• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diablo Build Update (pics)

devilman96

Man... there is nothing like doing 12 + hours of moch up work to figure out you have to go back and rip out the head liner ya just installed just casue ya forgot to put in a little 2" piece of metal to screw your over head into... :roll:

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I would not be surprized to see some of the units asking for things like the bumper trays and back up lights and other such good ideas. You would have to tool up to FMTV diementions or you could work with Oshkosh or Stewart and Stevenson and get the ideas encorporated in some of the off the line trucks. I really like all the things you are doing but some of these are wow why didn't they put that on my truck. Kinda like the front loop fold up step on deuce and five ton trucks I am sure that idea is an add on.

Keep up the good work and I hope to see you not too long after I retire as a ROAD TRIP is in order after 35 years

devilman96

Ah... Some pics from the past several days...

I had to re-do the whole head liner... Cheap arse glue!!! It was sagging so when I added the over head I yanked it back out and made another.

The overhead houses the radio nicely... Its not exact what I wanted but for the time being it covers up the windshield wiper stuff and cleans the look up... Eventually I will take this out and build one out of sheet metal.

Made up two more shift knobs for the TC and PTO... Yes... Im borded...

Got the mirror brackets finished and installed finally... I think they look pretty darn good!

TO add to the fun around here Chuclkles brought down his new Pinz 712... SWEET!!! Man that thing is nice... We set out to do the brakes which didnt quite go as planned but ended up installing a magneto for a 12V system that turned out really nice...

Tires and wheels.. What a butt kicker this has been... I finally got a set of tires down here... G20's or 15.5's brand new, if anyone wants some their 85$ a pop which is one heck of a deal!!! I relocated the valve stems from the other edge of the wheel to the center of the wheel assy between the spider... I was going to powder coat these and im glad I didn't... because of time and the likes getting ready for GA I just opted to paint them which is easy to touch up... and its good being that I scratched the SNOT out of them getting them on the rim.... Man... I HATE mounting tires, generally when they don't fit my tire changer I call in the experts but that wasn't an option over the weekend... Depending on how I feel the other two may just get that treatment.

Any way... The front two are finished... Gotta do the rears now... WOW what a difference... Im very pleased with the offset, G did a great job thinking the back spacing out on these. I need to get some miles on these but I think by the time I make to back from GA I will be ready to start producing these if anyone wants them... 230-250$ each... which isn't bad for a straight wheel assy that doesn't leak!

Other wise im so sore I can hardly move... Im getting to old for this crap!!!! Another few days and I will be done for the second time... Be nice to actaully drive it again for a change!

Attachments

Elwenil

RE: looking good

Excellent work as always. I'd think about the Deuce rims a bit, somebody sure needs to produce a nice set of rims that are actually straight and don't leak, lol.

Now, do something with those marker lamps! :p

devilman96

Ah.... I had composite lights and canned them... I have brand new ones and dont want them... Im going to put in LED's soon but Im fiddling with what manufacture... SOme of these vendors would piss off the Pope!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I stopped by Mikes shop Saturday night on my way home from work. Got to check out Chucks 712 and it is nice, very nice. The GA contingent will get a first had view of the "Eurotrash" machine (Mikes Description). I also checked out the new rubber. They are very nice and big too. At that price I'd like to have some just for later use. Wonder what the wrecker or a deuce dump would look like with 5 of them on it? Also, the way the scallops are made on the wheels enables the valve stem to be accessed from either side. For those that didn't follow the other posts, the wheels can be reversed and using them wouldn't require flipping hubs. Dang cool.

devilman96

Ah yeah.. the stems... see pic...

I should also point out like Kenny was saying these rims are reversible to fit front or rear with or WITHOUT flipping the rear hubs on the truck. Thank Gerhard for that genius design feature, he did a lot of thinking and plotting to lay out the prints for these...

Attachments

devilman96

lol... oh you missed that post or part of the thread???

Their electric and on a remote control key chain... Kenny is right when he says you really have to spend a LOT of time looking the truck over to find all of the stupid things I've wasted my weekends and nights doing to it...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Note appropriate use of CHROME valve stems. Malibu, S Fla style! (I'll never hear the end of this one eh Mike?)

devilman96

I am quoting a line from a email I sent to G this morning about the wheels and valve stems...

Besides... the chrome is totally for the peanut gallery revolving around my truck
*second thought*.... I think im gonna go buy some of them LED valve stem caps for the GA trip rofl

superburban

devilman96 said:
*second thought*.... I think im gonna go buy some of them LED valve stem caps for the GA trip rofl
Yeah, yeah! And next you can get some tires that are way too narrow for the rims! And while we are on the subject of rims, you can loose those lame black ones and get a set of spinners! Then you can butcher your exhaust system in a fashion that adds nothing to performace, but makes your truck 100 dB louder! And then you could break the back of your seat so that it lays almost fully reclined, so that you can be as comfortable as an OG can be!

No, Devilman, I think you have done right by my standards. You have one beautiful truck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks