projects. Have a Great Day and stay cool. Rain has interrupted my work for the day. All is well Thursday is Family night. Be Safe.

cucvrus

1626615973597.png
With the rain, heat and humidity I spent a few hours designing and building a rack for my CUCV bumpers. This is the 2nd floor of my barn. I also used some 5 ton folding troop seat brackets to make a 16 ft shelf above on the main horizonal beam so I could get the vinyl siding off the floor. That hole in the floor is for my cat to get in and out. He uses a ladder to patrol the barn. One day at a time. Yesterday was a 3 sets of clothing day. Take Care and Be Safe.
The 2 x 4 pine were found along the road after a shed roof was replaced. It said FREE and that was the right price. It was like finding a couple hundred dollars along the road. I loaded them all the good bad and ugly. The nails were still in them. I squared the ends and pulled the nails that required a change of clothing to get done. What I could use for building I stacked on the wood rack in the barn and the rest will be firewood. Win Win. Repurposing at it's best.

Last edited:

cucvrus

It will but it requires a lot of fabrication work. And it will not be as strong as it was on the M1008. There is no way to attach all the braces and cross braces for the pintle hook. The Class 3 receiver on the rear of the M1009 is stronger then the stock Pintle could ever have been.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks