• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce w/ hiab 950 knuckleboom

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
A brief history...
After looking for a few days (actually about 3 1/2 years) I recently found and bought a knuckleboom crane to mount on my deuce.

The truck....
Purchased on Ebay started out its life as a M185a3 which I bought as a cab and chassis.

The knuckleboom...
1972 Hiab 950
everything works, and appears straight undamaged, but there are several leaks. The data plates are very weathered and dificult to read the but the last rating appears to match this description I found on the internet.
CAPACITY: 5,850 lbs. @ 11’ 5”; 3,950 lbs. @ 16’ 4”; 2,650 lbs. @ 21’ 4”

The recovery...
I arrived at approximately 10am to find the previous owner "getting ready" the boom was mounted to a skidsteer and due to a bad move was trying to unmount itself on to the roof of the skidsteer. After sppending several hours we righted the crane, used the skidsteer's hydraulics to make it into a tripod and then pulled the truck under. I decided to mount the crane as far back as possible for now so that I have room to set up the pto/pump.

The plan...
After I get the crane sorted out and positioned close to the cab I will reinstall the m756 pipeline bed. the current plan is to shorten the front of the bed by approximately 9" and removing the underbeed tool box. I hope to keep the stock spare tire mount & mount the hydraulic reservoir behind the cab & over the driver's side outrigger.

Parts to find...
mounting plates/spacers
assorted seals
hook & swivel

Attachments

Last edited:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
after close inspection, two of the data plates are legible with concerted effort.
One says "Do not stand under load" the other is the load chart, it reads "Safe Working Load"
5000kg/11000lb @ 1.9m/6.3ft
3750kg/8250lb @ 2.4m/7.9ft
2650kg/5850lb @ 3.5m/11.5ft
1800kg/3900lb @ 5m/ 16.4ft
1200kg/2650lb @ 6.5m/21.4ft

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would you disclose what you had to pay for said crane? I'd still like to do an M813 or M54A1 and just use a deuce bed.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
paid 1500 for the crane which included the use of the previous owner's skidsteer for mounting,a small bobcat excavator(used as a moveable anchor/weight), his help, his son's help(I think they were bored), and lunch.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
after close inspection, two of the data plates are legible with concerted effort.
One says "Do not stand under load" the other is the load chart, it reads "Safe Working Load"
5000kg/11000lb @ 1.9m/6.3ft
3750kg/8250lb @ 2.4m/7.9ft
2650kg/5850lb @ 3.5m/11.5ft
1800kg/3900lb @ 5m/ 16.4ft
1200kg/2650lb @ 6.5m/21.4ft
You'll be able to do some heavy lifting with that one! Here is the data from my 765A.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About shortening the bed, for you consideration, I mounted mine about 2 inches further to the rear and cut the "horns" off the front edge.

Edit: Added image

Attachments

Last edited:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
About shortening the bed, for you consideration, I mounted mine about 2 inches further to the rear and cut the "horns" off the front edge.

Edit: Added image

Unfortunately if i put the crane base as far forward as possible I am still 11" short with the bed stock length (horns already removed).
How much frame space does your's take up? mine is 32 3/4"
can you take some pics of how yours is mounted to the frame? I am thinking of making spacers that extend under the cab

oilcan

I don't have anything productive to add to this thread. Just thinking how useful that setup would be and wishing to find a "sugar momma" to foot the bill.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks