• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dan's M1081 Pick-up and Build

DanM7890

I have not heard of many but I don't own the tow bar. Either way it worked as it should for a 3-3.5hr drive we had. we also had safety chains hooked up which we added after I took that picture.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You made it home safe with a new toy and that's the important part. I'm still wishing for one within 3 hours of me and it just ain't happening (not that I can buy one at the moment any way).

DanM7890

I'd say it look like tranny fluid but should have been oil in the tranny. Maybe steering fluid?
This is why I'm not just going to start it up and see if it'll run smooth. I'm going to go through each fluid and check what the current level is as well as the color before changing it all.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't want to discredit what was done in the recovery or hijack the thread, because it apparently worked out well, however, based on the comment above I did a quick search and found the following documenting a failure of said bar on this site. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-Ibis-Tek-tow-bar-failure-snapped-like-a-twig There may be more references, I don't know.

Ken and I have done 3 long range recoveries with that tow bar, one pulling a 5 ton through the mountains of Tennessee. It worked flawlessly every time. Two LMTV's and a 923A2. Think whatever you want, it works.

DanM7890

Went over to Jim's after work and picked up a fuse box cover, new window, a light switch and a complete spare. I even learned how to mount the tire onto the rim. Very nice guy and prices were great!

He had a spare turret cover but the edges were rusted and the overall condition wasn't that nice. I'm going to have to keep looking for one.

DanM7890

I will add that on some vehicles that don't have enough caster built in, it won't center after cornering so just add some bungee cords and it will help.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled it.
It ran straight and true and took turns perfectly.
It pulled so great I averaged 60mph no problems.
And with the 5 tons brakes with the LMTV I could stop on a dime and give you change.
Also the tow bar is great I've pulled 2 LMTVs with it, My M923A2 twice.
And has never given me any problems

DanM7890

So I have been going through and there's a lot of fine sand behind the floor covering and behind the rear storage bins so I'm going to have to remove everything to make sure there's no rust hidden, and to help prevent it. I am going back to Jim Henry's today to get some window trim and the turn signal level/harness, since the one I had was not working. I got the batteries installed and checked all the lights and everything seems operational. The next big thing is to start changing the fluids and I'm going to put new u-joints on.

DanM7890

Got all four batteries charged and installed. I tested the lights and everything turns on. When the power switch is pressed the LOUD siren starts and won't turn off. I hit the red button and nothing happens. I checked the fuse/relay panel to make sure the 12v and 24v ones were in the right spot and everything looked good. I was reading there's something on the side of the started I need to check next to see if power is getting there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks