• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce driving tips

bigginstactical

A few tips I learned from driving the fire trucks are the Captain (co pilot in this case) should help with lane changes and pulling out on to roads. Sounds dumb I know but when in a big red truck with lights people do really really stupid things and its not much different in green iron. So my gf will look and say clear right, mind you I still look to but every little bit helps. Also if you have somebody with you use them a backer if in tight areas. Common sense is also very helpful haha. Most of all don't smile to much you may look crazy! haha :tank:

scooter01922

Watch where you are standing and whats on your boots if you are just cranking it up for a little pre drive warm up. Had left foot on the step and right foot in the cab to give it a little gas. Went to turn and dismount and... Muddy boots + steel steps do not = traction. Doing the splits involuntarily is uncomfortable, so is simultaneously slamming your left knee against the step and your right shin against that nifty piece of sheetmetal along the bottom of the door frame. Both knee and shin still hurt and its been weeks, **** bone bruises. Also +1 on the whole elbow + door thing, been there and done that. With regards to the wheel its NOT just thumbs you need to watch its anything inside the wheel. Plowing with the truck i hit a hunk of frozen crud and it yanked the wheel over very fast. My hand slipped into the wheel when it jerked and slammed the outside of my hand hard roughly halfway between little finger and wrist. Hurt like **** and i couldn't grip anything very hard without a lot of pain so i figured xrays were in order. Yup, nice crack in the bone thanks to that one, all you can really do is wait the several weeks it takes for those to heal. Has anyone not suffered at least one good injury due to this hobby??

TehTDK

You might want to think twice about that one. Looks like something you could impale yourself on should you slip off of the bumper or fender. A better idea is to get familiar with the vehicle and know how far the front end projects.
Well perhaps not a steel one. But I have seen trucks drive around with a plastic/carbonfibre stick attached to each corner of their vehicle to know where the corners are. Serves the same purpose as the steel "bar", just a lot safer and lighter to deal with :p

aczlan

Well perhaps not a steel one. But I have seen trucks drive around with a plastic/carbonfibre stick attached to each corner of their vehicle to know where the corners are. Serves the same purpose as the steel "bar", just a lot safer and lighter to deal with :p
Look at "blade guides" for snowplows (ie: http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Guide-Florescent-Orange-Pair/dp/B0043WFZPQ/ ) they are florescent orange, bendable and should work. Some are even wired with lights inside so you can see them better at night.

Aaron Z

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
For backing up and during slow manuvering use Low Range. It will keep the truck from bucking and jumping around and it's almost impossible to kill the engine in any gear when in the low side.
Learn how to split shift and you will find it a lot easier to get to crusing speed when loaded heavy. It's like having two extra gears.
In hot weather carry a small cooler with frozen bottles of water in it. They will stay cold a lot longer than just icing them down.
You cannot stay cool in a deuce in hot weather (unless you have installed AC) even if you are cruising down the road. Usually you are just blowing hot air over yourself and you will still lose a lot of fluids. Carry plenty of water and sports type drinks with you (sodas or cafinated drinks are not the best for re-hydrating).
Carry a tool kit and spares of anything you think you will need.
A credit card with a big limit is a good idea on a long trip.

Hainebd

I am new but have a tip. Always let the copilot help u drive any vehicle. Four eyes are better than two. Work out communication such as "clear right". If you use go it can get mixed with no. When backing us the spotter outside truck or car. Back in whenever possible. Yes that car is pulling out in front of you!

Diecorpse

Lots of great tips!! Definitely makes this hobby more enjoyable!! I always have my cap with the led lights on it in the truck. You keep both hands free, it's bright, and makes life easier. However I do carry a spare mag light in the truck. It's scratched up good but it handles all the bouncing around. Keeping extra belts and filters with seals is a must. I also keep a roadside emergency kit in the truck, if your broke down at night or poor visibility conditions, the extra lights and flares help. For newer owners, always check your shifter before starting, even in fifth gear the starter can roll the truck. Lastly, ENJOY THE RIDE!!

nosajb15af

If you plan on some serious offroading dont clinch the wheel hard. Youll need an arm sling the next day when the truck dislocates your shoulder.

DodgerRoger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have to jack up your truck to work on it or change a tire do not leave the lug wrench on the lug nuts you just broke loose as you jack up the tire. The rears are terrible about getting in a bind when cornering and can hold themselves in a bound up state for a lot longer than you might think, I say they are always bound up to a degree. When the tire clears the ground it can quickly rotate to releave this bind and hurl the wrench at you when it does.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Listen calm down. What I was referring to is that most of these suggestions are second nature for CDL holders. I know it doesn't require a cdl and I gave a good tip if you care to read before spouting off.
I have to agree with instag8tr...I don't have a CDL but I do have a non-commercial Class A with Air Brakes. With these DLs, you reach a whole new stage of vehicle condition awareness, especially knowing that while going through weigh stations/inspection points/ports of entry, the Motor Carrier folks are just looking for a reason to place your rig out of service and/or hang a bunch of paper on you. I have to admit, after upgrading my license, my pre-trip inspections became a whole lot more thorough than they ever have been, and I had thought they were pretty thorough to begin with.

Instag8tr is just pointing out that CDL holders are typically at a whole different level of awareness as second nature; after doing thorough pre-trip inspections and having to be inspected/examined by MC inspectors, you start becoming hyper-aware of your vehicle's condition. Most Deuce/MV owners most likely have nothing more than regular car & pickup driving backgrounds whose typical pre-trip inspection consists of making sure no tires are flat, fuel is in the tank, and the vehicle starts...to do thorough, proper pre-trip inspections as laid out in a -10 takes a pretty good conscious effort. This is not to say that most Deuce owners have never read the -10 or other TMs for their vehicles; I believe that most of us have...but we all know there is a good percentage of MV owners out there who have never read the -10 for their particular vehicle. My awareness and attention was taken to a whole new level when I upgraded my driver's license, and I have no desire to ever get a CDL (placarding, bridge formulas, manifests, log books, hours-of-service, etc...NO THANKS).

Last edited:

Diecorpse

I just realized another thing while driving home in the rain today, if you rain x your windows and wipe the inside down with anti fog wipes, makes driving easier, especially at night!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks