• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

cucvrus

DSCF7899.JPGDSCF7900.JPGThe topic always comes up. I have been using the stock A C Delco 13G glow plugs in my CUCV's for over 26 years. Never anything but these. I lie I did try some Wellman's. Bad Deal. But I just bought these from the GM dealer. Made in Germany. DSCF7901.JPGDSCF7902.JPG DSCF7903.JPGI have the resistors hooked up and all stock circuit card system. Always works for me. I can count on 1 hand the days I couldn't drive my CUCV in 26 years. It almost always started. It was my primary means of transportation for 15 years. Now I drive this dirty truck. DSCF7905.JPG I like my CUCV's but I do like my new truck 10X more. Family is growing and I am aging so it is a comfort thing and much more versatile. Take Care and Be Safe. The grass is all cut for this week.

Attachments

cucvrus

DSCF7908.JPG
I have this fender for at least 25 years. It is painted with CARC 686 TAN. The paint is as thick as pancake batter. The entire truck was painted the same way. I parted it out back in the day because I didn't know any better. But really I hated the paint because of the poor job that was done. It is a genuine GM fender and I think I am going to be using it on my current build. I have the choice between a new import fender fixing a damaged original or using this one. I think it is time to use it . Driver side fenders are hard to come by. I have enough to finish my projects. I will have some new imports and slightly damaged OEM's but I think I will break out the sander on this one. One thing is the paint protected it. Take Care. This is not the fender I wanted to post but I have another project in the works and it will be a cool one I promise. Enjoy the weekend. Make things happen.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 841082
I have this fender for at least 25 years. It is painted with CARC 686 TAN. The paint is as thick as pancake batter. The entire truck was painted the same way. I parted it out back in the day because I didn't know any better. But really I hated the paint because of the poor job that was done. It is a genuine GM fender and I think I am going to be using it on my current build. I have the choice between a new import fender fixing a damaged original or using this one. I think it is time to use it . Driver side fenders are hard to come by. I have enough to finish my projects. I will have some new imports and slightly damaged OEM's but I think I will break out the sander on this one. One thing is the paint protected it. Take Care. This is not the fender I wanted to post but I have another project in the works and it will be a cool one I promise. Enjoy the weekend. Make things happen.
I honestly didn't know that a Chevy of that vintage could be found without a rust hole or fiberglass behind the front tire. Pretty amazing! Just mask up (I know you know that) when you start sanding - but that is definitely some Prime Sheetmetal cucvrus ! Almost too pretty to hang on the truck...

cucvrus

To day I had all good intensions. I started at 0600 AM and put tools away and pulled the Kubota up for service. I am not sure what is going on but I seem to have a swelled hydraulic filter. DSCF7919.JPG DSCF7920.JPGDSCF7921.JPGDSCF7922.JPGI am not sure what is causing that but it was the same way the last time I removed it to change the filter. I use the Kubota UDT2 synthetic hydraulic oil and baby this machine. Well anyway I changed the filters and the engine oil and then I washed the entire tractor. I greased it and put it away. It is mechanical so the question is valid. I was done a bit early and still had some time so I worked on Little Red. Have a Great Day. Nice weather for an outdoor Rock Concert. On my way to the GNR concert in Hershey.DSCF7923.JPGDSCF7924.JPG

cucvrus

I honestly didn't know that a Chevy of that vintage could be found without a rust hole or fiberglass behind the front tire. Pretty amazing! Just mask up (I know you know that) when you start sanding - but that is definitely some Prime Sheetmetal cucvrus ! Almost too pretty to hang on the truck...
Yea I have a few that I stored 25 years ago that just have way to much damage to fix. The structure at the door is all messed up. Guess how? Loaders. Doors, fenders, bedsides were destroyed by stupidity not to mention the undercarriage and driveline carnage that was done. I bought 2 M1009's that were forked thru the brush guards and the forks were tilted back in a failed attempt to lift them. One the fork was thru the front wheel between the spring and frame and bent the frame so hard the bump stop on the right side was against the engine and the starter was broken off. Parts vehicle with 25K on it.

dougco1

To day I had all good intensions. I started at 0600 AM and put tools away and pulled the Kubota up for service. I am not sure what is going on but I seem to have a swelled hydraulic filter. View attachment 841137 View attachment 841138View attachment 841139View attachment 841140I am not sure what is causing that but it was the same way the last time I removed it to change the filter. I use the Kubota UDT2 synthetic hydraulic oil and baby this machine. Well anyway I changed the filters and the engine oil and then I washed the entire tractor. I greased it and put it away. It is mechanical so the question is valid. I was done a bit early and still had some time so I worked on Little Red. Have a Great Day. Nice weather for an outdoor Rock Concert. On my way to the GNR concert in Hershey.View attachment 841141View attachment 841142
You may have water in the system. Hydraulic fluid doesn't expand or compress but water does when it freezes. My Kubota hydraulic fluid always has water in it when I change it. Look for a hidden drain plug lowest point on the underside.

cucvrus

There is no way I have enough water or moisture to bulge the filter. I think the pressure needs adjusted and that requires a gauge and shimming from what I am reading. I will look into it. I did drain a half gallon of that expensive Kubota UDT2 into the drain pan. Clean oil.

LT67

There is no way I have enough water or moisture to bulge the filter. I think the pressure needs adjusted and that requires a gauge and shimming from what I am reading. I will look into it. I did drain a half gallon of that expensive Kubota UDT2 into the drain pan. Clean oil.
I have come to the conclusion that a Kubota is a pain in the....

I'll never buy another one. In due time I'm going to look at getting a J Deere or a Massey to replace the Kubota 3301 I have.

cucvrus

I have come to the conclusion that a Kubota is a pain in the....

Bite your tongue. That behavior is uncalled for. I only speak like that about Dodge/Ram trucks, Iveco's, and Volkswagens. Nothing runs like a deer and nothing stinks like a john. They are all basically the same just a different flavor. Have Fun.

cucvrus

creativity
[ˌkrēāˈtivədē]

NOUN
  1. the use of the imagination or original ideas, especially in the production of an artistic work.
    "firms are keen to encourage creativity"
I was cleaning up the past few weeks and came across some parts that are just not worth saving and beyond repair. I thought about it and came up with a plan. DSCF7927.JPG Anybody see where this is going? DSCF7928.JPG This fender has been in storage the past 20 + years. DSCF7929.JPG DSCF7930.JPG It is very badly damaged and has zero rust.DSCF7931.JPG DSCF7932.JPG I was going to discard it but it can serve another use. Modern Art. DSCF7933.JPG This was just playing around with a few [parts and very little time. I think I am onto something. It will turn out pretty cool. i must get back to work. I also found the crown jewel for the front end. I just finished lunch and have my family here and they are helping me out. Fun times with scrap pieces. I will post my results later. Take Care and Enjoy the nice weather. DSCF7934.JPG
That bottom grille molding is in excellent condition. I have a slightly damaged one I will be using. I saved them parts for a reason. That's not hoarding then.

cucvrus

Today was a very relaxing and playful day. I was able to get an idea of creativity together. I thought about it a long time. I have the front end 95% assembled for my barn assembly building.
DSCF7935.JPG DSCF7936.JPG This set of front bumper braces/brackets came off the decade wrecked M1009 and I found them while cleaning up my barn. Somebody would cry the blues if I offered them these as good useable parts so I will just bang them out on the anvil and put them to use.
DSCF7937.JPG I went a little farther then I planned I scuffed the inner core support and spray painted it with Rustoleum rust inhibitor.
I saved a broken grille another salvageable part that would have brought tears and trouble. I put it to good use. Can't even tell it is broken when it is installed.
DSCF7938.JPG The bezels were in excellent condition and I needed a pair.
Sometimes you need to break out the new stuff even on special projects. Head lamp adjuster screws. All 4 new. DSCF7939.JPG
The hood is in rough condition with various dents and I saved it for a wood skid or something. This is it. I will circular saw the front edge. DSCF7943.JPG
My efforts were cut short by rolling thunder storms. There is always tomorrow. DSCF7940.JPG Not bad for a 1 day of play and scrap parts. I looked around and found the worst front bumper I had and used it. It was 686 desert tan. I quickly sprayed it. I taped the areas off to stencil the bumper ID. I placed a 1995 in the center that is the year I acquired my first CUCV in private ownership. DSCF7941.JPGDSCF7944.JPG
I did not wire any of the lights but it does have a horn and all. I need to get a black screen so the engine compartment has some darkness to it. This would be a cool item for a true CUCV enthusiast. Do you know anyone that fits that description? I know a few. Nice wall hanger for a garage or barn wall. Rained out or I would have completed it. I will need to shorten the frame a bit. I left a good bit hanging when I cut the frame from an M1028 that had the rear frame rotted off. I like everything but the bumper patina does not match. It will in a few years of exposure. Thank you for looking. Face transplant.DSCF7941.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvrus

I started out measuring and cutting the hood for my art piece. DSCF7945.JPG I installed a stone screen in the core support to shade and fill the void where the radiator goes. DSCF7946.JPGI thought about a radiator and decided that was adding to much weight.
After removing the safety latch and spring I set the hood in place. i will be making a small bracket and fastening it on the under side.
DSCF7950.JPG
I didn't spend much time on this project today. I wanted to get some work done on the M1009 project. Nice weather and I am taking advantage of it. Be Safe.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I started out measuring and cutting the hood for my art piece. View attachment 841322 I installed a stone screen in the core support to shade and fill the void where the radiator goes. View attachment 841323I thought about a radiator and decided that was adding to much weight.
After removing the safety latch and spring I set the hood in place. i will be making a small bracket and fastening it on the under side.
View attachment 841324
I didn't spend much time on this project today. I wanted to get some work done on the M1009 project. Nice weather and I am taking advantage of it. Be Safe.
That is neat! In the garage, powered up headlights and signals could be a really cool addition. Heck, you might even have a remote in your pocket to turn things on and off. Definitely a nice idea!

cucvrus

No photo description available.
1 year ago I was removing an engine from this M1008 dually CUCV. The owner had the rear main seal changed and was talked into changing the oil pump. The new oil pump did not have a long enough pickup tube and resulted in the engine seizing once the truck was 1-1/2 quarts low on oil. I seen the oil pump and done a side by side comparison. The mig welder tack welds on the tube to the oil pump told me a lot. Dead giveaway. It could have been the oil pump suction tube was leaking suction at the poorly welded connection. That engine was toast. Even with all good intentions that particular CUCV was not worth reassembling. I ended up owning it and selling it after carefully doing an inventory of what I had to work with. It had 1979 K30 narrow tow truck chassis axles under it and the whole truck was hacked up. Take Care and Have a Great Day. I am enjoying this great weather as you should be also. More of that dirty 3 letter word later. Some spell it with a W_ _ K I spell it PLAY.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I had a text asking me if I was changing the rear main seal. NO. I was disconnecting all 8 pushrods and the main bearings so I could spin the crank shaft enough to get all 6 of the converter bolts out. In the past if I had an engine locked up I would remove the oil pan and find the busted rod or rods and eliminate them so I could spin the engine or even start it and drive it in the shop. It's broke anyway and most times broken is broken. Cost prohibits repairing the damaged engine. Replacement is the only option. Take care and thanks for looking.

cucvrus

Tonight I had to do maintenance on the air compressor. I neglected the air filters and they were clogged solid. I drained the oil and serviced everything. Should be able to get back at my projects on Friday. Tonight I rolled my CUCV art project off the horses and onto the ground. I was adjusting a clamp and it left loose. I spent some time after work running to get the brush guard. I had one stored in the barn at the farm. It was there a long time. My Son remembered it was there. I doubted him. He was going to use it on his CUCV but were just altered his with flat bar to make the design he wanted. DSCF2064 (1).JPG
I can't find any pictures but he added the 1991 core support and headlamps and we used flat bar to alter the grille for the new lighting.
I worked on my front end a little tonight. I installed the brush guard , Bridge placard, B/O lights in the bumper. I also added the clevises. I need to make adjustment screws/ bolts to keep the front end sheet metal angled correctly. It rocks and hangs because of the mounts are only on the 2 core support to frame bolts.
DSCF7962.JPG
I looked and said. No half fast work. get the B/O lights installed.
DSCF7963.JPGDSCF7964.JPGDSCF7964.JPG
DSCF7965.JPG
I am really happy with the results. I am going to do the final touches and get it mounted to a 3/4" or 1" plywood base. Thank you for looking. Take Care.

cucvrus

Todays post will be historical militarily. It will not mention CUCV's. I was over working on a barn a few miles from my home. The south east corner post had fallen out 20 years ago and it wasn't going anywhere.DSCF7981.JPG DSCF7982.JPG It was level and well supported. I took a 40 ton jack and positioned it to get a few 2x12 uprights in place. The historical part is the barn is in sight of FITG and it has many items from the military added to it over the years. Huge heavy grab handles that are OD Green, Ball ammunition stenciled wood piecesDSCF7983.JPG on the framing and used to attach hay feeders and the Marstan matting used to protect windows.DSCF7984.JPG DSCF7985.JPG I thought that was some cool stuff and is likely WWII surplus. I am taking some of that stuff back to my barn. Just for historical purposes. I did a decent job getting the corner jacked up and added a lot of wood. I am not a carpenter but can make my way around and get things done that they last. I did manage to get stung about 5 times in my left hand when I reached into a bees nest at the window where the wooden stencils are marked ball and have an ordnance symbol similar to the box below. Just a few pieces have legible stencils on them. So I hope you find the Marstan matting as interesting as I did. Take Care and Be safe.
1628462456901.png

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks