• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce driving tips

jdr2710

If you dont have an in cab heater, a generator in the bed with an extension cord and a small space heater in the cab, although very "redneck" makes life a lot easier, especially when it comes to defrosting the windshield!

I'm thinking about using one of them catalytic type (not open flame type) propane heaters with a 1 pound bottle if it gets too cold. Well secured so it doesn't move on me. I've used them in my hunting tent with a CO detector and run for many hours without ever setting off the detector. Also a redneck setup, but a little more compact than the generator plus heater.

Coleman BlackCat Instastart PerfecTemp Catalytic Heater ? Walmart.com

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody have any good tips about driving in ice or snowy weather besides don't do it or stay home. I have allready grooved my tires, I hope I picked a good pattern. I also have :3dAngus:about 1000 pounds of old cast iron radiators to throw into the bed for weight.:popcorn:

Denny
ICE=Chains, PERIOD.

I don't know that grooves will help that much on packed snow, probably better than before, but lockers would probably help too.

dezert ratt

Keep a flashlight mounted within reach for night driving, and when exiting remember the step out of the cab is a long one. I've stepped out at night and planted my foot on the edge of the step, slipping and face plant. I also have a bad habit of putting my foot in the crush zone of the drivers seat.

instag8tr

Anybody have any good tips about driving in ice or snowy weather besides don't do it or stay home. I have allready grooved my tires, I hope I picked a good pattern. I also have :3dAngus:about 1000 pounds of old cast iron radiators to throw into the bed for weight.:popcorn:

Denny
When stopping shift into neutral and or depress the clutch pedalm

wb1895

I can tell a lot of these tips are from non cdl holders
No, these responses are from responsible people who want to do the right thing by paying attention to what they are doing with 40 year old trucks. Not just for our safety but for the safety of other people on the road.

Second the M35 does not require a CDL in most states, so somebody who is new to these trucks might just benefit from a suggestion/ tip on this thread.

How about adding something useful to the thread, instead of making smart A$$ remarks.

instag8tr

No, these responses are from responsible people who want to do the right thing by paying attention to what they are doing with 40 year old trucks. Not just for our safety but for the safety of other people on the road.

Second the M35 does not require a CDL in most states, so somebody who is new to these trucks might just benefit from a suggestion/ tip on this thread.
How about adding something useful to the thread, instead of making smart A$$ remarks.
Listen calm down. What I was referring to is that most of these suggestions are second nature for CDL holders. I know it doesn't require a cdl and I gave a good tip if you care to read before spouting off.

mudbogging101

I bet if you have a hard to u can put a window unit in there and brace it off the bed and install and inverter and there you go, but u may wanna open the windows for some heat....LOL

Jesse6325

Just remember it's big, it's slow, and it's made of unforgiving iron so respect it like a sensible person would any piece of 40+year old machinery.,,,,
And BTW,,, most important,,, HAVE FUN! :D

Rodger

Thank youall for the very helpful advice.

I got this idea from a friend who drove M35's during his military carreer.
Weld a long piece of steel or rebar to the outside edge of the front bumper so you can see where the truck ends.

Rodger

emr

Never turn the steering wheel of any vehicle unless the vehicle is in motion, wear and tear are excellerated greatly. practice driving in large areas, see how you can handle turning-her, hit the brakes hard and see how she reacts, before it happens on the road, Dont drive any vehicle faster than it was made to go, :):)

Dipstick

Practice 360 situational awareness like a fighter pilot while driving. Check your mirrors regularly and always know what's in front of you, behind you and on either side. Maintain a long following distance between yourself and the vehicle ahead of you. Expect to get cut off once in a while. Try not to drive during peak commuting hours when impatience and road rage can occur.

steelandcanvas

Weld a long piece of steel or rebar to the outside edge of the front bumper so you can see where the truck ends.

Rodger
You might want to think twice about that one. Looks like something you could impale yourself on should you slip off of the bumper or fender. A better idea is to get familiar with the vehicle and know how far the front end projects.

DeucesWild11

Surprised no one mentioned checking the fuel filter for water? When I first got my deuce I took out about 1 cup worth out of the primary filter and another 1/2 cup out of the secondary. Not to mention there was no primary filter installed! Also like to ditto Heath's comment to drive like you have no brakes and always have an out if possible. Also check your brake fluid, I do before every ride. I purchased a remote reservoir kit here from another fellow SS member, it's cheap and was the best upgrade I have ever done! Now I never have to open the hatch in the floor again to check for fluid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks