• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Tailgate Crane

plym49

I always seem to be loading and unloading heavy objects in and out of my Deuce in situations where ramps or loading docks are not practical. I am considering setting up a truck crane that I can mount on the tailgate when needed. The stuff I lift tends to be small in volume and up to 600 or 700 lbs (maximum - most in the 200 to 300 lb range).

I am considering purchasing this crane:

Pickup Truck Crane W/ Cable Winch

and then beefing it up with a truss up top, and finally replacing the hand winch with this electric model:

12V Power In, Power Out Winch - 3000 Lb. Capacity

I would mount the crane by drilling the tailgate such that the crane straddles the hinge the second from the right. I would add a good-sized steel backer plate underneath, and use good hardware so that I can mount the crane when I need it.

The top part of this crane is removable so theoretically I can close the tailgate with the lower part still attached.

I could also make a leg that extends from the ground to the underside of the tailgate so that all of the weight is not borne by the hinges and tailgate chains.

The nice thing about this is that the components are fairly inexpensive and I can be up and running quickly. I am interested in hearing about potential down sides that either need to be accommodated, or flat make this a bad idea.

To give you an idea of the heaviest item I would be lifting, something like a M37 long block with bellhousing and a civilian truck tranny.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I have one and it's now off the truck. The cable broke the first time I used it trying to lift 350 pounds.

I redid the hook and since lifted a lot of A3 tires with rims (whatever weight that is).

The teeth then stripped. Now it has a dead spot of 2 or 3 teath that irritates me so I took it off. It lasted about a year.

Speedwoble

I am considering purchasing this crane:

Pickup Truck Crane W/ Cable Winch
I had this one in the back of my deuce in Iowa. Pickup Truck Crane - 1/2 Ton Capacity

I added a boat winch on top which used seat belt webbing in place of a steel cable. My experience is the steel cable develops sharp splinters.

I will say it was very worthwhile, but the top is not the weak point, the mounting base is. I broke it where the vertical tube welded to the square base. Also, there is a lot of leverage on the base. It started fatiguing the metal on the deuce floor and I had to add a reinforcement plate underneath that spread the load to the trusses.

Lastly, the tube is steel on steel, so it is very difficult to swing with a load on it.

sierra117

I have considerd doing something similar but I was was going to mount to outside of the bed kind of like a fishing rod holder works so when I am not using it I can remove it and as a added bonus it won't take up space in the bed

5ton4ever

I put one of those harbor freight pickup cranes in the rear of the bed to lift the spare tire in my 5 ton. michelin 16:00 Xx 20 on hemmt wheel. approx. 400 lbs. hand winch was geared wrong so it wouldn't even pick up the spare.:( going to change it to an electric 2,000 lb. winch and see what happens.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
there are quite a few threads on guys doing this, search is not my friend, also I have NO great need for a tailgate crane (a 819 lifts a lot more) so I don't see me fighting search to find the threads

plym49

I have one and it's now off the truck. The cable broke the first time I used it trying to lift 350 pounds.

I redid the hook and since lifted a lot of A3 tires with rims (whatever weight that is).

The teeth then stripped. Now it has a dead spot of 2 or 3 teath that irritates me so I took it off. It lasted about a year.
Was that with the stock hand winch or the electric one (see link in my original post)?

I am expecting to have to do some reengineering. The HF units are mostly raw material.

plym49

there are quite a few threads on guys doing this, search is not my friend, also I have NO great need for a tailgate crane (a 819 lifts a lot more) so I don't see me fighting search to find the threads
How about you search Google maps for directions to my house. Just bring that toy of yours and be prepared to stay for a couple of months. It will save me the cost and effor of doing this, and it looks like that thing can lift 700 lbs no problem. :)

plym49

I had this one in the back of my deuce in Iowa. Pickup Truck Crane - 1/2 Ton Capacity

I added a boat winch on top which used seat belt webbing in place of a steel cable. My experience is the steel cable develops sharp splinters.

I will say it was very worthwhile, but the top is not the weak point, the mounting base is. I broke it where the vertical tube welded to the square base. Also, there is a lot of leverage on the base. It started fatiguing the metal on the deuce floor and I had to add a reinforcement plate underneath that spread the load to the trusses.

Lastly, the tube is steel on steel, so it is very difficult to swing with a load on it.
One of my concerns - I don't mind reinforcing the Deuce tailgate but I do not want to bugger up the appearance of the truck.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't mount it on the tailgate. The tailgate or tailgate chains aren't strong enough for this. If you're going to mount one you need to mount it to the bed and add reinforcement under the bed to tie the crane to the cross-members.

plym49

Don't mount it on the tailgate. The tailgate or tailgate chains aren't strong enough for this. If you're going to mount one you need to mount it to the bed and add reinforcement under the bed to tie the crane to the cross-members.
I was originally thinking of mounting it at the back of the bed, reinforcing underneath as you suggest, but then was concerned about the amount of swing and the need to remove the rear bow each time I used it. I figured that 6 200 lb soldiers could stand on the tail gate when it is supported by the chains, and figured I would be OK. If not, then either this does have to go into the bed, or perhaps I can fabricate a leg to mount underneath the crane post so that most of the weight goes straight down to the ground. This could be metal or a properly braced 6x6. Then, the tailgate would be mostly for location and the stress would be taken up by the post. The post would need to have some adjustment to compensate for uneven ground or as the suspension settles with more load.

toddm

I bought this unit from a guy and cut 5" out of the mast so it would fit under my cargo cover. I bolted it directly to the Deuce floor and added supporting plates underneath. The hand crank winch works fine for spare Deuce tires, that is all I've ever had to lift with it and really all it was intended for.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was originally thinking of mounting it at the back of the bed, reinforcing underneath as you suggest, but then was concerned about the amount of swing and the need to remove the rear bow each time I used it. I figured that 6 200 lb soldiers could stand on the tail gate when it is supported by the chains, and figured I would be OK. If not, then either this does have to go into the bed, or perhaps I can fabricate a leg to mount underneath the crane post so that most of the weight goes straight down to the ground. This could be metal or a properly braced 6x6. Then, the tailgate would be mostly for location and the stress would be taken up by the post. The post would need to have some adjustment to compensate for uneven ground or as the suspension settles with more load.
I haven't done the calculations but there is tremendously more force at the mounting point than the weight of what you're lifting.

plym49

I haven't done the calculations but there is tremendously more force at the mounting point than the weight of what you're lifting.
Yes, you're right. The bending moment. But we are dealing with fairly stout pieces.

sedohr

I bought this unit from a guy and cut 5" out of the mast so it would fit under my cargo cover. I bolted it directly to the Deuce floor and added supporting plates underneath. The hand crank winch works fine for spare Deuce tires, that is all I've ever had to lift with it and really all it was intended for.
nice setup. can you leave just the base of the crane and still drop the bench on that side?

tm america

I had one of those 1/2 ton cranes on my pickup for yrs. It worked great no issues. I used it for loading engines,trans, and other things i was scrapping. The unit i got had two pieces of angle that went underneath the bed.. I doupt you would ever bend the bed before you broke the crane.. Remember these were made to be used on thin little pickup truck beds.. The deuce bed and tailgate is at least twice as thick.The chains are as thick as the chain on the crane and is better material not to mention there are two chains on the tailgate.MY concern would be the hooks on a non dropside bed?They seem to be easily bent?I haven't really seen a good way to mount one of these and still be able to use the troop seats? They do make a crane that mounts in a reciever type trailer hitch ..It swings to either side and is removable. It doesn't take up any bed space and is more handy as it can pick up from any positition ... Unlike bed mounted units.Northern tool sells them

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive thought about the same as the method to winch my quad into the bed.
I mounted a Warn ATV winch on top of the forward wall of the bed and use it to winch my ATVs inside. Just got loaded up for Dirtbag about ten minutes ago.

I use that winch to load the two big ATVs and then use the winch mounted on my bigger ATV to pull up the third ride. I could use the wall mounted one to do all three, but the cable would rub on the others as I pull up the last one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks