• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

cucvrus

A little bit of sag on the truck, the trailer does not even budge.
In defense of the truck. It is a 1987 M1028 and has a load of Sycamore logs under the Maple. Sycamore is what they make chopping blocks out of. Very dense and heavy wood. Besides the springs are OEM springs and all CUCV's should have new springs by now. I have a set for this truck. I will get them on in the next 10 years. Sometime before I expire. Have a Great Day.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In defense of the truck. It is a 1987 M1028 and has a load of Sycamore logs under the Maple. Sycamore is what they make chopping blocks out of. Very dense and heavy wood. Besides the springs are OEM springs and all CUCV's should have new springs by now. I have a set for this truck. I will get them on in the next 10 years. Sometime before I expire. Have a Great Day.
When I pull my M1008 into a materials yard and tell them to load it with a yard of sand or rock, they ask me if I want half now and the other half later. I tell them I will take it all now. The operator starts placing the material slowly into the truck as several yard people look on waiting for the truck to start to sag. After about half the load going in slowly, without any sag, the operator quickly dumps the remaining material, realizing that the truck can handle the weight. The yard guys walk on, feeling a little disapointed that they missed out on a little laugh that the truck didn't bottom out.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No defense needed, that is an impressive amount of weight the truck can carry.

Keith_J

I sagged the leaf springs on my 1031..tools and parts plus towing heavy trailers. So I installed air springs, ditching the over load springs. Much better ride all around and easily adjusted. The tongue jack on my travel trailer needs a bit more height, dropping to 30 PSI does just fine. Once connected, add 75 PSI, tension weight distribution bars and it is connected.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sagged the leaf springs on my 1031..tools and parts plus towing heavy trailers. So I installed air springs, ditching the over load springs. Much better ride all around and easily adjusted. The tongue jack on my travel trailer needs a bit more height, dropping to 30 PSI does just fine. Once connected, add 75 PSI, tension weight distribution bars and it is connected.
Nice.

cucvrus

My experience with air spring assists was never good. I have friends that swear by them on smaller trucks. I had them on a CUCV M1028 salt spreader truck and in the middle of a storm one of the connections leaked air and the truck was not usable. That was when I installed the new leaf springs. I also eliminated the auxiliary springs on that M1028 and the new springs all the way around made it sit, ride and drive like it was a new 1984 K30. Never made it ride or drive like a new modern truck, but it did get the firm sag free drivability back into the old truck. Then a few years later the differential rusted thru and that was the end of the line. Rust had taken another CUCV to the shredder. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

Today after work I decided to replace the kinked brake line. DSCF8544.JPG DSCF8545.JPG DSCF8546.JPG DSCF8547.JPG Yea I guess that was bit kinked. DSCF8548.JPG It is horrible how poorly these trailers are handled. I decided the B/O taillamps had to go. I am not wiring it for a military plug so they will serve no purpose. DSCF8550.JPG DSCF8551.JPGI am going to use lights similar to this. These are LED and made by Trucklite DSCF8549.JPG I have a set of Grote with the black flange I will be using. I designed a mount that I do not have to cut or drill the trailer. I have it up on blocks and am going to replace the master cylinder and bleed the brakes. I have a nice set of Jan 2011 tail lamps that I don't need. DSCF8552.JPG DSCF8553.JPG Take Care. I am being rained out at the moment.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My experience with air spring assists was never good. I have friends that swear by them on smaller trucks. I had them on a CUCV M1028 salt spreader truck and in the middle of a storm one of the connections leaked air and the truck was not usable. That was when I installed the new leaf springs. I also eliminated the auxiliary springs on that M1028 and the new springs all the way around made it sit, ride and drive like it was a new 1984 K30. Never made it ride or drive like a new modern truck, but it did get the firm sag-free drivability back into the old truck. Then a few years later the differential rusted thru and that was the end of the line. Rust had taken another CUCV to the shredder. Have a Great Day.
Air spring assist, and airbags, definitely have some downside. Prepare for maintenance and dollar outlays. And potential failures at times.

cucvrus

1652524351234.pngI will just paste this picture here. My Son had just arrived back from Iraq, he and his friends went wheeling. This how the M1028A1 was when I was called to pull it out. He was fearful it was going to roll and wanted Dad to be there so I could get it out of the hole with no damage. The winch cable you see was attached as a precaution before I arrived. I used a Ford F350 boom wrecker to get it out. And yes, he was very muddy after doing the hookup. That truck has 7K miles on it when I bought it. It was a great truck for my Son.

cucvrus

DSCF8554.JPG
This is my updated lighting. This trailer is only in the design phase. I am replacing all the LED lighting except the 3 LED lights under the rear angle. I plan on using small LED clearance lamps. These big clearance lights are prone to breakage and the front corner lights are ridiculously low and just looking for something to snag or hit. After I have everything fitted and operational, I will remove all the lighting and paint the entire trailer. The long support pockets are going to come off also. I have yard work to do today. I always have something to do, and I never get lost. Someone always tells me where to go. Take Care. Be Safe. I was out on the table saw cutting the light brackets this AM. That was sketchy. I have the correct blades, but short pieces are always sketchy.

cucvrus

Today I spent a few hours at Penndot getting a title for my M1102 trailer. I planned ahead and stopped by a person's garage and picked up some nice M1102 tailgates and 2 stabilizer legs. Facebook market has been a great source for scoring some odd parts. I do some investigating and question asking about items posted. I found these parts under a posting for HMMWV tires and wheels. The tires and wheels were sold but he mentioned he had some odds and end parts. He described them and I stopped by his place after the Penndot visit and struck up a deal. I wanted 1 HMMWV tire and wheel for a spare. I have wheels and am sure a decent tire will come around real soon. Thank you for looking. Take Care.
DSCF8560.JPG

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a spare last week...the guy had 6...I can ask if he'd sell one more...he said no one was looking at them...he's south of Shrewsbury by the MD border...I need the rear stabilizing leg that stores up front...mine is missing one! Barn time soon!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

cucvrus

These stabilzer legs are attached under the rear of the trailers. One is for an M101 and the other is just the leg with no bracket for an M1102. I want to add the m1102 generator trailer not the standard M1102 cargo trailer.

Last edited:

cucvrus

DSCF8550.JPG
The 2nd crossmember back is a short piece and it was bent slightly down. I used the Kubota loader and pressed down on the front after I had the hitch blocked. I used a short 2-ton bottle jack and jacked the piece back into place. It took 2 good blows with the sledgehammer, and it was back in alignment.
maybe not perfect but good enough for a log hauler. I also jacked and dollied out the fender on the right side. I have it stuffed too far into the corner to safely work on the left side.
DSCF8561.JPG I cut a piece of 3" aluminum channel and fit it into place between the front and second crossmember. I used extruded aluminum angle to attach the piece to the 2 crossmembers. I am going to use a small LED light. I may be cutting a piece of aluminum tubing to make a protector for the light. I can run it thru the saw and cut the front wall from the tubing and angle the ends. Undecided. I want to weigh my options and look at my LED amber lights. This is simple and only needs 1- 3/8" hole. The channel is riveted in place with 3/16" rivets. It really strengthened the side of the trailer. The low hanging front corner lights had to go. DSCF8562.JPG Take Care and be Safe. I have a lot of work going on same as always. I bought some shims at the hardware store. I will get working on CUCV's again. But for now, I have many choices. Never a dull moment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks