• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Denton NC mv show 2015

Ford Mechanic

Hey guys the Denton NC mv show is April 17-19 this year. I've seen stuff about it here before but this will be my first time attending a mv show. I was wondering if any other members were planning to attend? Anything I need to bring in particular? Do they have trails to ride on? Any advice or stuff I need to know before?

wilfreeman

Yeah, I'll be there. There are usually about a dozen of us there camping and keeping Cabell occupied at the MKT. I ran the info threads on the rally last year, but am a little too busy to do it this year - I haven't been too active on any of the forums lately.

Bring an HMV, a chair, any adult beverages you enjoy, and some cash for the vendors.

Trails are about 15 miles away - might be some folks venturing in that direction during the weekend.

The guys there are in their own groups - ours is one, ww2 re enactors, MVPA, vendors and Jim Henry, and others that prefer to be on their own. Our group camps around the MKT. The showers are nice and hot with plenty of it! Spectators start coming in to look at what you bring on Friday after work. Most of them come on Saturday and still more on Sunday while you are trying to load up to leave on Sunday. Cabell runs the MKT and provides 3 squares a day for a reasonable price, although I haven't confirmed him this year yet. Lots of good stories told there, even though Tigger won't be with us this year to tell his!

wilfreeman

Bring your buddies too! I think 3 years ago was the most vehicles we had ( the first year I think). Hopefully it will keep growing so that Jim and Bob will keep putting the show on. That's what Jim said would happen anyway - as long as they aren't losing too much! Anyway, we always have a good time with no trouble makers.

Ford Mechanic

I'm debating on bringing my 923 we already have to drive the civy truck to haul the camper. That would put the wife pulling the 32ft camper and 2x the fuel. Would be good practice for her cause she'll have to pull it to the beach Memorial day weekend though.

wilfreeman

I'm debating on bringing my 923 we already have to drive the civy truck to haul the camper. That would put the wife pulling the 32ft camper and 2x the fuel. Would be good practice for her cause she'll have to pull it to the beach Memorial day weekend though.
That's a big camper for a first timer, but that would be one way to learn! How far away are you from Denton?

Dentons calender shows it 9-12 ?
I think it is the next weekend Mike - sux for me because now I will have to take 3 or 4 days off!

Ford Mechanic

She pulled our horse trailer/camper regularly it was 21ft. On the way home from our last trip we traded it in and bought a new camper in Mocksville, NC, the horse trailer was just to tight inside with us and 4 dogs. This trailer pulls ALOT better than the old one so I think she'll get used to it quickly. She'll be following me, I'm alway the slow and cautious one. I just need to buy some 2 way radios between now and then. We're about 5 hrs from Denton.

How do I reconize other SS members? Ya'll have name tags like the GA rally?

wilfreeman

She might be alright since she has some experience. The Denton "show" is a lot different from the GA rally. We just sit around and bs, drive our vehicles around the facility and the surrounding area, some go trail riding. There are vendors and other people's vehicles to look at and talk about. The visitors that come to the show are always fun to talk to - a bunch of old vets that are good to talk to show up. The evenings are the time to sit around the fire and tell your tales while partaking in your favorite beverages. Plenty of stuff for sale too. 5hrs is a long trip for a 2.5 day show, but you should have a good time.

The facility has plenty of camp sites with power and water - no sewer hookups, but do have a couple of dump stations. They have WiFi, but usually can't get it to work ant distance from the office. We usually set up the MKT on the second road on the left as you come in the main entrance. Most of us (Steel Soldiers) will be called around it. Some will have the SS decal on their windshield (I have on my m38a1, but not the deuce. If you find me, I can point out all the ones I know, likewise for the other members.

wilfreeman

I don't think anything big will fit on the trails around there - I know Jeeps, CUCVs and m37s will though. I think I read on another thread that large vehicles aren't allowed on those trails.

I will be there. Jim said he'd loan me a wrecker truck if I need one to get the engine in the M548 I am getting from John Appel, he want's me to make sure I have the M548 there I think! Not sure what I will have there, but my HOPE will be to have my M920 'wreckerized' and have a driveable M548 in tow. I REALLY hope to have a driveable HMMWV by then as well, if I have the HMMWV I will most definitely be hitting the trails at Uwharrie.

wilfreeman

That will be cool! Is the 920 the one you had the expandable on last year? An HMMWV on the trails will be awesome too! Are you buying one of the surplus ones?

I thought about taking the m38a1 to the trails, but i HATE rocks! They will screw a vehicle up quick! Maybe I'll just being the Ranger to take to the trails.

Yes the 920 that HAD the box. It will hopefully have an S280 and a wrecker boom behind it (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?117950-CBR-Metalworks-M920-hauler-Mad-Max). If I have something to take on the trails (like a HMMWV) that I can fit my whole family in, I don't mind leading a group to Uwharrie. I won't be taking it on any hard trails, there are plenty of trails suitable for bone stock vehicles, unless it is wet then it is like driving in peanut butter...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks