• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dan's M1081 Pick-up and Build

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dan, the sound is your low air alarm. There's a little "German cross" or "Radiation symbol" looking plastic speaker cover thing about the size of a half dollar just above your steering column, cover that and it will get quieter. It won't turn off until you reach 120 PSI though the whole system. (It will also beep while running if you drop below 120 psi until the air system catches up).... I think it's 120 PSI.

If the red button isn't working, check the wiring on it. Start following the troubleshooting in the TM for "No crank".

Overdrive

What Shark bait and Bikeman said the alarm is your low air warning... It should shut off when you build up air pressure between 60 and 90 PSI in both tanks. I think mine shuts of in that range.

I would recommend you review the -10 TM on operating instructs for the vehicle. It covers what to expect like the warning buzzer and other checks and safety items for driving these trucks.

All the manuals, -10, -20, -24P are available in the SS manuals forum for A0 trucks.
OD

DanM7890

How can anybody even think with how loud that alarm gets! My neighbor heard it and came over to see what was going on. Thanks for the heads up about the low air pressure. I will start going through the truck tomorrow as I have a dinner date after work. ;)

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, it's loud, but it's to prevent dumb private from starting to drive the truck like that and getting in an accident.

Overdrive

And its loud so that if you loose air pressure while driving there is ZERO chance you won't hear the warning... I just keep hearing protection in my truck that I throw on initially during warm-up :)

One thing to mention in general, not directed at you Dan ;) , on the alarm as well as other stuff with these medium duty class trucks is be careful to not disable safety features on these rigs. If you get into an accident and have modified required safety features.... Y.I.K.E.S.

DanM7890

Another issue I'll have to address, I did try to raise the cab manually and the hydraulic fluid came out. I didn't get a picture but I will locate on a TM where and I'll have to rebuild that part. It's located in between the spare and the cab right in the middle.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been reading them all morning, I'm pretty over whelmed right now looking through 100s of pages.
I printed off just the -10 and it took 2 huge folders and a couple of reams of paper. Obviously there's some stuff in there that you don't have to read and there are a number of intentionally blank pages but the basics are there to help you out. Using the -24p can help identify parts that are either there or give you a good indication as to what's missing. That one takes a little getting used to as you have to find the specific section, identify what you're looking for, then page ahead to find the actual part name that corresponds to the number in the picture. Since I've probably got a couple of weeks yet before I can put my hands on my new M1078 the only thing I can do is live vicariously through threads here and sit and read the TMs.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also been looking through TMs for this missing part. Anyone recognize what's supposed to be strapped there?
definitely the cold start canister. It's available from Napa, part# 33118. That reminds me I need to replace mine (it's empty). BTW, it was good to meet you at the Denton rally. Look forward to seeing this truck!

DanM7890

definitely the cold start canister. It's available from Napa, part# 33118. That reminds me I need to replace mine (it's empty). BTW, it was good to meet you at the Denton rally. Look forward to seeing this truck!
Thanks for the PN. It was nice to meet you as well. Since you're local I'll send you my cell # so we can meet up once I get this truck together.

Overdrive

No worries DanM7890 there is TONS of info in all the TMs. I downloaded all the manuals from SS but I also purchased a hard copy of the -10 from Amazon so I always have a quick reference in the truck.

I have owned my 97 LMTV since last October and am always learning and figuring out new stuff on how these trucks work. I BIGGEST teacher for me has been simply working on the truck with maintenance and my little custom mods. I know most of the noises the truck makes when driving now like "oh, there goes the CTIS checking and adjusting air pressure" and of course the dreaded 3-2 downshift jerk my truck has when coming to a stop (still working that issue).

OD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks