• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

cucvrus

And in this case with color match issues I would opt to have the entire vehicle repainted. That is what happens with special colors. If the vehicle was damaged by another party it could be discussed in a civil tone to have the paint job redone. I would not get loud and claim things that are not clear and present but my M1028 had damage caused by another driver and it was totaled. I discussed a pay out that was enough to do the repairs and asked to keep the vehicle free and clear of a reconstructed brand on the title. It worked. they paid me $9500. I kept the truck and repaired it myself with a NOS frame and front end sheet metal. I painted the entire truck in CARC. We all lived happily ever after till one day I spotted rust at the roof line and that was it. I put it out for sale and sold it is 3 hours. But talking civil and not loudly with an agent can make a huge difference in the outcome. Good Luck. You could send it back to the barn for refurbishment. Remain calm. Just helping out.

dc_cucv

A few more pictures of my efforts today. Rain has hampered all operations for today. Once wet I surrender to the house and recliner for the day. No point in over doing it. I learned when I was younger to fix things. I had a Yamaha DT250 dirt bike. I lived in a rural area. When things broke I had to fix them or I didn't get to ride dirt bike. I rode a lot of dirt bike. Nowadays it seems people just replace everything and call it improved. If I waited to replace everything I would get nothing done waiting for parts to arrive or running back and forth to parts houses. I installed a replacement stock fuel filter cartridge that was easy enough. 10 years use out of the one I replaced was good service. More later as it happens.
Did you install that screw and washer to hold the shift indicator cable?

I removed my bezel, and now the shift indicator cable came loose and not sure where it was connected in the first place.

cucvrus

It was a half decent day. After work I removed 2 sections of trailer frame and the front light corners from my newest trailer. View attachment 861522 View attachment 861523 View attachment 861524 View attachment 861525 View attachment 861526 Nice forklift modification to the rear support bracket. I can fix it. I am adding another frame section to the rear of the trailer and moving the centered rear section to the side as that is where the crushed stone exits. It will make the rear section stronger. View attachment 861528 I also removed the front clearance lamp corners and will be doing something different there. That seems to be a weak link in the design, and I see a lot of the trailers with these corners damaged. I can use smaller LED lamps in place of the big corners. Make it stronger that way and less susceptible to damage. View attachment 861529 More fun later. It is getting to be that time of the year again. Take Care. More later.
OK. Now I understand how the front clearance lights get cribbaged / smashed on every M1102 generator trailer. I fixed all mine and went out in the big world to crush stones. I went off the road in a light wooded area and when I came out the right side was smashed flat from a sapling that caught it. No pictures I was out without any electronic working. My Son's can't imagine going somewhere for an entire weekend with nothing to communicate with the rest of the world. It was great. I came home yesterday afternoon and drilled the rivets out of the corner light brackets and removed the front/side marker lights. I am going to the drawing board with that weak design. I will be using a much more durable light. And before you think I dragged the trailer thru the thickest brush I could find, I will tell you I was pulling it with my new truck and it never seen a twig. The trailer is back there and caught a small tree on a turn and just snagged and tore away the corner light bracket. I never seen or heard it till I stopped to work. I did a lot of trailer M1102 modifications over the weekend. I towed the trailer to northern Pennsylvania to crush rock and that trailer tows great. The surge brakes worked great. That is a very mountainous part of the state and I had no issues during dissention of the highest mountains on the highway. I will post some pictures of my progress and modifications later. Have a Great Day.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK. Now I understand how the front clearance lights get cribbage / smashed on every M1102 generator trailer. I fixed all mine and went out in the big world to crush stones. I went off the road in a lightly wooded area and when I came out the right side was smashed flat from a sapling that caught it. No pictures I was out without any electronic working. My Son's can't imagine going somewhere for an entire weekend with nothing to communicate with the rest of the world. It was great. I came home yesterday afternoon and drilled the rivets out of the corner light brackets and removed the front/side marker lights. I am going to the drawing board with that weak design. I will be using a much more durable light. And before you think I dragged the trailer thru the thickest brush I could find, I will tell you I was pulling it with my new truck and it never saw a twig. The trailer is back there and caught a small tree on a turn and just snagged and tore away the corner light bracket. I have never seen or heard it till I stopped work. I did a lot of trailer M1102 modifications over the weekend. I towed the trailer to northern Pennsylvania to crush rock and that trailer tows great. The surge brakes worked great. That is a very mountainous part of the state and I had no issues during the dissection of the highest mountains on the highway. I will post some pictures of my progress and modifications later. Have a Great Day
OK. Now I understand how the front clearance lights get cribbage / smashed on every M1102 generator trailer. I fixed all mine and went out in the big world to crush stones. I went off the road in a lightly wooded area and when I came out the right side was smashed flat from a sapling that caught it. No pictures I was out without any electronic working. My Son's can't imagine going somewhere for an entire weekend with nothing to communicate with the rest of the world. It was great. I came home yesterday afternoon and drilled the rivets out of the corner light brackets and removed the front/side marker lights. I am going to the drawing board with that weak design. I will be using a much more durable light. And before you think I dragged the trailer thru the thickest brush I could find, I will tell you I was pulling it with my new truck and it never saw a twig. The trailer is back there and caught a small tree on a turn and just snagged and tore away the corner light bracket. I have never seen or heard it till I stopped work. I did a lot of trailer M1102 modifications over the weekend. I towed the trailer to northern Pennsylvania to crush rock and that trailer tows great. The surge brakes worked great. That is a very mountainous part of the state and I had no issues during dissection of the highest mountains on the highway. I will post some pictures of my progress and modifications later. Have a Great Day.
Maybe it was meant to be. Now you can turn a negative into a positive.

cucvrus

DSCF8461.JPG
Yesterday I had a customer drop off his M1028 and he said he cannot get the ATF fluid to read on the dip stick. He was afraid his transmission was low and in reality, it was over full about 3 QT. I pull the dipstick and show him that it was broken off. He said he just had a local garage change the fluid before Winter. I know the Man at the garage and assured him that it was not the fault of the garage. Old / new stuff breaks. I removed the transmission drain plug and drained the fluid from the transmission. The missing piece was stuck to the magnet inside the pan. I could have just left it in there, but he wanted the fluid changed and the piece located. I assured him it was safe and would never affect anything. After $100 + he was on his way. Transmission fluid and oil are expensive these days. Just like everything else, I guess. Take Care. My goal of cleaning my garage was thwarted a bit, but I was under way in an hour. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

Sometimes you get involved in more projects than you need to. I have a lot of friends and they know me as the fixer guy. I changed the floor out on this flatbed Chevy for a customer. I went to a local sawmill and bought 1 3/8" Red Oak rough cut lumber and put a new floor on the flatbed. That would work great in an M1009. This job was supposed to be easy. I removed the old floor and what did I find? I found that the crossmembers were form steel and completely gone. Being in the northeast and 385K miles tend to punish steel. I sister joined 4" channel to the existing crossmembers and welded them to the long sills and outer rail. I think that should last another 10 years. By then the truck will be worn out. Nice weather brings out the best in me. Take Care and have a Great Day. Be Safe. I know it needs some paint work. I am going to mix up some black CARC and paint that rear liftgate area. The stuff holds up well. I painted the floor of my M1009 with CARC and it never wore thru even where my feet were at the gas pedal. Of course, I carefully applied several coats and left them dry between coats. My Mule M1009 had a great floor in it for an old 1984 M1009.
DSCF8460.JPG

cucvrus

1650802803292.png1650802821925.png
As you can see in the picture, I have cut the rear crossmember from my M1102 generator trailer. I have also removed the jack/stabilizer from a donor M1102 generator trailer. DSCF8410.JPG One can only imagine the horror that these poor trailers endured at the DRMO. I was able to realign and straighten the support bracket. Now my rock crusher has the 3 supports to stabilize it while crushing. I think the entire trailer will be painted in the safety blue with silver highlights. Moving right along. Fair weather brings out the best in me. Take Care. Hopefully my aging body can keep up with my mind this year.

cucvrus

DSCF8462.JPGDSCF8463.JPG
OK. Here is the problem. Easy enough to solve. I must get in there and clean up. I have tools laying everywhere. I do have the M1009 Little Red inside there already to continue on that project. I have a few other projects to finish and some summer lawn care equipment to work on, but it seems like things are going in the right direction. As long as the good weather continues, and my body can keep up I see a bright successful season. I was able to locate a lot of CUCV parts while doing some cleaning up in my lower barn. Good Stuff I forgot I had. Take Care and Be Safe. Do the job right the first time or don't even do it.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 865648
Yesterday I had a customer drop off his M1028 and he said he cannot get the ATF fluid to read on the dip stick. He was afraid his transmission was low and in reality, it was over full about 3 QT. I pull the dipstick and show him that it was broken off. He said he just had a local garage change the fluid before Winter. I know the Man at the garage and assured him that it was not the fault of the garage. Old / new stuff breaks. I removed the transmission drain plug and drained the fluid from the transmission. The missing piece was stuck to the magnet inside the pan. I could have just left it in there, but he wanted the fluid changed and the piece located. I assured him it was safe and would never affect anything. After $100 + he was on his way. Transmission fluid and oil are expensive these days. Just like everything else, I guess. Take Care. My goal of cleaning my garage was thwarted a bit, but I was under way in an hour. Take Care and Be Safe.
A tip less dipstick. A tip less dip stick. A tip less dip stick.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes you get involved in more projects than you need to. I have a lot of friends and they know me as the fixer guy. I changed the floor out on this flatbed Chevy for a customer. I went to a local sawmill and bought 1 3/8" Red Oak rough cut lumber and put a new floor on the flatbed. That would work great in an M1009. This job was supposed to be easy. I removed the old floor and what did I find? I found that the crossmembers were form steel and completely gone. Being in the northeast and 385K miles tend to punish steel. I sister joined 4" channel to the existing crossmembers and welded them to the long sills and outer rail. I think that should last another 10 years. By then the truck will be worn out. Nice weather brings out the best in me. Take Care and have a Great Day. Be Safe. I know it needs some paint work. I am going to mix up some black CARC and paint that rear liftgate area. The stuff holds up well. I painted the floor of my M1009 with CARC and it never wore thru even where my feet were at the gas pedal. Of course, I carefully applied several coats and left them dry between coats. My Mule M1009 had a great floor in it for an old 1984 M1009.
View attachment 865649
Nice work on the wood decking.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 865654View attachment 865655
OK. Here is the problem. Easy enough to solve. I must get in there and clean up. I have tools laying everywhere. I do have the M1009 Little Red inside there already to continue on that project. I have a few other projects to finish and some summer lawn care equipment to work on, but it seems like things are going in the right direction. As long as the good weather continues, and my body can keep up I see a bright successful season. I was able to locate a lot of CUCV parts while doing some cleaning up in my lower barn. Good Stuff I forgot I had. Take Care and Be Safe. Do the job right the first time or don't even do it.
I like it when you say you've found more parts!!!

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would this work the other way around? Would look awesome to have a MG42 mounted there :ROFLMAO: Although a M1919 would be more appropriate. I love the look of a MG42, almost bought a de-activated one a while ago, but the price held me back... Wonder how cops would react to (de-activated) M16s mounted in the rifle mounts...

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would this work the other way around? Would look awesome to have a MG42 mounted there :ROFLMAO: Although a M1919 would be more appropriate. I love the look of a MG42, almost bought a de-activated one a while ago, but the price held me back... Wonder how cops would react to (de-activated) M16s mounted in the rifle mounts...
Officer: what is the purpose of carrying this type of device on your vehicle? Well, officer, I carry it in case I need it for a carjacking. Say hello to my little friend.

Last edited:

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a neighbor who was a German machine gun soldier during World War II. Not sure what brought him to the States, but like most soldiers, he was doing what his Country expected of him. War has terrible consequences for everyone involved.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks