• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Wrecker Engine Swap

Armada

Those are great pics, I like the ragtop! Kenny, do you know what the BII parts were and did yours come with any? There has got to be a bunch of them for a wrecker.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, not much on the 108, its more of a crane. It was mostly bomb handling stuff and mine is long gone! Mine will have the soft top soon I hope.

JCease

I love the picture that has the 'doghouse' mounted on the back for the operator!! That would be one cool way to have a truck setup!! You work is nothing short of professional!! Keep up the good work and the progress!!

ps- thanks for sharing your project with us who are only dreaming of owning something green!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No pics this round but yesterday I put the Multifuel dash panel in. Was somewhat of an unexpected pain but got it in none the less. I brought home a really nice glove compartment door the other day but can't seem to find it. I might be able to get a few pics of progress today but look for some good ones this weekend. I'm moving engines from one trailer to another and dragging out the pipeline truck to reduce it to its raw elements. I'll be removing the transfer case and its PTO, chopping off the rear suspension and loading the front half on a trailer destined for the scrapper. Should be an interesting weekend and the crane will earn its keep and offset some of the hours I've put into it. BTW, the wife is starting to accept the truck as she can see its net worth now that its running.

mangus580

Outriggers on the 819 are the same, right? I think we forget sometimes that manual outriggers were alot cheaper, and Uncle didnt care about using more soldiers ;-)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hehe, I can handle my outriggers by myself. I bet Ron needs a forklift to install his. Nothing beats Bjorns can crusher jacks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I wanted to take some pics of the engines when I moved them but things happened so fast I missed it. Falling half way off the truck didn't help either. Got both engines in and ready to go. I'm finally getting rid of that dang 700R4 and 208 case that I was saving for a CUCV project. Pity it was under water after the hurricane. Anyway, heres a couple of pics.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled the pipeline truck out from its grave tonight and pulled it around to the drive hit it with the gas axe. Here are a few pics. When you look at the last one, tell me if you think I made the right decision scrapping this truck.

Attachments

Crazyguyla

Ken,

A little paint, some tires.. it'll look good as new rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl .. I could really use that cab off the pipe line truck, looks in better condition that mine ;) One word, the truck looks like a money pit.. The truck looks like it's been sitting submerged in the south Florida swamps.

Marcus

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny,
I could use the turn signals (even if they don't work) and the turn signal covers. ANYTHING electrical. Plus the two engine side cowls AND the J pipe exhaust. If you can spare the window frames (doors and the front window) I'd take them also.

Only if you can spare it. I'm collecting a pile of parts so I can refurb and share with people that need them for no charge. We gotta help each other in this hobby. Not all of us have big bucks.

I don't actually work, being semi-retired gunsmith. I also work on the barter system.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
J pipe is wasted. I'll cut off the turn lights, have some on the gas fenders too. I can't get anything in the doors to move. The windshield frame is staying for the wrecker. Passenger engine door is a little bent but useable, the drivers got crushed when DRs trailer blew over on it. I'll make a pile for you Jim. The lights are the old style, still want them?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken,
ABSOLUTELY.

Did you ever contact Todd Cantrell about your radiators? I know he had two running trucks that he's cutting up. I got a fuel tank. He even found a guy who is a deuce owner who is willing to steam clean it (at my cost) before shipping so Hazmat is no charge, according to DHL.

Do you think if you pulled the lower panel on the doors you could at least remove the window frames? If not, it's kewl, just thought I would ask.

And how are you and Brent coming on that motor oil/biodiesel mixture? Randy Barnes showed me a 100 gallon fuel tank that we are going to use to mix biodiesel in. We will weld legs to one end and cut the top off the other so we can insert a paddle system hooked to a small motor that would attach after we loosely fitted the end we cut off back on top (with a hole in the middle) with the paddle sticking up throw the hole. We would mount a pulley to it and run a small electric motor to agitate the biodiesel for a couple of hours. Let is sit a couple of days and SHAZAM, biodiesel. Add whatever amount of used motor oil you guys figure out as the correct formula.

We figure we could make three or four hundred gallons a month. Aproximately one batch a week. Should to prove interesting. Especially if Brent and I can get that 2 M1009 deal going.

Hey, DR, I did get the wifes approval. I also talked to my neighbor who teaches english as a second language to Vietnamese and Phillipino's here and Denver and he's pretty sure I can sell my Suburban to one of those families.

jim

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having seen it in closeup, I admit you made the right decision scrapping it. Most of the pipeline related parts were salvaged, which I think was a good thing.
PS. Don't forget my small request for the data plate and the fuel pump connector B4 you haul it off for good. Thanks.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken,
I should have been clearer about the J pipe. When you say 'wasted', exactly what's wrong with it? I'm considering some 'mods' and didn't want to cut up my good one. So a 'wasted' J pipe would be perfect for me.

IF you don't mind salvaging it and just putting it in the pile. I WILL either come get all this stuff myself OR have my surrogate (DHL) pick it up for me. All you would have to do is sign the form that I pay them to fill out for me.

jim